• Two exciting new Carpenters releases are in the pipeline! The new book Carpenters: The Musical Legacy will be available on November 16, 2021 and can be ordered here. A big thanks to the authors and Richard Carpenter for their tremendous effort in compiling this book! Also, the new solo piano album Richard Carpenter's Piano Songbook is being released January 14, 2022, and is available for ordering here.

đź–Ľ Gallery Carpenters Longboxes

Threads with gallery-like content.

Cuyler

Bright colored pinwheels go 'round in my head.
I have a video from I think Black Friday one year… we bought a Blu-ray and it was in a plastic longbox, but we didn’t realize until we got home that the cashier didn’t take the longbox off the Blu-ray. So I recorded my dad using all the tools to try to take that plastic longbox off. Hammers, different wedge-type tools, I think even a crowbar was involved. We were laughing because it was hilarious seeing my dad struggle with a piece of plastic. 🤣

Tom_P

I used to see longboxes of US imports and cut-outs in Tower Records and wonder what the purpose of them was. I don't recall seeing them anywhere else in the UK.

TimeWarp

I thought this was a longbox from afar, but it's actually a set of three albums. First time I've seen this one. I checked out what other items the seller has and they have a lot of Japanese CDs, some of which are pretty rare and sealed.

Cuyler

I thought this was a longbox from afar, but it's actually a set of three albums. First time I've seen this one. I checked out what other items the seller has and they have a lot of Japanese CDs, some of which are pretty rare and sealed.

I remember seeing that when it came out back in ~2006! I *believe* this was around the time when the Carpenters discography on "Remastered Classics" was going out of print, so their three most demanded albums--Close to You, Carpenters, and A Song for You--were kept in print but rather than selling them individually, Universal packaged them together, called it "Chronicles," and gave the consumer a little extra value for buying three CDs at once. I never got this set, though, since I already had the three CDs (bought individually) by that time.

Cuyler

I remember seeing that when it came out back in ~2006! I *believe* this was around the time when the Carpenters discography on "Remastered Classics" was going out of print, so their three most demanded albums--Close to You, Carpenters, and A Song for You--were kept in print but rather than selling them individually, Universal packaged them together, called it "Chronicles," and gave the consumer a little extra value for buying three CDs at once. I never got this set, though, since I already had the three CDs (bought individually) by that time.
How exquisite... this very forum came up in a Google search about the collection:

I *think* I remember seeing "Chronicles" in iTunes as well. This was at around the same time that iTunes was taking off as a digital music management software and beginning to take off as a digital music store. (Remember when songs purchased on iTunes were copyright-protected and had a bitrate of 128 kbps? haha!)

Harry

Charter A&M Corner Member
Staff member
Site Admin
Yep. Cuyler's correct. This was an attempt to sell off some remaining Remastered Classics CDs. The disc faces still had the misprint on the tan album - "CAREPENTERS".

It wasn't a bad deal if you needed these albums, and they are arguably among the best albums.

Here are some scans of my copy.

scan0016.jpgscan0017.jpgscan0018.jpg

The other "page" housed the other two albums. That fourth slot held the booklets for the three albums.

Cuyler

I don't want to venture too off topic, but I just remembered that Universal also did a "Chronicles" set for ABBA:

The three albums chosen for ABBA were their self-title album "ABBA" (1975), "Arrival" (1976), and "The Album" (1978). Similar to the Carpenters' three albums in the Carpenters' "Chronicles" set, these three are often considered ABBA's top three consecutive best-selling albums.

TimeWarp

Yep. Cuyler's correct. This was an attempt to sell off some remaining Remastered Classics CDs. The disc faces still had the misprint on the tan album - "CAREPENTERS".

It wasn't a bad deal if you needed these albums, and they are arguably among the best albums.

Here are some scans of my copy.

View attachment 6773View attachment 6774View attachment 6775

The other "page" housed the other two albums. That fourth slot held the booklets for the three albums.
Interesting, I thought each CD was in a jewel case and then packaged together in the longbox!

happymoogman

I didn't see anyone comment about this, but the reason longboxes were 12" tall was because LPs had been 12" tall, and the bins in stores were designed for them. Rather than make retailers buy new bins, they just took the old LPs out of the bins and put the long boxes in there. When the long boxes were eventually discontinued, dealers were forced to buy shallower bins for the smaller CDs.
Another thing: right before CDs came out, the average price for LPs had been about $10 each. When CDs were first introduced, they cost roughly $16 each, which was a huge jump up in price. It was a BIG profit margin for dealers, since the cost of making a CD was about $2.
Both LPs and CDs were for sale in the same stores at first, but one day, all the LPs were GONE. One was forced to buy a CD player and cough up the 16 bucks for a CD. I did get the last laugh (sort of) when the component Panasonic CD player (1 disc player) that I originally purchased, lasted 24 years before it finally stopped working!

Vinylalbumcovers

Ah am so steel een luv weeth yoo
I didn't see anyone comment about this, but the reason longboxes were 12" tall was because LPs had been 12" tall, and the bins in stores were designed for them. Rather than make retailers buy new bins, they just took the old LPs out of the bins and put the long boxes in there. When the long boxes were eventually discontinued, dealers were forced to buy shallower bins for the smaller CDs.
Another thing: right before CDs came out, the average price for LPs had been about $10 each. When CDs were first introduced, they cost roughly $16 each, which was a huge jump up in price. It was a BIG profit margin for dealers, since the cost of making a CD was about $2.
Both LPs and CDs were for sale in the same stores at first, but one day, all the LPs were GONE. One was forced to buy a CD player and cough up the 16 bucks for a CD. I did get the last laugh (sort of) when the component Panasonic CD player (1 disc player) that I originally purchased, lasted 24 years before it finally stopped working!

Yep. Retailers had to make record labels pick because of space concerns. "Either you want us to sell LPs and cassettes or CDs and cassettes. We won't do all three a moment longer."...and they essentially stopped. You could only find certain high-selling LPs but they were pressed for many albums at that point. I remember clearly when CDs were $16.99 a piece. The really sad thing is that just prior to Napster and for a long while after, they were being sold for $18.99. Record companies got extra greedy and the public made them pay for it. The digital cat was out of the bag and oh, what a time she had. So many were downloading illegally and it wasn't just about getting something for nothing; it was also a response to record company/retailer greed.

Ed

Rudy

¡Que siga la fiesta!
Staff member
Site Admin
The first three CDs I bought were $19.95 each, and that was about six months before I finally was able to import a grey market CD player from Japan in 1983. (Had an order in for months, and had to keep changing it due to availability. Sony's CDP-101 was too expensive at $1K and sounded nasty, so I avoided it.) Once 1985 rolled around, CDs at my favorite hangout were $14.99 or $15.99, and I was getting about two a week during my weekly visits.

The highest I ever saw LPs for was $8.98, even as CDs started to proliferate. Just prior to the CDs, the store I visited would occasionally sell new LP releases for $4.95 to get traffic into the store, not like they needed it since they were already popular. I bought Earth Wind & Fire's Powerlight for $4.95, and I also remember Synchronicity at that price for a week or two as well. I'd also wait for our regional chain's yearly Gran Prix sale, where I'd buy maybe a dozen at a shot--I think the entire store was 30% (?) off during those sales.

And I too well remember the longboxes fitting in the LP bins. Fitting existing store cabinetry and preventing theft were the two motivations for that, based on what I'd read at the time (probably in Billboard). That's one reason I didn't mind buying imports--they didn't have the wasteful longboxes.

Top Bottom