Carpenters music in the movies

Here is Richard Carpenter: “For All We Know” - Karen and I were in Toronto in November, 1970 to open the show for Engelbert Humperdinck. We had one night off before opening and our manager Sherwin Bash suggested we see the film “Lovers And Other Strangers”. We enjoyed the film and noticed the song “For All We Know”, which we recorded upon our return home.

We can imagine, 1970, "sitting in a theater," watching this scene from Lovers And Other Strangers:

Here is Richard Carpenter: “For All We Know” - Karen and I were in Toronto in November, 1970 to open the show for Engelbert Humperdinck. We had one night off before opening and our manager Sherwin Bash suggested we see the film “Lovers And Other Strangers”. We enjoyed the film and noticed the song “For All We Know”, which we recorded upon our return home.

Wow. I’ve never seen this before or thought to look for it. Even in its movie version, the song was always tailor made for Karen. I can hear now where Richard got the inspiration for the guitar intro by Jose Feliciano that was later cut.

And of course, this iconic scene from Tommy Boy;

Thanks for posting this! I'd never seen it, but it's so hilariously true...I know so many people who'd never admit to liking a Carpenters song in public, but get them in a car with the right song playing...

Not a song, but I remember the trailers on TV in 2002 for “Anger Management” featured the “Singles 1969-1973” album with Jack Nicholson’s character telling the other guy that he needed to throw out the Carpenters albums because they were ‘anger’ music!

Bill Maher just quoted a phrase from Close To You, making fun of you know who. Some of the panel looked puzzled but one guest and Maher said Carpenters at the same time. Kind of funny. On the day that you were born the angels got together and decided to create a dream come true. Part of a Rosenstein memo to his boss.......

Back
Top Bottom