• The new Carpenters recording with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra is now available. Use this link to order, and help us out at the same time. Thank you!

Carpenters near acapella songs

Breaks my heart we can never keep a thread going about the solo album, because yes, it is a fascinating piece of the Carpenters history!
It's like nothing else in their catalog, but yet it fits in with the best of the Carpenters. Look at Lovelines (LP) for example.
If people would discuss the music and not drag rumors and innuendos into it, the threads could go on indefinitely. But every one seems to degrade into name-calling and blame games.
Then let's just do that. Here's another personal favorite, a very beautiful vocal melody:

Awesome! You can hear Richard so much more on this. Keep em coming!!! Nothing would make me happier than to be quarantined listening to acapellas.
I could have put what I could of the left and right channel vocals, but wanted to focus on the center only, thus emphasize Karen on this one. The tool doesn't quite capture everything but does it well enough.
I'm thinking which one could be next (and if it can be done, not all might give as good results).

Proudofyou

Whatever hasn't been heard. And as many as possible. I'm gonna be a shut in for a long time it seems......lol. Anyway, I was once blown away by listening to the acapella of Masquerade. Especially the "oooooh" break. To be able to follow Rich's line there was fascinating.

Last edited:
Really don't want to create another thread just for one special mix before going back to vocal focus ones. Here's one mix I always wanted to do and until now with these tools I could get close as to what I wanted: ''Now'', with less choir as possible and more focus on Karen:

John Adam

Really don't want to create another thread just for one special mix before going back to vocal focus ones. Here's one mix I always wanted to do and until now with these tools I could get close as to what I wanted: ''Now'', with less choir as possible and more focus on Karen:
This is better already! I think the songs with heavy doses of choir really took away from the "Carpenters" sound. I wish that Richard and Karen could of had the time/energy to have done ALL the background vocals themselves. That was what made their recordings so distinct instead of so overdone.

Karen sounds better in 1982 than I would of expected. But she certainly sounded way different a decade before that!

Sue

I can never open these you tubes is there another link to it? Any ideas why it always says unavailable?

ullalume

Thanks so much for that. I was hoping for Now and you gave it to me. Now if you can make her sound more present with the tools at your disposal I can only dream how she'll sound on RPO2, if it ever happens. Alas I'm sure the choir will remain since Richard clearly has a blind spot when it comes to their merits ( not always ...but often).

Last favour....could you do the same for You're Enough. Pretty please.

GaryAlan

The vocal difference between Those Good Old Dreams and Now are clearly evident, also.
There was a dramatic alteration in Karen's vocals between those two songs.
Not sure how these "stripped" versions are generated (created) so it is difficult to be truly objective,
but, the song Now (in its a-capella-version) is truly frightening when you listen to it intently.
The choir masks some of the most obvious weaknesses (Now), but, if there were one song
that should never have been recorded (at that point in time), then Now is it.

Proudofyou

You are reminded in Good Old Dreams...it just goes to show that pure singing is all you need to get your point across. Just sing. She kept it so simple....yet nothing about her work was simple. The most nuanced, rich, and full singing a person can do or have.

John Adam

The vocal difference between Those Good Old Dreams and Now are clearly evident, also.
I've listened to NOW in different speakers.
My gut tells me that it was taking effort for her to do this vocal, where in the 70's her singing sounded effortless. "Goodbye To Love" clearly a good example of a song with difficult phrasing, and she made it seem like child's play!

"Now" almost sounds 'forced' in comparison to her earlier vocal work.
I have to give her some leeway though, as she hadn't recorded or sang much in many months by that point. She gave it a shot, and Richard gave it his best, to share with us. For that I will always be grateful, even if it's not their best outcome. :)

Geographer

I've listened to NOW in different speakers.
My gut tells me that it was taking effort for her to do this vocal, where in the 70's her singing sounded effortless. "Goodbye To Love" clearly a good example of a song with difficult phrasing, and she made it seem like child's play!

"Now" almost sounds 'forced' in comparison to her earlier vocal work.
I have to give her some leeway though, as she hadn't recorded or sang much in many months by that point. She gave it a shot, and Richard gave it his best, to share with us. For that I will always be grateful, even if it's not their best outcome. :)
And remember, too, I believe this was just a work lead? So it could be that, for her, she was just "phoning it in." But even when Karen just "phoned it in," it was pretty spectacular.

This is better already! I think the songs with heavy doses of choir really took away from the "Carpenters" sound. I wish that Richard and Karen could of had the time/energy to have done ALL the background vocals themselves. That was what made their recordings so distinct instead of so overdone.

Karen sounds better in 1982 than I would of expected. But she certainly sounded way different a decade before that!
Well, taking into account that the background vocals for this one had to be done after death, it was inevitable the use of the choir. And the choir was actually used very few times during Karen's lifetime.

Thanks so much for that. I was hoping for Now and you gave it to me. Now if you can make her sound more present with the tools at your disposal I can only dream how she'll sound on RPO2, if it ever happens. Alas I'm sure the choir will remain since Richard clearly has a blind spot when it comes to their merits ( not always ...but often).

Last favour....could you do the same for You're Enough. Pretty please.
Not sure how these "stripped" versions are generated (created) so it is difficult to be truly objective,
but, the song Now (in its a-capella-version) is truly frightening when you listen to it intently.
The choir masks some of the most obvious weaknesses (Now), but, if there were one song
that should never have been recorded (at that point in time), then Now is it.
Well, "Now" isn't "acapella" here, as I did left as much instrumentation as I could to make a mix that was as "choir-less" as possible. I will though, post both "vocal focus" of it and "You're Enough".

I am also considering the others, but the tools tend to focus on the more prominent vocals, so it doesn't capture 100% all the voices, but it is a good aproximation.

Top Bottom