Carpenters on Aussie ABC TV Saturday 18th January 2020

Another Son

ABC TV, (That's Australian Broadcasting Corporation), has advertised that it will be airing Carpenters on their 'Rage Retro' program this Saturday morning, (January 18th, 2020).

It's possible that only one Carpenters clip will be played and I'm guessing that it will be the 'Please Mr. Postman' promo video, filmed at Disneyland.

However, this Saturday night and Sunday morning, Rage Retro is also featuring clips from ABC's GTK show, ('Get To Know'), which was originally aired in the early 1970s and featured exclusive interviews and Australian concert footage of local and overseas artists as they toured the country. Sometimes, Rage Retro features the same artists on Saturday night as they show in the morning. I know that GTK did air a couple of Carpenters film clips, such as the promo of 'Rainy Days and Mondays', in the early 70s. However, I'm guessing that they never filmed or screened interviews with Carpenters or concert footage of them, as, when Carpenters toured in 1972, one of their concerts was screened exclusively on Channel 7, another TV station - although they did do a number of radio station interviews - so maybe they were allowed to speak to ABC, after all.

In the past, Rage Retro has screened the promo for 'Love is Surrender' in their repeat of the early 70s ABC show, Hitscene, and Rage itself has shown the promo for 'Superstar', as well as the promo for 'Close To You', filmed in the recording studio with K&R miming to the recording, Karen at the drums in a large, white shirt. (You've probably all seen it).

So my money is on just one run-of-the-mill film clip being shown this Saturday, that we've seen a million times on commercially-released DVDs, such as 'Gold' and "Yesterday Once More'. Therefore, I'm probably getting you excited about nothing.

The message posted on ABC's website earlier this week reads, 'We're heading to the era of flares, platforms and velvet for Week Three of Retro Month on Rage. That's right, Retro Ragers! This Saturday morning, the show will be packed full of hits from the 1970s! We've got Kate Bush, The Carpenters, Steve Miller Band and more videos bound to get you boogying. Then, for your Saturday night, we'll be paying homage to the 1970s series, GTK, with live performances, interviews and segments, featuring Pink Floyd, Sherbet, Masters Apprentices and more'.

The message above might have been written by a New Millennial who doesn't realise that you don't boogie to Kate Bush unless you've got eight legs, nor to Carpenters, unless you've swallowed some serious downers, and probably not to Steve Miller Band, either.

My other guesses for clips to be shown on Rage Retro, if not 'Please Mr. Postman', are 'Top of the World' or 'Close to You'. All three songs were Number Ones in Australia. 'Close to You' was the second biggest hit of the year in 1970, behind 'Let it Be' by The Beatles and just in front of 'In the Summertime', by Aussie group, The Mixtures. 'Top of the World' was released as a single in Australia almost a year before it hit Number One in America. In Australia, it reached the summit at the beginning of 1973 and stayed on the charts for over six months. 'Please Mr. Postman' reached the top at the beginning of 1975 and stayed on the charts for just under six months. 'Close to You' had an eight-month chart ride. Interestingly, the single that had the second to longest chart life in Australia wasn't a Number One - it was 'Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft', which spent just over seven months on the charts.

Hmmmm, I’ve just seen the actual playlist for Saturday, Saturday night and Sunday morning. It’s a bit disappointing. ‘Close to You’ only will be screened.

"The message above might have been written by a New Millennial who doesn't realise that you don't boogie to Kate Bush unless you've got eight legs, nor to Carpenters, unless you've swallowed some serious downers, and probably not to Steve Miller Band, either." :laugh:

Brian, you have to post more often!

"The message above might have been written by a New Millennial who doesn't realise that you don't boogie to Kate Bush unless you've got eight legs, nor to Carpenters, unless you've swallowed some serious downers, and probably not to Steve Miller Band, either." :laugh:

Brian, you have to post more often!
I enjoy your posts as well, Carpe diem. :)

In case you were wondering, the clip shown on Rage Retro was the promo of ‘Close to You’ with K&R miming in the studio, Karen at the drums in the white shirt.

I was hoping that a unique interview or something would be shown in the GTK section as well, but, no.

However, the track listing for the episode demonstrates perhaps that Carpenters are now considered more significant than they once were. If you look at the other artists, you can see that they’re all the type who are considered cool and influential - maybe with the exception of ABBA, but they, too, have become more ‘cool’ in the last twenty years or so:-
  • CREEDENCE CLEARWATER REVIVAL Looking Out My Back Door (Festival)
  • STEVE MILLER BAND The Joker (Capital Records)
  • THE CARPENTERS Close To You (Polydor)
  • ABBA Take A Chance On Me (Mercury)
  • THE BEE GEES Stayin' Alive (Polydor)
  • THE CARS Just What I Needed (Warner)
  • KATE BUSH Wuthering Heights (EMI)
  • PINK FLOYD Money (Polydor)
5:30am
  • THE ROLLING STONES It's Only Rock and Roll (Virgin)
  • THE RAMONES Rock 'N' Roll High School (Warner)
  • SEX PISTOLS God Save The Queen (Virgin)
  • HEART Barracuda (Portrait)
  • BLACK SABBATH Paranoid (Vertigo)
  • QUEEN Bohemian Rhapsody (EMI)
  • DAVID BOWIE Boys Keep Swinging (EMI)
  • JOY DIVISION Love Will Tear Us Apart (Festival)

I know that GTK did air a couple of Carpenters film clips, such as the promo of 'Rainy Days and Mondays', in the early 70s.
This is something I would love to see! I saw "Superstar" on YouTube (not edited/tinkered with like on the "Gold" disc) and would love to see more, even if the clips are in B&W.

the 'Please Mr. Postman' promo video, filmed at Disneyland.
I have so many feelings about the way this video was treated on "Gold/YOM." I went through the video, frame by frame in some areas, to figure out what was warping the speed. Two things: 1) Gold/YOM froze Karen at the moment she was on the ride (the original film does not); 2) there is one cut between two scenes that has a frame hold for maybe 3 or 4 frames (out of 24 frames per second). (Note that I am talking about a video that was de-telecined on Handbrake and runs at 24 fps, as is standard for American film.)

"Rage" always does a great job at presenting films and tapes as they originally were in the 1970s... hoping a copy of their "Please Mr. Postman" film surfaces soon :)

I have so many feelings about the way this video was treated on "Gold/YOM." I went through the video, frame by frame in some areas, to figure out what was warping the speed. Two things: 1) Gold/YOM froze Karen at the moment she was on the ride (the original film does not); 2) there is one cut between two scenes that has a frame hold for maybe 3 or 4 frames (out of 24 frames per second). (Note that I am talking about a video that was de-telecined on Handbrake and runs at 24 fps, as is standard for American film.)

"Rage" always does a great job at presenting films and tapes as they originally were in the 1970s... hoping a copy of their "Please Mr. Postman" film surfaces soon :)
Don’t know what you mean by “American film”. 24fps is the worldwide standard for film. There was the odd show shot at 30 fps (like ‘Max Headroom’).

as for Karen’s from frame, I wonder if the film master was damaged in that section and they just froze the last good frame

Don’t know what you mean by “American film”. 24fps is the worldwide standard for film. There was the odd show shot at 30 fps (like ‘Max Headroom’).

as for Karen’s from frame, I wonder if the film master was damaged in that section and they just froze the last good frame
I stand corrected -- "NTSC film" runs at 23.97 fps (NTSC vs NTSC Film), and my de-telecined MP4 also runs at 23.97 fps.

I stand corrected -- "NTSC film" runs at 23.97 fps (NTSC vs NTSC Film), and my de-telecined MP4 also runs at 23.97 fps.
I don’t think the original film would’ve been shot and edited at 23.97 fps, as these music videos would’ve been designed to play anywhere: TV, theatres before a movie. The film was probably done at full 24fps for maximum compatibility. Plus any TV station oversea in PAL/SECAM territory would work better with a 24fps print than a print designed for NTSC issues.

Back
Top Bottom