Carpenters on Broadway?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony

Considering the success of "Mamma Mia" (which, I think, Richard Carpenter saw in L.A. and enjoyed) as well as shows running in New York about the Mamas and the Papas, Rosemary Clooney, and others, I think that a theatre production featuring the Carpenters music is in order. (I believe there have been shows in London, and perhaps one in San Francisco if I remember correctly, so I know I'm not the only one thinking along these lines). Their life story and their music couldn't be better-suited for the stage. An acquaintance of mine has been seriously considering writing and producing such a play, but it would be a small-scale, off-Broadway deal. Does anyone know if Richard has ever considered getting behind something like this?

Tony

The musical Mamma Mia has nothing to do with ABBA's life story so I guess the guys agreed to have their music used to portray someone else's life story.

Because of the past bitter experiences, I'm afraid Richard wouldn't help produce any musical tragicomedy :?: to sneer at ther career.

The Carpenters fans would of course want to see a real true story about their lives but to make it a sucessful show, its other producers would demand something more shocking or fictious.

No more blame on Mom Carpenter, please. :cry:

Still, it would be great to hear C's songs performed in a musical.

MAMMA MIA! has a story written AROUND the songs of ABBA, but is not in any way about that group. The story centers around a woman and her daughter who live on an Greek island and run a hotel. The daughter is about to get married, but unbeknownst to the mother, the daughter has invited the three men she learned about in her mother's diary to her wedding, thinking that ONE of them must be her long-lost father. The songs are worked into the play in the most ingenious way.

Though I'd love to see it done for Carpenters music, I don't know how many times this formula could work, nor if would work with Carpenters music.

Harry
...who's seen MAMMA MIA! two times, online...

I edited my original post to reflect that Mamma Mia isn't about ABBA but simply features their music (I've not seen the show).

Tony

I Agree Richard is unlikely to Approve Any Carpenters Related Personal
Life Story Musical -Unless Richard Acts as Co-Producer and Has Final Veto Over Content ? :confused:

Richard Could Compose with John Bettis Stage Musical with New Songs and Use Some Carpenters Original Songs -Richard did Refer to Planned Musical in 1981/1982 as Future Project -Probably Influnced by The Wedding Song (Because We ..) and Look To Your Dreams -Show Tune Style Songs ....But Like Several Projects .....Still on Back Burner .... :sad:

Certainly Feel Richard Could Use Early Musical Experiences With Jazz Trio , Spectrum & Osborn Garage Periods as Great Basis For Broadway Musical ....Great Potential ....Storyline and Varied Music Styles :)

Peter

Yes, it's doubtful that anything substantive would ever come about unless Richard had control of the project. I've heard he's very protective, and rightly so, of how the Carpenters' music is used. For example, I was told that Richard refused a request to allow Carpenters songs to be used in a movie called "Broken Hearts Club" a few years ago. And around the same time, the folks who were making the Charlie's Angels movie asked to use "Close to You" and were turned down as well.

Tony

Is there any possibility that they are going to use Carpenters material to make fun of something or someone?

I've seen a few movies featured Close To You: The Best Defense starring Eddy Murphy, in which the song played where a geisha girl was appearing.
What's the song got to do with a geisha?

Something about Mary co-starring Cameron Diaz, and the song played where the leading guy was in a john peeking Cameron out of its window and zipped up his thing.

Another song Superstar played in Boys side and Whoopi Goldberg sings it playing the piano. What did you think about this movie? I liked it anyway.

When I saw Serial Mom, I didn't like Barry Manilow's Daybreak sung by the killer mom Kathleen Turner.

I think they have a lousy taste using such beautiful material for unusual scenes.

I'd rather see movies like Bill and Ted's Bogus Adventure.

And don't forget The Simpsons, which used Close To You in two different episodes and then Top of The World again in to different episodes. None were the "actual" Carpenters recordings, but it is nice to know that their music has some pop viability.

I always smile when I hear a Carpenters song in an unexpected place. Just a few weeks ago I was watching a "Friends" rerun and Phoebe, Monica and Joey (or was it Chandler?) were all singing "Top of the World". It was really cute.

Oh, by the way, I hear PBS will be re-broadcasting "Close to You: Remembering the Carpenters" this winter. Check your local listings <g>.

Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom