Carpenters on Dorothy Hamill Special

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff

Something I've never heard mention of is "Make Me Laugh"...K & R sang this on the Dorothy Hamill t.v. Special around 1978 or so. I've never seen or heard of its whereabouts since. Does anyone else remember this?

Jeff

This is a fun song , originally from the classic "Singing In The Rain " Film performed by Donald O' Connor.

Richard considered this track amongst the selections for ATGB (2001).

Hopefully this could be released on proposed Box Set as an extra rarity or future rarities set 2004 /2005 ? :o :o

Would be good to include a clean , remastered audio Film performance on next Carpenters Video / DVD release :) :)

Would that special be worth getting? I've never seen it or even clips of it. I've seen maybe one picture from that show.

Any comments on it?

Pamela
http://forum.leadsister.com

The "Make Me Laugh" number from the Dorothy Hamill special lasts about 2:40. The first verse is sung mainly by Karen with Rich harmonizing in spots. The two are on a darkened set, both on ice skates, and in between them is a snowman on skates. Dorothy introduced him as the mascot to the winter carnival at which this special takes place. About 45 seconds in, after a short instrumental interlude, Rich begins the second verse, while comical scenes from the winter carnival are shown (people falling in the snow, etc.). Karen harmonizes on this verse. Then there's another verse played instrumentally by the orchestra while the comical scenes continue. One more verse concludes the number. It's started by a choral group (the O.K.Chorale?), and quickly joined by both Karen and Rich. The instrumental track is full of "laughing" brass instruments as people fall in the snow.

It's an OK-sounding song, and like much of the AS TIME GOES BY album, really belongs to a TV special and wasn't recorded with the idea of it being released as an audio-only song on a record.

Harry
...digging out old TV tapes, online...

I feel that Make Me Laugh shows the versitility of the Carpenters style. On the style of Steve and Edie, this song shows how one can have fun with different styles with a song, not concentrating on hit songs for entertainment value. I recorded this on a cassette recorder when this special aried and played it continually for awhile. I enjoy Karen singing in harmony to Richard in the second verse. It is a fun song!

Craig

Harry said:
The two are on a darkened set, both on ice skates, and in between them is a snowman on skates. Dorothy introduced him as the mascot to the winter carnival at which this special takes place.

The snowman's name is "Bonhomme Carnaval", the mascot of the Quebec Winter Carnival, where the Dorothy Hamill special was taped.

Speaking of Quebec, has anyone heard from Manon?

Murray
...pointing out a rare Canadian Carpenters connection...

This is an interesting song. Karen looks too thin and Richard looks awkward, as usual, in front of the camera. It's a catchy tune but it's corny and only appropriate for a 70s TV show skit. I hope Richard puts it on the new Box set, because it would be nice to hear this 'cleaned up.' Karen sings this in what I call her late 70s 'chipmunk' voice/higher/nasally voice.

I wonder if this time period is when Karen and Dorothy Hamil's friendship blossomed. Apparently, they were good friends.
Steve

The song from "Singin' In The Rain" is titled "Make 'Em Laugh", written by Arthur Freed & Nacio Herb Brown with music based on Cole Porter's "Be A Clown". Is this the song in discussion? Mac

I always thought that Olivia Newton-John was Karen's longtime girl friend? But we will never know exactly, because in those days it wasn't possible to talk about that kind of friendship.

:twisted:

I've heard many rumors over the years, and some from fans with lots of connections, that Karen and Olivia were more than just friends. I've heard that rumor about Olivia in the 1980s with other ladies. These are just rumors, so in my opinion, it probably is untrue. It's hard for me to picture our adored Karen having a lesbian affair despite rumors.

Steve

I've heard those rumors, too, but as I wrote, we will never know exactly. Certainly Richard won't tell us, because it could upset conservativ fans.

Whether Karen loved women or men or both, I don't care. I admire her as a singer and a musician; I don't adore her like a goddess or something. I only wished she would have found someone she could have spend her life and be happy with, woman or man.

If those rumors were true, they would explain a lot of Karen's life.

Despite having 5 kids with his cousin at a later age in his life, there will always be even stronger rumors about Richard's sexuality. Personally, I could give hoot what he does with his social life. Apparently, he's been spotted in gay bars in the LA area at times (yes, a rumor but a 1st hand one). So, I feel badly for his family if he's living a farce but that's his choice.

When I watched "Remembering the Carpenters" recently (excellent video, by the way), I couldn't help but think, "this man is not straight."

Well, I've heard no rumors about Richard; but for a long time now I'm thinking that he is gay.

But, you know, if this would be true, it would not only be carriere suicide admitting one's homosexuality, at least in the USA (here in Europe the society is much more liberal about this, see Elton John). That's the reason why Barry Manilow never would admitt being gay, if those rumors are true that are going around about him for many years now.

No,the main problem is, that Richard comes from a very conservative, repressive family, and he does everything to keep up this "happy family image".

I think that the family pressure is mainly responsible for Karen's eating disorder and Richard's drug addiction.

But, we will never know exactly, won't we?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom