• The new Carpenters recording with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra is now available. Use this link to order, and help us out at the same time. Thank you!

Carpenters on French tv (1981 unseen)

newvillefan

I Know My First Name Is Stephen
Wow!!! Wish we could see the full clip of this. From that very brief snippet it’s also clearly another live vocal performance. This is the one remaining 1981 television appearances that has never previously surfaced. Which brings me to this photo...so where is this from?

October 1981

What I’ve come to realise is that this photo was probably taken during a rehearsal on one of the shows we’re already aware of. Karen’s casual dress would seem to suggest so. I doubt she’d go on national television in a jumper :laugh:

Last edited:

WYBIMLA

Can't wait to see the full clip. "Touch me" is the gift that keeps on giving apparently. We saw this before from another low quality clip that surfaced in recent years, but I didn't know they sung this song live twice that year. We know Rich hates live recordings, but so cool for fans to see something "new." KC's hair and makeup was on point in this clip. She sounds good too.

newvillefan

For completeness’ sake not forgetting this one :)

I’m fascinated by the newly discovered Palmares clip though. It looks as though it would be my favourite of all their 1981 appearances. I love the clothes she’s wearing in it and she’s singing live. I’m really hoping that the full clip will surface at some point.

Carpe diem

I've read about their TV performances in France during the 1981 Made In America tour and that we don't have the footage... Well here's some !

It's only very short but Karen is singing "Touch Me When We're Dancing" live and I've never seen her in this outfit before. This is actually pretty good quality but where is the rest of the footage !?!?

Variétés - Palmarès 81
Nice find, Simon. Where is the rest of the video? I'll bet RC has a copy of it...

Greg

I’m fascinated by the newly discovered Palmares clip though. It looks as though it would be my favourite of all their 1981 appearances. I love the clothes she’s wearing in it and she’s singing live. I’m really hoping that the full clip will surface at some point.
Me too. I love Karen's fashion at this time. That red in France in gorgeous. It's an indication of maybe how the solo album would have been dressed.

John Tkacik

I've read about their TV performances in France during the 1981 Made In America tour and that we don't have the footage... Well here's some !

It's only very short but Karen is singing "Touch Me When We're Dancing" live and I've never seen her in this outfit before. This is actually pretty good quality but where is the rest of the footage !?!?

Variétés - Palmarès 81
I wonder why that website is showing this clip? Could they be planning to stream a rebroadcast of that show?

newvillefan

Here’s the footage, which has just surfaced on YouTube. The last previously unseen clip from 1981 that we’ve all been waiting for :love:. I can’t believe how closely the camera is focused on her face throughout, she’s clearly ill as we all now know but still beautiful. Just wonderful to see this after waiting over 20 years.

Last edited:

Billy Rees

Simon... You beat me to it! Lol... I left a comment for the person who had uploaded the 1971 appearance on French TV of them singing the Bacharach Medley and told them about this appearance also... I never thought they would be able to get it though!

goodjeans

The vinyl label at this stage at A&M was red and black, very much like many of Karen's outfits at this time.

Murray

Serious question... how did Richard mime playing an acoustic piano? His fingers are moving, and the keys look like they are being depressed, yet I can't hear any sound coming from the instrument... did he put pillows between the hammers and the strings? :confused: :laugh:

Who could have imagined that this video would surface after all these years? I'm glad that we've been given the opportunity to watch it, even though it is very sad to see Karen in such poor health.

GaryAlan

Thanks for the new performance clip from 1981. I never thought that one would surface.
However, brought me to tears to see Karen's appearance.
Given her physical appearance, I am astounded she sounded as good as she did.
Still, obviously her voice was affected by her illness.

Jarred

I’d disagree. She sounds spot on here, just like the recorded version and it’s much better than the Holland 1981 live vocal appearance where she sounded weak and was off key at times.

Compare:

I’ve never heard her voice more weak than on this latest clip, she sounds much worse on it than the Holland one. I felt horrible that a thought passed through my mind that it sounded like mediocre karaoke in spots, someone trying to sound like Karen but the richness just wasn’t there

Kacfan

It’s New Year’s Day 2020, I am watching this clip, and tears are running down my face. Seeing her like this i just want to give her a hug. So glad that we finally got this clip. She voice is weakened but she still sounds amazing to me in many ways. Does anyone know if this is before or after Holland?

Carpe diem

How could she look as good as she did during this Japanese telethon appearance which was August 1981 and look so bad a few months later?

;

Mmikasa

The website leadsister.com has a complete listing of the Carpenters travel dates. It lists in order, from September - October 1981, England, Germany, France, Holland then in October to Brazil.
I guess now I know what I'm doing New Years Eve. Happy 2020 to everyone.

A&M Retro

Thanks for sharing this incredible clip with us! I agree with Stephen that Karen sounds much better here than on the show from Holland. She looks so drawn, but still has the pretty smile we all know and love.

Top Bottom