1. A&M Corner can now be found on Instagram! Follow us on our new account at @a.m.corner .
    You may also follow us on Twitter: @amcorner.
  2. We have received word that UMe is aware of the problem with the Carpenters vinyl releases, both the box sets and the individual LPs, and has offered a solution. To receive a replacement, send a proof of purchase to UMGCustomerSupport@umusic.com. UMe prefers email, but those who prefer phone contact may call 1-800-288-5942 to speak to Customer Support.

Carpenters on Lee Denson (1966) Magic Lamp

Discussion in 'A Song For You: The Carpenters Forum' started by JayJayVA, Jun 8, 2018.

1. JayJayVA

JayJayVA Active Member Thread Starter

goodjeans likes this.
  2. Chris May

Chris May Resident 'Carpenterologist' Moderator

Definitely not hearing either one of them.

3. Mark-T

Mark-T Well-Known Member

Me neither.

4. newvillefan

newvillefan Well-Known Member

Richard and Karen - especially Karen - had a really distinctive sound, even as early as 1966 and even just when doing backing vocals. I don't hear either of them anywhere on these tracks. One of the female voices on the second track sounds vaguely like Karen but it could be anybody.

Intriguingly, several sites do refer to them having been on the tracks, they could be buried in the mix with the other singers (but I'm sure my ears would pick them out) or it may be that someone found out Richard and Karen were on the same label, made the assumption it was them and it became folklore.

Grant Guerrero mentions it on his site too and makes the reasonable assumption they could be there, buried in the background:

"I can't identify either Richard or Karen's voice, but the backing vocals sound like they're being sung by several people, so it's possible Richard and Karen are in there singing".

Lee Denson a.k.a. Jesse James: The South's Gonna Rise Again (2001)

LEE DENSON

Lee Denson

popsike.com - Rockabilly Lee Denson MAGIC LAMP 45 w/ Karen Carpenter - auction details

Lee Denson - Sixteen States / Mississippi Bridge

The only way to know for sure is if Richard is able to confirm or deny it.

5. Chris May

This was the same footnote added to the Mickey Jones single that was cut on Magic Lamp. I asked Richard specifically about that a few months ago and he told me Karen definitely did not record any vocals on that one. $100 bucks it's the same story here. Not sure where the rumors started but oh well.

newvillefan likes this.
  6. It's similar to the rumors that were going around that Karen had recorded backing vocals on Roger Nichols & The Circle Of Friends song "Snow Queen".

7. Chris May

Didn't she just sound GREAT on that!! :rolleyes:

8. It also reminds me that back in the dark ages of the Internet, rumors of a Lani Hall appearance on an Edu Lobo album surfaced. It turned out that Lani indeed had credits on the album, but it was for scribing the English lyrics to two songs.