Carpenters Perform Carpenter CD-> July29

Status
Not open for further replies.

SakuraSYayoi

According to the book "Carpenters", in the interview with Mr. Shun-ichi Okano, who proposed "22 Hits Of The Carpenters" and 30th Anniversary box set to Richard, he(Okano) says that "CARPENTERS PERFORM CARPENTER" (the title of CD is temporary) may be relased in FALL OF 2003. It is the new compilation CD.

Sakura

Oh boy! Yet another compilation CD! Please give me a minute to contain my excitement...

Sarcasm aside, this sounds like one of those projects (think of BY REQUEST) that will only see the light of day in Japan. It certainly will never get released in the U.S.!

The best we can hope for is maybe an unreleased demo or Spectrum recording of an original Richard Carpenter composition, or *maybe* a new remix or two... Please give me another minute, my excitement is overwhelming me again.

Yawn. It's late. But I hope you'll forgive me for this momentary outburst of enthusiasm about yet another collection of the same material we've seen released a dozen times before.

David

Hi David,

I'm so glad that my post seems to have rung your excitement.
You had made a wonderful site! I have seen your pages many times
since I found your lovely site before. I thank you for showing me albums
that I had never seen.
Yes, we saw best LPs or CDs had been released. But I think "The Singles 1969 - 1973",
"from the top", "Interpretations" and "Carpenters Perform Carpenter"
means something different from others. But I cannot explain it in English well.

If this new compilation CD will be relased this Fall, I don't want a new remix.
If we want Richard to reimix a song, I'm afraid that Richard's Christmas Album
might not be relased this year(?) I want to listen to a New Christmas Album
this year, I realy do. But I hope Richard will make time to choose songs
and decide how to put songs in order.

And if Richard make another one, I want the songs before the Carpenters and
Richard/John Bettis songs. I can dream, can't I? Richard seems to have many tapes
in his house and 'Yesterday Once More'.

As for in Japan, there were only three-Carpenters-original albums
in Carpenters Sales Best 10 according to the book "Carpenters"
that I talked about in another topic. (They say that the number of sales of albums
is the sum total only in a chart in period.)
1 Now And Then , 514,000, chart 1, 101 weeks
3 Horizon , 214,000, chart 1, 32 weeks
7 A Song For You, 102,000, chart 5, 45 weeks
But "22 Hits Of The Carpenters", over 3,000,000
(me? I have both "22 Hits" and "CD + DVD 2 Disc Set".
But I love Original Albums. I have 2 sets of LPs from "Ticket To Ride" to
"Now And Then" and CDs, too.)
Mr. Okano (Universal Music) thinks he will form various plans and
continue taking out Carpenters CD.
I hope that you will write to A&M to make them release more Carpenters CD.
(We wrote and wrote to NHK-TV and finally the Carpenters Special were broadcast.)

Sakura

I know that most of you feel diffrently than me, but I only want a new cd if a new song of Karen appears. I will not buy a new cd by Richard for Christmas. I like the ones available just fine. And, as for the title of the new compilation, I feel it is in poor taste, kinda like Elton John Performs John.

A Carpenter-Bettis Carpenters Collection has more warmth.

Craig

There was a Japanese release of Carpenter and Bettis compositions, which is out of print now. You'll locate it in Yuko's mook. There's no photo of the two writers but only a picture of an American highway and their names on its cover.
The selections from this cd are enjoyable and maybe a collector's item.
Maybe It's You comes from the Japanese Treasures version and has no segue. I heard this release might have a problem with copyrights and that's why it was not so popular and out of print, too.
If you are one of us who have enjoyed Richard's talent, listening to Time, Lunch, PACC and so on, then I'm sure you'll love that kind of release.

CraigGA said:
I know that most of you feel diffrently than me, but I only want a new cd if a new song of Karen appears.

Craig

I agree with your statement. How many times can the old songs be rereleased. I have most of the hits on atleast 3 or 4 different compilations. I will not buy a new compilation unless it has a new song (with Karen singing) or possibly some radical remix. I do like hearing a good remix of an old favorite. I actually wouldn't mind hearing some dance remixes of some of Karen's solo songs.

Do you really think that all the compilations are for the fans?

I would venture to say that most of the compilations are to bring in new Carpenter fans from a whole different generation. Most of the kids today don't know much about the Carpenters, if you ask kids today they will probably only know "WOJB & CTY"

I personally also don't buy compilation CD's I will only buy one if there is something quite different about it, but not for just one verse of a song, I won't.

So I think that by us fans saying "Oh I'm not buying another carpenters compilation" Doesn't really matter to who-ever is putting out the Cd. There probably just geared toward trying to get new fans to listen or more importantly just trying to make money, it's all about money.

Chris-An Ordinary Fool said:
Do you really think that all the compilations are for the fans?

So I think that by us fans saying "Oh I'm not buying another carpenters compilation" Doesn't really matter to who-ever is putting out the Cd. There probably just geared toward trying to get new fans to listen or more importantly just trying to make money, it's all about money.

You do have a point there. Although there have been quite a few compilations released lately in Japan. But as I recall Japan has always been big on releasing compilations. By 1979 King records in Japan had already released something like 5 or 6 Carpenters compilations. And it is just all about money - because really new fans can easily purchase the "Yesterday Once More" collection which has been out since 1984 - and they will get an excellent sampler of the best of The Carpenters.

Good point, Chris! Thanks.

Talking about NHK-TV,

--Olivia Newton-John sung "Close To You"--
I wrote to you in PM that NHK-TV(Japan) taped Olivia's concert on the 4th of April,
and it would be aired on BS Dijital (satellite broadcasting that I don't have) on June 7th.
They say that it will be 90 minutes program.
It was announced at the concert hall that NHK BS2 broadcast the concert too.
But yesterday I read that an Olivia fan asked NHK BS2 when it would be aired, and
the answer was NHK BS2 would not air.
I will e-mail NHK BS2 to broadcast Olivia's Concert, and I hope that we can see that
Olivia sings "CLOSE TO YOU" as 350hunny wrote on another topic and see the screen
in which KAREN and OLIVIA are together on TV.

Another TV,

--Olivia answered "Elton John, Cliff Richard, KAREN CARPENTER....."--
I recently watched "The RuPaul Show" for the first time. It was taped 06/98 and might be
in AU(?). At quiz corner they asked who were the guests in Oliva' s first TV Special. Then Olivia
answered as above. I thought she had mistaken, but I enjoyed the program. When someone
talks about Karen in happy days or time, sweet smile is on my face.

Sakura

I'm of two minds about compilations. On the one hand, it's not like there's a real need for another Carpenters compilation. There are so many that I can't even begin to count them, particularly some of the older Japanese LP compilations and others released throughout the world.

BUT, if a new album in the racks gets just a tiny amount of promotion, it keeps the Caprenters legacy alive for potential new audiences, and that's a plus. In recent months I've enjoyed seeing the combo CD/DVD of the 20th Century Masters album paired with the Gold DVD prominently displayed in the racks. It's a nice-looking package, and if I were a potential new fan, I might spent the bucks to obtain that pairing. As it is, I've not bought it since I already own the individual entities.

So if a new package of old stuff is released, perhaps it will serve to bring more fans into the fold. A silver lining...

And then there's the possibility of a new remix or two...

Harry
...looking at the positives, online...

According to Yuka(Yuko)'s site, "Carpenters Performs Carpenter" is to be released in the US on July the 29th.

As Chris says, the compilation CD may bring in new Carpenters fans from a whole different generation!?

Sakura

Sakura, do you know why Yuko changed her name to Yuka? I, too, received her newsletter this morning. Maybe there will be something NEW on this compilation?!! Sigh!! :rolleyes:

Marilyn, online and hoping ...

Hi Marilyn,

I'm sorry but I don't know why Yuka changed her name. Some Japanese chage their names by the reason of since their fortune is not good. But Yuka does not explain why she changed it on Japanese site.
In fact, I was not her newsletter member. I became a member day before yesterday. I have not received her newsletter. Coming soon?

I'm looking forward to listening to "CPC" CD. What songs?
But I hope another CD or DVD. From TV program or Live, too!!

Sakura

I'm all for keeping the CarpenterS catalog alive and vital...but, how MANY times can you remix Top OF The World and Yesterday Once More? Maybe there'll be a dance remix of I Need To Be In Love...I can only hope for interesting liner notes and packaging. Yes, I will buy it. Being a CarpenterS completist I can't seem to help myself. Whenever I need to hear something "fresh and new" I pop in As Time Goes By. However, a couple hundred more listens and that too will be relegated to the 'classics heap'. Apparently, all of us stateside, have to wait for Japan to release ATGB 2. Maybe it's a money thing and the proceeds from sale of this new disc will substantiate the release of more hidden catalog jewels...

wishing and wanting...as usual,

Jeff

This Carpenter / Bettis Album is Long Overdue , Japan Issued a Songbook CD in 1988 , but this Curiously Included Solo Richard Carpenter Cuts as well :confused:

If Richard is Going to Issue New Compilations , Collections of Key Songwriters Would Be Best , Other Sets Covering Bacharach / David and Williams / Nichols are Overdue , Richard Could Include Remixes and Even Better -Alternate & Live Versions and Some Unissued Archive Tracks :)

I Assume as this is USA A&M / Universal Release , Only 16 -18 Tracks will be Included Due to Publishing and Copyright Costs ? Whereas UK OR Japanese Issue Could have 21/22 Tracks :o

Aside From Carpenters Original Singles (6 -Issued Worldwide) , Interesting to see Richard's Selection of Key and Favourite C/B Songs and Which Albums / Periods are Most Heavily Represented !

Hope Richard will Include Detailed Liner Notes from Both Himself and John Bettis , Rare Photos , Some Remixes and State of the Art Remastering as on 2002 Releases :)

Hope against Hope , Richard May Include One Early C/B Carpenters Outtake and Perhaps Most Interestingly Some Karen Lead Vocals on Previously Richard Vocal Tracks .....Karen Takes on Saturday , Turn Away , Your Wonderful Parade etc as with Box Set Issue of Get Together ...... :D

Peter....Looking Forward to CPC......

Please look at the homepage of the site....on top of the News column you'll see that the "Carpenters Perform Carpenter" compilation IS coming out in the US, and it will be released on July 29.

(This is according to ICE magazine, which is usually very accurate.)

Interesting Cover -Features One of My Favourite Carpenters Pictures -Karen and Richard Sat in Americam Classic Car :)

Richard's Photo Looks Like an Outake from PACC Album Photography ?

Would Have Been Good to Have Carpenter & John Bettis Photo-Perhaps There is One on Inside Cover / Art Work :o

Certainly Hope Richard Has Included Original and More Detailed Liner Notes , More Rarish Photos and Lyrics :D

Peter

That photo of Richard looks very good, it must be either a touched up photo or a really old one cause I hardly see a wrinkle on his face & I know he has them, have seen other photos of Richard in past couple years & he doesn't look like that. But it is a nice photo of him.

Why would he use a photo of Karen & him from another album on the cover of this new one?

Can't wait to find out which version of MCD is on this CD, this bonus word has me really curious. ummmm

Thank You so much Sakura for that link to info on the new Cd. I enjoyed reading that. I'm actually looking forward to this release even though it is a compilation, I'm going to buy it. :)

A photo of Richard on the cover of a Carpenters compilation is not a good idea.It almost looks like a solo album of Richard performing the old Carpenters tunes.(sort of like "Richard Carpenter Performs Carpenters")Incidentally,14 out of 18 CPC tracks are on the ESSENTIAL boxed set.I would recommend just buying the boxed set.

Thanks for your messages. I'm glad to share the article and cover photo with you. I found the same article on Lycos, Interest!ALERT, prophet NET, Streaming Magazine and Yahoo.

Sakura

Some of the Carpenters fans should write directly to Universal or Richard suggesting a better idea.:idea:

He listens to us and so Rainbow Connection and When He Smiles found their way to AS TIME GOES BY.

You don't buy The Essential Collection as you already have From The Top.
You don't buy 20th Century Masters: Millennium Collection
as you already have all of the selections in it and heard them before.
You don't buy Carpenters Perform Carpenter
for the same reason above.

As for AS TIME GOES BY. well :?: :?: :?:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom