Carpenters Perform Carpenter CD-> July29

Status
Not open for further replies.
One more thing:

>Also, where can I find the studio version of "From This Moment On"?

It is, conveniently enough, on the INTERPRETATIONS CD. However, there are two different versions of it. The original version with the mono piano track (the one heard on the DVD) is on the UK edition of INTERPRETATIONS.

For the U.S. release of INTERPRETATIONS, Richard re-recorded the piano track in stereo. His performance differs slightly from the mono version, which is probably why the mono version accompanies the video -- otherwise it wouldn't sync up perfectly.

David

Where have you found this disc the least expensive? Tower Records had it for $18.99! No way will I pay that for songs I already own multiple times.

Mark

Chris-An Ordinary Fool said:
I always preferred the Mono sound of this song from the video. The UK CD I always wanted to get just because of this. It's hard to find though.

The UK/Canada release of Interpretations had an extra five tracks that we in the US didn't get. Thus, it's easily recognized as the one with 21 tracks as oppsed to the US' 16.

Harry
...thankful that a Canadian procured this for him, online...

I paid 14.99. I should have pre-ordered it, I think it was cheaper but I don't mind cause I figured I would have wasted 2 gallons of gas running around town trying to find it.

I had hopes to go & purchase both the CD & DVD (Interp) at local retail stores but after hearing everybody here, I opted to just order online, not the way I wanted but nice to get a package when I got home. The DVD was only 11.00 so happy I was happy about that.

Harry, I've been talking about getting that UK version of Interpretation CD ever since Ran's old Carpenters forum was up, one fine day I will get it.

Edit: Since this was a US release, do you think other countries like the die hard Japan fans try to make it a point to get this CD, just like we do when there are is a Japan Only release? Just curious if other fans from other countries are like us, we have to get everything Richard puts out.

As Sakura has pointed out, it appears that Carpenters Perform Carpenter will be yetting European releases soon. I'm sure that the Japanese are not far behind. Still, as you suggest, I'll bet there are a fair number of Japanese fans that have already procured this new compilation for the States.

As for locating the 21 track international version of Interpretations, try http://www.gemm.com There are several sellers there who look reputable that seem to have that one listed. The catalog number of that release is 314 540 251-2.

[edit: just found the 21 track release at HMV in Japan: http://www.hmv.co.jp/product/detail.asp?sku=812239 and curiously enough, what looks like a 19-track version at amazon.co.uk - but the catalog number is the same, so I think someone left off two tracks in the list ]

Harry
...checking INTERPRETATIONS availabilities, online...

I went to amazon.co jp. There was song list of "Carpenters Perform Carpenter" [FROM UK]. They say "Merry Christmas Darling" is SINGLE version. "Top Of The World" is Karaoke Version, newly mastered versions for "Maybe It's You" and "At The End Of A Song".
Must we get UK version? How will Japanese version be?

Carpenters Perform Carpenter [FROM UK] [IMPORT]
¥2,684

2003/09/01

1.Top Of The World (Karaoke Version)
2.Maybe It's You (Newly Mastered Version)
3.Crystal Lullaby
4.I Need To Be In Love (1991 Remix)
5.Sandy
6.Mr. Guder (1991 Remix)
7.All Of My Life (1987 Remix)
8.Yesterday Once More (1985 Remix)
9.One Love
10.Those Good Old Dreams
11.Because We Are In Love (The Wedding Song)
12.Only Yesterday (1991 Remix)
13.Eve (1987 Remix)
14.At The End Of A Song (Newly Mastered Version)
15.Goodbye To Love (1985 Remix)
16.Look To Your Dreams
17.Karen's Theme
18.Merry Christmas Darling (Single Version)

Here is the link to amazon.UK.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...23264/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_0_1/026-6966841-8762001

Sakura

Merry Xmas Darling-Maybe it says single version because it was the 78 single version? Or could this be the earlier single version?

I wonder if there will be 2 different CD's, US & Import with different bonus track?

Because UK released Merry Christmas Darling taken from Christmas Portrait in 1990 as a single cd AMCD716 coupled with You're The One and Close To You, I guess they call it a Single Version.

Though Top Of The World is listed as Karaoke Version, I doubt it is cosidering its necessity of being the only Karaoke track here.
Best Of Best includes double cds of 1991 remixes and karaoke tracks respectively and was released in 1992 in Japan .

My guess is that the UK version is the same as the US one, suspecting the only difference between the two is only a matter of different expressions of the same trakcs.
But you have to buy one to make sure of it. :sad:

I'm wondering what kind of sales this album is generating? I've seen little, if any, publicity. I'd like to think that a good seller would encourage another release. Say, USA's As Time Goes By. Or perhaps some unreleased solo work...I know, keep dreamin...

Jeff

I just received an email from amazon.de, informing me, that CARPENTERS PERFORM CARPENTER won't be released here in Germany..... :sad:

I checked out the british store, amazon.co.uk, and I discovered, that CPC will be released in the UK on September 1st. Hopefully, I can order it as an import CD.

Bruno
angry about UNIVERSAL :mad:

I don't think that "Carpenters Perform Carpenter" was released in Canada, at least I haven't seen a copy of it anywhere. I'd consider buying a copy if I could get it locally, but I can't justify ordering it as an import when there is absolutely nothing new on it.

I was in A&B Sound this morning, buying a new car stereo, when I noticed a copy of the "Interpretations" DVD on the shelf. All DVDs were 20% off today, so I snapped it up! :) They also had "The Essential Collection" box set (the first copy I've seen here), but it was priced at $103.99!! :mad: I guess I'll just have to make do with "From The Top"...

Murray
...who'll finally be able to play his CDs in the car! :D ...

Murray,

I hope you will get "The Essential Collection" box set at "off" price.

It may be not good example, "Bette Midler Sings the Rosemary Clooney
Songbook" was priced at 2236yen now and yesterday but at 1678yen this
morning at amazon.jp.

To Barry Manilow fans,

The CD is as "Rosemary For Remembrance" at amazon(US). It was produced by
Barry Manilow.
"You'll Never Know" will may be the first song of the album.
I want to listen to Richard sing this song.

I read that Richrad would perform(?) with Rosemary Clooney somewhere. Do you
know about it?

Diane Schuur's " MIDNIGHT" was released on 12th of this month in US. It was
co-written and produced by Barry Manilow. They say that it is the enhanced
CD (in US but not enhanced CD in Japan). I wonder Carpenters enhanced CD
was released or will be released.

In the movie "Unconditional Love" Barry Manilow sings "Can't Smile Without
You". Japanese in France watched the movie at theatre. The movie will be
released this October as DVD and video and was broadcast on cable in US.

As I posted before on 'A Small Circle of Friends: The A&M Forum', Barry
Manilow will sing on Dionne Warwick 's "My Friends and Me". She hopes the CD
will be released by Christmas.

Bruno,

I'm sorry that you could not receive the CD made in Germany.
But I still see the CD that was released on August 12th as "Perform
Carpenter" not as "Carpenters Perform Carpenter" not as import CD at
amazon.de.

http://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000AM6QE/qid=1062117696/028-7603922-5664556

Sakura

Murray, I felt the same way about the new CD, but because I liked the cover pic so much (nice photo of Richard) and the tracks were some we don't hear too often on compilations, I got it, I'm pretty impressed with the sound of the CD.

I'm with you, wow 103.99 for The Essential Collection set, I would never pay that. Guess that is why I still don't have it & probably won't get it.

I have the original 12x12 box set of From the Top with the cool large color picture book inside, I'm very happy with the box set, it's one that I play very often.

Thanks for the information, Sakura! :) I just ordered CPC again at amazon.de. Let's see, what will happen.

Bruno

You are welcome, Bruno. I hope you will receive CPC soon.

Sakura
P.S. Did you go to manilow.com lately? Yesterday I saw Barry's clip there.

Well, after waiting for weeks, today I got my copy of CARPENTERS PERFORM CARPENTER through amazon.de! :)

I haven't listened to the CD already, but I read the booklet. Nothing new. But one interesting note is, that the author calles KAREN'S THEME Chaplinesque. I remember, that Chaplin composed some instrumentals, and I have this special one in mind, I think, it's from the movie LIMELIGHT. A friend of mine had it on CD, years ago. I don't own it. But I remember how the instrumental went, and it is indeed a bit similar to KAREN'S THEME.

Bruno
happy to complete his Carpenters collection

Bruno,

So many days
Mister Postman passed you by

You have waited patiently. Any way, Congratulations!!

Thanks for your post.

I wonder your "Carpenters Perform Carpenter" has "Top Of The World (Karaoke Version) ".

Sakura
...enjoying Barry & Bette's "On A Slow Boat To China" from "Bette Midler Sings The Rosemary Clooney Songbook"...

Thanks for your congratulations, Sakura! :)

I, too, ordered Bette Middler's new album, but I haven't received it yet.

I will listen to CPC now, before going to bed.....

Happy greetings!

Bruno
crystal lullaby :wink:

Bruno said:
But one interesting note is, that the author calles KAREN'S THEME Chaplinesque. I remember, that Chaplin composed some instrumentals, and I have this special one in mind, I think, it's from the movie LIMELIGHT. A friend of mine had it on CD, years ago. I don't own it. But I remember how the instrumental went, and it is indeed a bit similar to KAREN'S THEME.

Remember too that Carpenters recorded all of their stuff at the A&M Recording Studios, which were originally built by Charlie Chaplin for his movie studio.

The last track on Herb Alpert's last album for A&M (MIDNIGHT SUN) -"Smile", composed by Charlie Chaplin.

Harry
NP: radio at work

Thanks for the info, Harry, I wasn't aware, that Chaplin was the former owner of the studio complex.

I listened to CPC yesterday, and I enjoyed it very much. At first, I was very sceptical, oh no, not another compilation! But the idea to focus on Richard as the songwriter was a good idea, in my opinion. Perhaps now he has a chance to become an inductee to the Hall of Songwriters, or how is it called? Manilow was inductee last year, if I remember this right.

The only track I don't like on this new CD is BECAUSE WE ARE IN LOVE. I never liked it. I would have preferred I HAVE YOU from the HUSH album, or GOODBYE AND I LOVE YOU from HORIZON.

KAREN'S THEME fittingly closes this compilation.

And MERRY CHRISTMAS, DARLING is a fine bonus track, and it's good, that there are some seconds silence before it starts. So you can skip it, if you don't want to hear it. But I think it has a right to be on this CD, because Christmas music is an important part of the Carpenters catalogue.

Bruno

I think it's called the Songwriter's Hall of Fame, Bruno. I have often wondered how it could be that Richard has been overlooked all these years. For some reason the industry doesn't value his writing. His induction is long overdue in my opinion. If there were someone to write to about this, I would do it! Suggestions, anyone?

Marilyn,
who is also awaiting Bette's new album!

An afterthought--I think John Bettis WAS inducted into the Songwriter's (or is it Songwriting) Hall of Fame.

Marilyn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom