CARPENTERS PERFORM CARPENTER going out of print

Mike Blakesley

Staff member
Just got notice from our CD distributor that the CARPENTERS PERFORM CARPENTER compilation is going out of print this month.

Not a heartbreaker in my book, but it is an interesting compilation.

I'm not surprised. It has never generated much buzz and features the lesser favored Carpenter sibling on the cover. As a compilation, it's nearly identical to an old Japanese compilation, the Composer's Series, not that THAT'S particularly easy to find these days.

Harry

I really liked this compilation; however, I thought it went out of print a long time ago. I'm happy that it stayed in print as long as it did. I thought it was one of the best sounding compilations in terms of quality...very vibrant and clear, which, in my opinion, is most evident on One Love.

I am struck by the clarity of this compilation, also.
Karen's vocals are way up front, even on "Because We Are In Love".
The drums are prominent on each cut.
Crystal Lullaby sounds Fantastic, as does One Love.
The entire production of this cd is classy.
Richard gave us some great compositions.

What I'd like is for John Tobler's book to be reprinted:

The Complete Guide to the Music of the "Carpenters" (The Complete Guide to the Music Of...)

Listening to these Richard Carpenter songs, off of this cd compilation,
and decided to try and place the approximate dates of their composition:
Top of the World, Early to Mid 1972 (Coleman,page 131, performed Houston Summer 1972)
Maybe It's You, 1968 (From The Top Liner Notes)
Crystal Lullaby, 1968 ( Liner Notes MFSL 1989 Song For You)
I Need To Be In Love (1976?)
Sandy , 1976 (1976, Coleman)
Mr. Guder , Late 1967 (Essential Collection Liner Notes)
All of My Life , 1966 or 1967 (From the Top/1966, Treasures/1967)
Yesterday Once More, Early 1973 (Coleman, page 128)
One Love, 1967 (Carpenter Web Site)
Those Good Old Dreams, ? Early 1981/Late 1980 (Coleman, page 285)
Because We Are In Love, Spring to May 1980 (Coleman, page 283)
Only Yesterday, Late 1974-Jan 1975 (Recorded January 1975, Interpretations Liner Notes)
Eve, 1968 (From the Top/Treasures)
At The End Of A Song, ? Early 1982 (?Source?)
Goodbye To Love, Fall 1971 (MFSL Liner Notes Oct 1989)
Look To Your Dreams, 1974 (Treasures, Coleman page 327)
Your'e Enough, ?1982 (?Source?)
Merry Christmas, Darling ,1966 (From The Top Liner Notes)

Please proffer additional information, or corrections, or comments.

Interesting list! I'm sure the Wedding song was written later than Spring 1980. Karen only met Tom in April and they didn't announce their engagement until two or three months later. I remember anecdotes about it being a rush job for her wedding, so July/August would be my guess (she married August 31, 1980 and they were still mixing it days before).

'At The End Of A Song' was recorded during the MIA sessions so had to be written 1981 or earlier.

Thanks so much, Stephen!
I was very much torn as to placing the date of composition of Because We Are In Love, because, as you correctly point, out they were
'rushing' to complete the recording with Peter Knight (ibid. Coleman).
July 1980 Fan Club Newsletter: Happy to announce forthcoming marriage....Richard's intention to compose a personal message for the
bride to sing..."

Thus, Stephen, your guess is right-on!
Newsletter#69, February 1981, "...Richard and John have created two more masterpieces.."
And, Newsletter #81 July 1984, "..
.At the End of A Song recorded during the MIA sessions."
And, right you are, again!

The compilation is a nice one (man, how I hate having a Christmas song on a compilation, no matter how much I love the song). The compilation did make me appreciate "At The End of A Song."

Normally, I would concur. Alex and Stephen!
However,in this instance, the song, Merry Christmas, Darling is quintessential Carpenters.
Such a musical masterpiece, and, besides it is the last (' bonus track') track of the compilation.
I rather wish the songs had been sequenced in the chronological order in which the songs were composed.

Normally, I would concur. Alex and Stephen!
However,in this instance, the song, Merry Christmas, Darling is quintessential Carpenters.
Such a musical masterpiece, and, besides it is the last (' bonus track') track of the compilation.

I came across this interview with Carnie Wilson (i..e daughter of Brian Wilson and member of 'Wilson Phillips', a female harmony group who were really big in the 1990s). Carnie talks about her Christmas solo album and from 0:45 talks briefly about this song and about Karen.

Nice find, Stephen!
Her favorite singer, Karen Carpenter....I would never have guessed!
I'll have to refresh my musical memory on this group --I remember the group
Wilson Phillips, though, none of their songs!

I've always loved Wilson Phillips first album. Much like A SONG FOR YOU, it was laden with radio-friendly pop singles.

Initially, upon hearing "Hold On", I instantly thought that the harmonies, partially sibling in nature, reminded me of the great overdubbed harmonies of Carpenters.

When my wife and I were first listening to The Corrs TALK ON CORNERS album, she asked me whether there was any connection to Wilson Phillips, and sure enough, one can find Glen Ballard as a common link.

Harry

I've always loved Wilson Phillips first album. Much like A SONG FOR YOU, it was laden with radio-friendly pop singles.

Initially, upon hearing "Hold On", I instantly thought that the harmonies, partially sibling in nature, reminded me of the great overdubbed harmonies of Carpenters.

When my wife and I were first listening to The Corrs TALK ON CORNERS album, she asked me whether there was any connection to Wilson Phillips, and sure enough, one can find Glen Ballard as a common link.

Harry

Great to hear you love them too Harry. I've gotten back into them in a big way in the past few weeks. I loved their first album too, chock full of great radio-friendly songs as you say. I love many of the album tracks as much as the singles (Ooh You're Gold and (Someday I'll Be) Next To You in particular). Glen steered them through their early stages when they were preparing to launch as a band in 1989, there's footage of them demo-ing songs in the studio with him on youtube. I distinctly remember an anecdote where Glen had tried recording their harmony parts individually in the recording booth and it just didn't work. The only way he could capture the magic was to have them all in at the same time, singing around one mic.

My favourite track of theirs has always been 'Release Me' - I recall Chynna Phillips announced it on stage at one performance as being "three-part harmony from start to finish!". They use it to start their concert performances nowadays by singing the opening acapella line off stage and it's always note perfect.

Last edited:
I was thrilled to discover that Capitol released a WILSON PHILLIPS GREATEST HITS album that featured a number of their hits in their single edit form. I often like to hear recordings in their "hit" form, and most of the album tracks were slightly altered for radio play.

I also have some of their single CDs with other mixes and Spanish/Spanglish versions.

Meanwhile, I was on record as being a bit miffed that CARPENTERS PERFORM CARPENTER had the Christmas track included, but at least it was placed at the end.

Harry

Another group I'll have to give a new listen to. I must have dismissed Wilson Phillips as being a teeny bopper group. Or a "children of celebrities cashing in on their names" band. I remember 'Hold On' getting air play at the time, but didn't appreciate their talent. Kind of like so many people did with Carpenters music. :doh: I also remember Carnie Wilson on a talk show (maybe Oprah?) talking about being ridiculed by the press for being overweight. I think it was she and MacKenzie Phillips who were trying to get people to remember that Mama Cass Elliot was a wonderful, talented person, not just fat joke fodder. I'm sure Karen's name came up in that interview too. But I digress . . . sorry.

Carnie & Wendy Wilson released "Hey Santa!" in 1993. Then it was Carnie Wilson who released "Christmas With Carnie" in 2007. Then it was Wilson Phillips "Christmas In Harmony" in 2010. Matt Clark Sanford, MI

I have C performs C in my car now and had only played it once at release. Mr. Guder made the hair stand upon my arms. I'm half way thru it and marvel at the sound quality. I used to find the strings in ONE LOVE to be very sharp as in screechy but they've been refined here and an ever pleasant listen. Shoulda grabbed more back in the day to go with the rest of the bounty.

Jeff

I must say, listening to this compilation reinforces my love for Richard Carpenter's
Classic arrangements.
Some of these compositions have remained all-time favorites.
As Singles:
Only Yesterday (....drums,vocals, I even enjoy the very last chorus when Richard sings "Only Yesterday..y...y...").
Top Of The World (....this used once as a Wake-Up call for the Shuttle astronauts...)
Yesterday Once More (.... adore the use of 'every sha-la-la-la, even the remix with added guitar is great....)
I Need To Be In Love (....that original album opening and ,especially , Karen's rendering in December 1978...)
Goodbye to Love ( ...with the cold opening , after the countdown, Karen so stark...)
Merry Christmas, Darling (...I notice Hal Blaine on drums...who played drums in the early concert?)
Album Cuts:
Crystal Lullaby (those harmonies, exquisite)
All of My Life (love that ending)
One Love (...I wonder what became of the version with the alternate piano interlude?)
At The End of A Song ( I'd like to hear a stripped-down version)
Look To Your Dreams ( ...Thanks, Karen, for urging this to be recorded....)

Why not include the fantastic:
Caught Between Goodbye And I Love You ?

Interesting how my perspective changes as time progresses.
As much as I love this compilation, I can't help but think
how it would sound if I replaced all of the remixes by the originals !
Perhaps, that will be my homework assignment.
Some of the remixes do not sit as well with me, anymore.

Does anyone else not like the remix of "One Love"? I appreciate the clarity to one of my favorite songs of theirs, but that "tick, tick" sound over and over drives me NUTS. It's so much clearer here (or added?) and it distracts from the song. I'm assuming it's a drum sound and it grates on me. Am I the only one to hear and get distracted by this?

Listening to these Richard Carpenter songs, off of this cd compilation,
and decided to try and place the approximate dates of their composition:
Top of the World, Early to Mid 1972 (Coleman,page 131, performed Houston Summer 1972)
Maybe It's You, 1968 (From The Top Liner Notes)
Crystal Lullaby, 1968 ( Liner Notes MFSL 1989 Song For You)
I Need To Be In Love (1976?)
Sandy , 1976 (1976, Coleman)
Mr. Guder , Late 1967 (Essential Collection Liner Notes)
All of My Life , 1966 or 1967 (From the Top/1966, Treasures/1967)
Yesterday Once More, Early 1973 (Coleman, page 128)
One Love, 1967 (Carpenter Web Site)
Those Good Old Dreams, ? Early 1981/Late 1980 (Coleman, page 285)
Only Yesterday, Late 1974-Jan 1975 (Recorded January 1975, Interpretations Liner Notes)
Eve, 1968 (From the Top/Treasures)
Goodbye To Love, Fall 1971 (MFSL Liner Notes Oct 1989)
Look To Your Dreams, 1974 (Treasures, Coleman page 327)
Your'e Enough, ?1982 (?Source?)
Merry Christmas, Darling ,1966 (From The Top Liner Notes)

Please proffer additional information, or corrections, or comments.
Gary, with regards to "Top Of The World", I remember John Bettis saying that the song title was conceived during a jet flight out of Nashville after a concert tour. A look at their 1972 concert schedule would pinpoint when that occurred. The song was written soon after that flight.

Back
Top Bottom