CARPENTERS PERFORM CARPENTER going out of print

Does anyone else not like the remix of "One Love"? I appreciate the clarity to one of my favorite songs of theirs, but that "tick, tick" sound over and over drives me NUTS. It's so much clearer here (or added?) and it distracts from the song. I'm assuming it's a drum sound and it grates on me. Am I the only one to hear and get distracted by this?

That's the hi-hat on the drums being played. It distracts me as well but not as much as the bass drum on Druscilla Penny. I swore when I listened to the vinyl copy of the album that the needle was jumping.

"Since you began to follow groups of long-haired rock 'n' rollers (THUD)
I can hear your mother (THUD) crying for her daughter"

That's the hi-hat on the drums being played. It distracts me as well but not as much as the bass drum on Druscilla Penny. I swore when I listened to the vinyl copy of the album that the needle was jumping.

I know what you mean with the Thud's, but Druscilla Penny (which I actually have an odd fondness for, in a 70s kitsch kinda way - and that's a kind of virtue for me, seriously) isn't on the same level of quality as One Love, which features a beautiful arrangement and vocal. I don't mind the wonky experimentation on DP in the way I do with the re-tinkering of OL.

But yes, the hi-hat that's it. It's small but I just can't focus on anything else. I believe it was done in 1994 which was the same year Richard realized that he didn't have to drown Karen in reverb on every remix, so that's one plus for this song.

By the way, I like the Cover of this cd-compilation quite a bit:
IT is an example of what I implied when highlighting Karen on the earlier Album Covers.
In this instance, obviously, the CD-Cover "highlights" Richard's Profile,
but, still retains "the Carpenters" as a duo !
So, the Cover does justice to both:Richard and Karen.
Not to mention, the great music between the covers !

In this instance, obviously, the CD-Cover "highlights" Richard's Profile, but, still retains "the Carpenters" as a duo ! So, the Cover does justice to both:Richard and Karen. Not to mention, the great music between the covers !

I think the concept of this album will have just fed Richard’s ego.

^^I understand the viewpoint.
However, I had always wanted the Japanese CD "Composers Series" which
featured Carpenter/Bettis songs. I never did find that cd, so I appreciated this one
when it came along (2003).
The artwork throughout this cd compilation is very classy.
And, almost every song is a winner for me ( save the obvious ones--Sandy and Mr. Guder--imho, trite).
How it left off
I'm Caught Between Goodbye And I Love You
continues to baffle me.....

This is a fantastic compilation with the clearest and cleanest sound of any of the various compilations. I use the songs from this CD as the go-to source for downloading to my iPod as the sound is just superb. And I agree, I'm Caught Between Goodbye and I Love You should have been on this CD.

It distracts me as well but not as much as the bass drum on Druscilla Penny. I swore when I listened to the vinyl copy of the album that the needle was jumping.

I thought the same thing. My first copy of Carpenters was used vinyl, so I thought it was just a weird pop or some flaw in the record. When I finally got in on CD a few years later, it took me by surprise to hear it there too since I couldn't believe it was intentional. I still think it sounds odd even all these years later (although I love the song).

This album intrigues me. I have hardly ever heard of it until now. :hide: What's the sound like-- are these remixes or "new" versions?

One track that I didn’t like on this album was “Karen’s Theme”. Richard should’ve picked one of the tracks from “Time” that he co-wrote.

Old thread but I happen to own this in mint condition there are no marks on my disc at all and it’s been played many times. I change my CD cases every so often to keep them looking nice :)

I actually liked this compilation more then I thought I would.

I suppose this topic refers to the physical CD? Will it, like many other titles, still be available for download? I, personally, passed on this one as it was during the era of WAY TOO MANY Carpenters compilations! LOL

Oooo... I paid 130. Still has traces of upc sticker and you can tell it was never taken outta the case. I usually pay for the more expensive options I usually don’t get screwed. Ticket to ride remastered classics I got “f****d” over even when paying over 100. Kept getting Japanese, Canadian, and club editions. But sometimes you find rarities like you said for $14. You just gotta watch like a hawk daily for someone who doesn’t know its true value. At the time it was the only on available.

Tom there is a difference between very good and never taken out of the case. You can tell because it was hard to remove the first time and the tray was the original. But good find getting it that cheap. That’s really cool!! Lucky you :)

Tom there is a difference between very good and never taken out of the case. You can tell because it was hard to remove the first time and the tray was the original. But good find getting it that cheap. That’s really cool!! Lucky you :)
Actually I’ve had my copy since 2003. As I recall it was pretty easy to remove it when I first opened it.

It’s a rarity now mine is worth $130 and that’s what it was on eBay.

I think someone saw you coming there young man, because that cd isn't worth anywhere near $130, I don`t care where it`s from!
people need to get away from this `well that`s what it is on Ebay` thing, because that site is full of chancers who hardly ever sell these high priced items. I look on Ebay almost every single day and some of the prices astound me, but months later, even a year later, they still haven't sold, so like I said, just because it`s on Ebay/Amazon at a given price, dos`nt make it so!

Indeed - this CD, even though it's out of print, isn't rare at all. Copies frequently appear online for $10 or under.

The “beauty” of eBay. Sorry that @Kristopher was taken like that. It’s readily available from a variety of sources beyond eBay. The price gouging is getting worse over there and I turn to eBay less and less as time passes.

Ed

The “beauty” of eBay. Sorry that @Kristopher was taken like that. It’s readily available from a variety of sources beyond eBay. The price gouging is getting worse over there and I turn to eBay less and less as time passes.

Ed

Oh well the past is past at least I have a copy oh my God I don’t want to think about what I spent on that offering 8 track. That’s a price hard to argue with tho. I was definitely ripped off for the carpenter performs carpenter however somethings I believe the price was indeed justified. How many people on here have found A ticket to ride remastered Classics USA with UPC sticker SEALED on eBay recently?

I noticed that I find some things way cheaper on Discogs. Oh yeah you get ripped off for Lovelines with CD-Rs whereever you go.

Reckless Records, Chicago, has a copy for $4.99,
this is a reliable outlet, with low prices on all of their product.

Reckless Records, Chicago, has a copy for $4.99,
this is a reliable outlet, with low prices on all of their product.

I go to all 3 locations all the time. Thanks for telling me I may go pick it up! I’ll call today to ask for a week hold. Every time I walk in the store they don’t sell crappy records and all their CDs HAVE to look unplayed for them to take it.

I was Born and raised in Chicago and have never left.

Back
Top Bottom