Carpenters rare video clips

I'm not sure this has been posted before but it appears the CarpenterS appeared on Dick Clark's American Bandstand's 25th Anniversary on Feb 4, 1977. It appears they performed the song, We've Only Just Begun. I don't think this video has ever surfaced. Here are 2 sites that talk about this tv special and one has a screen grab of Karen and Richard. Has anyone ever seen Karen in this colored outfit? It's new to me.

Check out the 3rd paragraph mention of Carpenters

Here is the credit for the screen grab, why does this studio look somewhat familiar?

phgYt7f.png

I just realized Karen wore this dress at the very end of The Carpenters TV Special in 1976, the ending when they do the medley she's in a different outfit but after the commercial break she comes back in this outfit to say goodnight as We've Only Just Begun is played but they don't sing the song.

So it appears (correct me if I'm wrong) they must have performed this for American Bandstand after they rapped up this tv show. 2 separate events but at the same studio.

I have seen a clip with Karen singing part of 'We've Only Just Begun' accompanied only by Richard on piano, which was for a short TV appearance on some other show, but I couldn't find it on Youtube. I think Karen might be wearing a red pant suit in that clip, though.

I bought a set of very blurry videos pre-internet days for an exorbitant amount of money - all listed as 'Excellent Visual Quality' and, in fact, so washed out that you could barely make out Karen and Richard. Many of their TV appearances were on them, if you could actually make them out. Listed is 'Dick Clark:- Dion Tribute. I have a note written next to this saying, 'Nice snippet / clip of 'We've Only Just Begun'. Unfortunately, I don't have a VCR set up to view the clip. I seem to remember a tribute at one of the music awards and a little box coming up with Karen and Richard performing in it. I just did a search for 'Dion Karen Carpenter' and 'Dion Dick Clark' and couldn't find anything like this on Youtube. My memory could be failing me and the little snippet of 'We've Only Just Begun' might be some snippet that we're all very familiar with, instead of a unique performance. I've got a feeling that Dion was presenting a tribute at something like the American Music Awards in 1983 soon after Karen's death- but then I don't know why the title reads 'Dick Clark:- Dion Tribute.

...but I'm thinking it's because a clip might be shown of K&R on Dick Clark, as Dion presents the tribute. I could be totally off the mark, though.

I'm not sure this has been posted before but it appears the CarpenterS appeared on Dick Clark's American Bandstand's 25th Anniversary on Feb 4, 1977. It appears they performed the song, We've Only Just Begun. I don't think this video has ever surfaced. Here are 2 sites that talk about this tv special and one has a screen grab of Karen and Richard. Has anyone ever seen Karen in this colored outfit? It's new to me.

Check out the 3rd paragraph mention of Carpenters

Here is the credit for the screen grab, why does this studio look somewhat familiar?

phgYt7f.png
Hi i just posted it, enjoy😊

Interesting clip, thanks for posting. I thought they performed the entire song.

Re watching the very end of the 76 special with them saying goodnight and the song playing seemed kinda weird and now I’m wondering if they were going to perform a short version of this song but ran out of time for tv. I mean why would Karen change outfits to this one just to say goodnight in a 30 sec ending?

Ugh. That clip exemplifies everything I dislike about "live" performances. "We've only chst be-gahhhhn, d'live..."
late in their career, i expect when weintraub took control, it seemed that someone told karen to be as "cute " as she could be. all the smiles and grimaces while performing changed the tonal quality of her voice.; singing through a smile changes the sound as this clip clearly indicates.

Interesting clip, thanks for posting. I thought they performed the entire song.

Re watching the very end of the 76 special with them saying goodnight and the song playing seemed kinda weird and now I’m wondering if they were going to perform a short version of this song but ran out of time for tv. I mean why would Karen change outfits to this one just to say goodnight in a 30 sec ending?
I wonder if it was an outtake? Their specials were on ABC, which I think Dick Clark was on, so , just the way they’re talking, they could’ve been plugging other ABC shoes and it could’ve been in there but was trimmed for time.

I wonder if it was an outtake? Their specials were on ABC, which I think Dick Clark was on, so , just the way they’re talking, they could’ve been plugging other ABC shoes and it could’ve been in there but was trimmed for time.

Nope, this was EXACTLY how it aired that night. Karen and Richard introduced the upcoming highlighted clips of musical duos that appeared on ‘Bandstand’. The clips of all the duos started immediately after Karen stops talking. I taped the audio off the TV that night, so I remember it quite well.

Incidentally, I worked as a ‘show host’ / DJ for a very brief stint at the ‘American Bandstand’ chain restaurant in Overland Park, KS. They had old clips of ‘Bandstand’ that would play on all the TVs in the restaurant. They would show the ‘duos’ thing from a later special and part of this clip would play in the restaurant.

I ended up meeting Dick Clark when he came to check out the place and handed him two framed 8x10 glossy pics of Carpenters because they weren’t up on the walls yet. He thanked me and said their stuff was hard to come by and had someone hang them up.

Last edited:
I had no idea they did the Perry Como Christmas special in 1973! I was only aware of the 1974 one! Is there any footage of that? Does anyone know what they performed?
I have a video somewhere of Karen singing a short duet of ‘Sleep Well Little Children’ with Perry Como - or is that now on the DVD? I think it’s from 1974. It ends by focusing on a child pretending to sleep on a sofa. You might have seen it.

Hello!
I am new to this forum, but I am not a new carpenters fan. I found some silent 8mm footage of the carpenters on youtube:

It is from the 74 tour. Using the audio from the Osaka concert, I synced bit that I could identify so that it wasn't silent anymore!

There are a few more bits that I have to work on the timing and I also plan on color correcting some bits. If anyone has an English audio source of Sing from 1974 that would be a great help too! I hope you enjoy the footage!

Hello!
I am new to this forum, but I am not a new carpenters fan. I found some silent 8mm footage of the carpenters on youtube:

It is from the 74 tour. Using the audio from the Osaka concert, I synced bit that I could identify so that it wasn't silent anymore!

There are a few more bits that I have to work on the timing and I also plan on color correcting some bits. If anyone has an English audio source of Sing from 1974 that would be a great help too! I hope you enjoy the footage!

I put the wrong link in for my edit :shh:

Back
Top Bottom