Carpenters rare video clips

Wait a minute...is Karen actually wearing a midriff top...? I have never seen Karen performing in anything that shows her bare waist.

d58fd13bdd513c7cce6c66f968762355.jpg

last month i bought a bunch of news and magazine clippings someone kept from 1974 to now.
It’s almost all dutch stuff.
Enjoy..

Now could you interpret those articles to English? 😂 jk

I’ve never seen that full shot photo at 2:15 with the gold records above them. In addition the photo to the left of that with Karen drinking coffee or tea is new to me. Nice album.

Now could you interpret those articles to English? 😂 jk

I’ve never seen that full shot photo at 2:15 with the gold records above them. In addition the photo to the left of that with Karen drinking coffee or tea is new to me. Nice album.
Thanks Rick,

If you want I can scan those two pictures for you.
Then I will send it via the private chat👌🏻

Chris

For the people who wanted to see this two pictures from the scrapbook.
Does anyone know who this woman is? I think it’s an interviewer but I don’t know exactly.

Chris
162847719_466786764734242_9075187057846519917_o.jpg
Great photos, Chris! d:)b

From a 21st century point of view, the first thing that came to my mind when I saw the color photo was that Richard was checking his cellphone :D

The lady with K&R looked familiar. I checked my Olivia Newton-John scrapbook from the early '80s and found an article from Dutch magazine "Weekend", where she is on photos with Olivia and also manager Roger Davies at Olivia's birthday celebration at the Rotterdam Hilton Hotel (right after her performance in "Ahoy" - September 25 1981)...

Okay, so I just did a bit of research and her name is Honnie van den Bosch. She had worked for Australian television in the 1960s and '70s and apparently knows Olivia from those days. By (at least) the early '80s she was working as a reporter for the Dutch "Weekend" magazine. Here is an article on/interview with Frida from 1982 (just for the photos, since the article is in Dutch).

Hello Everyone, yesterday I visited a Carpenters friend of mine who lived nearby.
We talked for one hour about Carpenters music!
And the great thing, I bought some very nice things from her!

many old 70s and 80s VCC and VHS tapes containing dutch Carpenters appearances and many audio cassettes with awesome stuff!

This is all from the same woman I got the scrapbook and the scarf from.

I digitized and posted the most interesting cassette first.

Carpenters Live at the MGM Grand Hotel Las Vegas 1978!

The recording was made by the head of the Dutch fanclub who visited the concert and took many pictures.

It contains their hits and some interesting stuff like, Strike up the band (with karen singing), Thank you for the music and When I fall in love/I need to be in love.

There are many more things to come!

Chris

Hello Everyone, yesterday I visited a Carpenters friend of mine who lived nearby.

many old 70s and 80s VCC and VHS tapes containing dutch Carpenters appearances and many audio cassettes with awesome stuff!

The recording was made by the head of the Dutch fanclub who visited the concert and took many pictures.

It contains their hits and some interesting stuff like, Strike up the band (with karen singing), Thank you for the music and When I fall in love/I need to be in love.

Chris

Thanks so much for this...a joy.

Whilst it’s great to have new (bootleg) recordings like this to listen to, it also serves to highlight how disjointed these 1978 concerts were, in terms of the running order and the ebb and flow of the show. It starts with that bizarre, cornball opening number, then into “Thank You For The Music”, which is nowhere near strong enough to open the show and would have been much better as a cabaret-style closing number or encore. After a brief lift with “Hush”, the flow is immediately killed with the double whammy of “When I Fall In Love/I Need To Be In Love”. The bona fide hits are held up another half an hour by inane material such as the audience participation routine on “Sing” and the Spike Jones piece and when they finally do arrive, almost three quarters of the way into the show, the audience is short-changed with truncated versions of each one.

This show is the on-stage equivalent of Passage: musically very strong, but stylistically patchy and all over the place. I’m not sure whether Ken and Mitzy Welch were still in charge of their shows by late 1978, but I never felt these performances ever really did them or their stunning back catalogue justice.

Last edited:
Whilst it’s great to have new (bootleg) recordings like this to listen to, it also serves to highlight how disjointed these 1978 concerts were, in terms of the running order and the ebb and flow of the show. It starts with that bizarre, cornball opening number, then into “Thank You For The Music”, which is nowhere near strong enough to open the show and would have been much better as a cabaret-style closing number or encore. After a brief lift with “Hush”, the flow is immediately killed with the double whammy of “When I Fall In Love/I Need To Be In Love”. The bona fide hits are held up another half an hour by inane material such as the audience participation routine on “Sing” and the Spike Jones piece and when they finally do arrive, almost three quarters of the way into the show, the audience is short-changed with truncated versions of each one.

This show is the on-stage equivalent of Passage: musically very strong, but stylistically patchy and all over the place. I’m not sure whether Ken and Mitzy Welch were still in charge of their shows by late 1978, but I never felt these performances ever really did them or their stunning back catalogue justice.
I've said if before, but it really makes you wonder what the '83 concert would have looked like. I mean only Touch Me would really warrant an inclusion as a hit in the 5 years between this and '83. I guess a couple of new singles would be out by their summer tour dates. I dont really follow classic evergreen acts like the Carpenters so not sure where it would go.

I've said if before, but it really makes you wonder what the '83 concert would have looked like. I mean only Touch Me would really warrant an inclusion as a hit in the 5 years between this and '83. I guess a couple of new singles would be out by their summer tour dates. I dont really follow classic evergreen acts like the Carpenters so not sure where it would go.

Even if Karen had recovered from her affliction and lived, I don’t think a concert tour would ever have materialised in 1983, despite what Richard has said in the past. Yes, a tour was planned, but by this point they hadn’t had a hit single in two years and a true hit album since the mid 1970s. Made In America and its gaggle of singles sold abysmally in most territories they was released (if released at all). There was no collateral in the bank to warrant a 1983 tour - and Karen probably still owed A&M hundreds of thousands of dollars for the solo album débacle. I think the label would have repeated its view of 1980, in other words “get back to making another album”. Without an album, they would have had absolutely nothing new to promote on tour.

Last edited:

Chris

I laughed when karen randomly picked out that guy and it turned out to be an executive at Greyhound Buses, presumably a VIP guest of A&m or MGM.
And she sounded soooooo good in '78.

Back
Top Bottom