Carpenters rare video clips

Hi all,

YouTube blocked this, but I just got my Japanese DVD for "Yesterday Once More" in the mail today and was so stoked to see the "I Need to Be in Love" promo.

Here it is on Vimeo in full HD...

Trying to see if Dailymotion is a little less prone to copyright-claim blocks. Any suggestions?

C

I really like this video! I do think it's funny that the fans getting autographs were older. If I were there manager or the director of the video, I'd place someone in their teens in that spot. Image control. :wink:

Hi all,

YouTube blocked this, but I just got my Japanese DVD for "Yesterday Once More" in the mail today and was so stoked to see the "I Need to Be in Love" promo.

Trying to see if Dailymotion is a little less prone to copyright-claim blocks. Any suggestions?

C

Nice!!!
Never seen it in this clarity before! Thank you for sharing. :)))

Hi all,

C

Did you notice the woman who walks past at the start of the video and looks at Richard is Mary Rudolph, who he marries in 1984.

Btw, is that guy onboard whose girlfriend smiling Gary Sims?
At first I thought this was funny and unbelievable but upon re-watching, I can actually picture it if they put a fake mustache on him and a wig haha

Which also kinda doesn't seem too farfetched? Mustaches were big then, and so were toupées.

If anyone who's worked in the business knows... on those TV sets back in the 1970s, there are so many amazing colors on the walls; what color were the walls, and what color were the lights? Like, if a background is black, is it a white wall that's completely in the dark? Or is it a black wall? For example, "Top of the World" on the Very First TV Special had a nice blue background; "Here Are the Jokes, Folks" had a completely black background.

To me, it's amazing how those lights on those sets could change the color (and therefore change the mood/ambiance). I love all of the Carpenters videos in large part due to the way the cinematographers played with color.

If anyone who's worked in the business knows... on those TV sets back in the 1970s, there are so many amazing colors on the walls; what color were the walls, and what color were the lights? Like, if a background is black, is it a white wall that's completely in the dark? Or is it a black wall? For example, "Top of the World" on the Very First TV Special had a nice blue background; "Here Are the Jokes, Folks" had a completely black background.

To me, it's amazing how those lights on those sets could change the color (and therefore change the mood/ambiance). I love all of the Carpenters videos in large part due to the way the cinematographers played with color.
The wall is called a cyclorama, or a "cyc". It's a white wall, and the lights determine the color. Lights out turns it black.

The wall is called a cyclorama, or a "cyc". It's a white wall, and the lights determine the color. Lights out turns it black.
Thank you so much for this information! It's so amazing to know. It's amazing to see how controlled the lights are; they are strong on the lights, but in all the videos Karen and Richard (generally) don't reflect the light on the walls.

Thank you so much for this information! It's so amazing to know. It's amazing to see how controlled the lights are; they are strong on the lights, but in all the videos Karen and Richard (generally) don't reflect the light on the walls.
You also have to remember that in the 70’s, the lights had to be really strong because the camera’s were not as sensitive as modern camera’s.

Hello, here is the VH1 Behind The Music Documentary sadly due to copyright I had to shrunk out amazing big parts from the documentary!
I will provide everyone with a google drive link

Hi all! Pinging @Billy Rees and @ChrisCarpenterCollecter as well.

Curious to know if anyone would be willing to point me in the direction of an official DVD appearance of the Bob Hope Show, where Karen and Richard are promoting Singles 1969-1973 and perform We've Only Just Begun and Top of the World.

If anyone has a DVD rip, would you be willing to send me a copy of the VOBs?

Thanks!

Curious to know if anyone would be willing to point me in the direction of an official DVD appearance of the Bob Hope Show, where Karen and Richard are promoting Singles 1969-1973 and perform We've Only Just Begun and Top of the World.

Thanks!
(Same with the Andy Williams Show appearance with “For All We Know.” Would love to have VOBs for both appearances!)

Thanks!
“We’ve Only Just Begun” appeared on the ‘Interpretations’ DVD.

But their appearance might’ve appeared on the Time-life BobHope DVD’s.

“We’ve Only Just Begun” appeared on the ‘Interpretations’ DVD.

But their appearance might’ve appeared on the Time-life BobHope DVD’s.
That would be really great if their appearance is on a Time Life DVD. The color on "Gold/YOM" is a little off, imho... so would be interested in seeing an unrelated digital transfer of the same footage to compare.

I just noticed this morning that there's more to "Those Good Old Dreams" (from Gold/YOM) in the beginning that was edited out in favor of the footage of the record manufacturing plant.

Here's a screenshot of the transition from the record plant to "As a child, I was known..."

You can see a faint image of Karen from a wider angle and a faint image of Karen from a closer angle (two yellow outfits).

Has anyone seen the whole video? I really wish we could see it...

Also... sorry, pinging @Billy Rees and @ChrisCarpenterCollecter again... has anyone seen the (whole) episode of "Something Else" (filmed in Squaw Valley) where the Carpenters performed "Ticket to Ride"?

Here's Retro Video's page for "Something Else" but no screenshots of Richard or Karen, unfortunately.

Back
Top Bottom