CARPENTERS remixes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff

I have an opportunity to acquire the internationally released lp's SWEET SWEET SMILE, BY REQUEST and EVERGREEN. My question is : Do these albums contain ANY remixes that would make them a welcome edition to my CARPENTERS collection?

Jeff

Sweet Sweet Smile is a Dutch re-issue of the German Reflections album from 1995. It's chock full of the latest remixes up to that point, including the semi-rarely anthologized "Eve". If you've already got Reflections, then you don't need Sweet Sweet Smile. If you have neither, then it's a decent little package of not-often-anthologized songs.

By Request was compiled for Japanese fans from their requests. As such, it's a rather eclectic mix of hits and album tracks. Many are remixes, but some tracks are surprisingly original mixes. Contains the semi-rare remix of "Road Ode".

To my knowledge, Evergreen does not exist. During the tumultuous year of 2000, there were two rumored Carpenters albums: a new compilation and another album of new material. The title "EVERGREEN" seemed to be kicked around forever as first the compilation's title, then the new album's title. As things turned out, By Request became the compilation album, and after a long delay, 2001 saw the release of the "new" album, titled As Time Goes By. At one point, though, "EVERGREEN" was given a scheduled release date and perhaps even a catalog number. Through some kind of error, it was never deleted out of these databases, and as a result you can often find it listed at an online service, but usually it's listed as "not available" or "back-order."

If you actually do find something called "EVERGREEN", please tell us about it here.

Harry
NP: radio at work

Harry,

I received an e-mail from GEMM of your Carpenters want list and they said that there is a copy of EVERGREEN available there. So, whether or not it truly exists can probably be determined there.

Jeff

I wasn't aware I had a want list at GEMM.

And a quick check there lists EVERGREEN as a 1999 Japanese release. A quick check at HMV.co.jp lists only one Japanese release for 1999 -- SINGLES 1969-1981. I still maintain that someone's confused and that EVERGREEN doesn't exist.

Harry
...confused, online...

Last year I ordered EVERGREEN from one of the big online retailers (it might have been Barnes & Noble), just because I was curious about what I would get -- I was under the impression that EVERGREEN had been a working title for AS TIME GOES BY, and that the record company had not deleted the title when they changed the name...

Well, the retailer said they had EVERGREEN in stock, and they shipped it to me. What I got was BY REQUEST.

I contacted them to tell them that I had not received EVERGREEN, but a different title. They checked and said that the catalog number (POCD-1587, I think) was the same for both titles, so they were indeed the same CD. Apparently EVERGREEN was the working title for BY REQUEST.

So don't buy anything called EVERGREEN if you already have BY REQUEST! It's the same CD.

David

davidgra said:
They checked and said that the catalog number (POCD-1587, I think) was the same for both titles, so they were indeed the same CD. Apparently EVERGREEN was the working title for BY REQUEST.

So don't buy anything called EVERGREEN if you already have BY REQUEST! It's the same CD.

As I suspected. Thanks David for the definitive information on this little catalog number snafu.

Harry
...who thinks evergreens make nice Christmas trees, online...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom