⭐ Official Review Carpenters Royal Philharmonic Review and Comments Thread

How would you rate Carpenters with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra?

• ⁕⁕⁕⁕⁕ (Best)

Votes: 38 36.5%
  • ⁕⁕⁕⁕

Votes: 47 45.2%
  • ⁕⁕⁕ (Average)

Votes: 16 15.4%
  • ⁕⁕

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • ⁕ (Worst)

• Did not listen to this album yet

• Total voters
last year this forum lost its mind over the flawed boxed set. we are well on our way done the same looney highway. it has been well confirmed the current cds have pre-release mixes. please, let it go until universal or someone from Richard's camp makes an announcement...……..baby

last year this forum lost its mind over the flawed boxed set. we are well on our way done the same looney highway. it has been well confirmed the current cds have pre-release mixes. please, let it go until universal or someone from Richard's camp makes an announcement...……..baby
They’ll never announce anything if no one complains. Technically, these are not defects since they intentionally released these this way.

The vinyl box set was a complete disaster. There’s no comparing that with this, unless Universal makes the same drastic mistake again with the pressing quality of the vinyl release in February. I don’t think there’s any “announcement” to make in the meantime. Universal will probably just quietly re-release the CD at a later date with the correct remixes. That makes the first edition CD a worthwhile curiosity. In the meantime it’s no big deal, really.

I agree...not a big deal. I do hope there will be some designation on the reissue as I will gladly purchase it again as long as I can distinguish between new and old.

I was just listening to the 30 second promo on iTunes for Ticket and it sounded like it had the mono piano on the line “the boy who is driving me mad”.
Well, if that's the case, then so much for iTunes Canada I suppose, at least at this time. This whole thing is giving me a headache!

OK, I've found the album on TIDAL Canada... For some reason, they've got the album listed THREE times, each with a different item number. I've listened to the samples of YOM and TTR, and I think that this one has the correct updated tracks:

{{metadata.ogTitle}}

Can someone (or better yet, several someones) listen to the samples and confirm. I'm not going to purchase until I'm 100% certain what I'll be getting.

Well, if that's the case, then so much for iTunes Canada I suppose, at least at this time. This whole thing is giving me a headache!

OK, I've found the album on TIDAL Canada... For some reason, they've got the album listed THREE times, each with a different item number. I've listened to the samples of YOM and TTR, and I think that this one has the correct updated tracks:

{{metadata.ogTitle}}

Can someone (or better yet, several someones) listen to the samples and confirm. I'm not going to purchase until I'm 100% certain what I'll be getting.

Yes, I sampled the tracks at the link you posted and those are the correct updated versions of YOM and TTR.

Have you checked the Canadian iTunes store?
I have, but I really, really do not want to start yet another account. What I don't understand is, when I have a U.S. Amazon account, and can pay with U.S. funds, why can't I download from there? It makes no sense to me.

Well, if that's the case, then so much for iTunes Canada I suppose, at least at this time. This whole thing is giving me a headache!.

Shouldn’t all iTunes/ apple music download for the album be the same for all sites ? I’m confused as to why they have a different song on other stores.

{{metadata.ogTitle}}

Well, for heaven's sake, I signed up for this, paid for the download, and only 17 tracks downloaded. I did not get the overture. Frustration!

{{metadata.ogTitle}}

Hi Murray,

The Canadian iTunes Store version is the “finalized” version. It’s safe to get it from there. I’m in Canada too and I have the iTunes version and it’s the latest version with harp on YOM and stereo piano on TTR.

Don’t go by the 90 second previews. Apple probably didn’t bother to update the previews when the finalized version of the album was supplied to them by Universal.

OK, I am impressed with Tidal Canada. I submitted a tech request, and they got back to me immediately to allow me to download again. So I am no longer feeling frustrated. I'm a happy customer, and I'm looking forward to hearing this album the way it was intended to be heard. Woo-hoo!

Hi Murray,

The Canadian iTunes Store version is the “finalized” version. It’s safe to get it from there. I’m in Canada too and I have the iTunes version and it’s the latest version with harp on YOM and stereo piano on TTR.

Don’t go by the 90 second previews. Apple probably didn’t bother to update the previews when the finalized version of the album was supplied to them by Universal.
Thanks for the info. I ended up buying it from TIDAL, but your confirmation will help any other Canadian who may be considering getting it from iTunes. :)

Thanks for the info. I ended up buying it from TIDAL, but your confirmation will help any other Canadian who may be considering getting it from iTunes. :)

That’s great! What was the ordering process like? Pretty painless? I’ve never ordered anything from Tidal before. I might consider them next time since their files are lossless and a step up in quality from the files from the iTunes Store.

That’s great! What was the ordering process like? Pretty painless? I’ve never ordered anything from Tidal before. I might consider them next time since their files are lossless and a step up in quality from the files from the iTunes Store.
Except for the missing overture on the first download (which they corrected as soon as I contacted them), it was pretty painless for me. And wow, am I enjoying listening to this album now!

Ordering was painless for me. Earlier this year, I had a 6 month subscription to their streaming service (a promotion from Sennheiser that was included with headphones I bought), so my info was already on file with them. The sound quality was excellent (lossless CD quality), but I couldn't get the hi-res (MQA) streaming to work - that's not TIDAL's fault though, I didn't want to spend the money to get a MQA compatible DAC.

Wow! I'm not ready to fully articulate my thoughts on this yet. But as I make my way through the digital downloads, I'm amazed at how warm and clear Karen's voice sounds. As others have noted, it's like hearing a brand-new recording! I just listened to "Touch Me When We're Dancing" and am so happy to hear her voice front and center, no longer buried under the orchestration. Same with "I Just Fall in Love Again"!

And, speaking of orchestrations, Richard has done a masterful job of arranging these orchestral segments. They really are gorgeous! Even the chorus in the overture doesn't bother me as much as it did on first listen. Now, I wonder how I'll feel about that piccolo trumpet in "Goodbye to Love" ... it didn't bother me quite so much when I listened to it on YouTube earlier today. I'm really enjoying this album!

Can someone here please DM me a link to where I can listen to Please Mr. Postman? I purchased the Target Bonus Track CD, but it has to remain "unopened until Christmas".

OK, old dogs can learn new tricks. Or, at least, we can change our minds. I just listened to "Goodbye to Love" ... and I actually find myself liking the piccolo trumpet. It's set back in the arrangement so that it's not overbearing, but is more of an ornament than an outright solo. It works for me!

OK, old dogs can learn new tricks. Or, at least, we can change our minds. I just listened to "Goodbye to Love" ... and I actually find myself liking the piccolo trumpet. It's set back in the arrangement so that it's not overbearing, but is more of an ornament than an outright solo. It works for me!
I know what you mean. First time I heard it, I was quite startled by it. Now that I’ve heard it a few times and then realizing the Abbey Road connection, I’m glad it’s there.

I took the advice offered and redownloaded the album from iTunes and I now have the proper mixes for YOM and TTR - nice! I also uploaded Please Mister Postman from the CD and it linked with the album as track 19.

I've listened to it twice now and both times I hate it...wish there was a way I could remove it. For me, it takes a sad song and sticks in a happy, bright, joyful instrument where it doesn't belong. I want my sad songs to remain sad. It too bad because I love everything else.

New album Representation by the numbers:

Offering / Ticket To Ride: 1.5 (“Someday”)
Close To You: 3
Tan Album: 3
A Song For You: 3
Now & Then: 2
Horizon: 1 (Target bonus track)
A Kind Of Hush: 1
Passage: 1
Christmas Portrait: 1
Made In America: 2

Back
Top Bottom