⭐ Official Review Carpenters Royal Philharmonic Review and Comments Thread

How would you rate Carpenters with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra?

• ⁕⁕⁕⁕⁕ (Best)

Votes: 38 36.5%
  • ⁕⁕⁕⁕

Votes: 47 45.2%
  • ⁕⁕⁕ (Average)

Votes: 16 15.4%
  • ⁕⁕

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • ⁕ (Worst)

• Did not listen to this album yet

• Total voters
Rick - I found this...

Price maintenance period

• 再yy.mm.ddまで = Full retail price must be maintained until this date.
The encircled 再 (sai) character is used on music and print publications to represent saihan seido (a.k.a. saihanbai kakaku iji seido), Japan's resale price maintenance system. It normally accompanies a date and the phrase "まで", meaning "until", in order to indicate the first date the item can be returned for credit or sold at a discounted price. It can also appear next to the price to be maintained.

Example: 再95.7.20まで means that price must not be discounted before July 20, 1995.

Unlike a copyright date, the saihan seido date is normally in the future, a certain number of months or years beyond the release date.

I'm loving the new album. For me, it strikes a good balance between honoring the originals while bringing new textures into the mix ... all while keeping Karen's voice front and center (and sometimes, like in the case of "I Just Fall In Love Again," moving her voice to the front, instead of burying it under the orchestra).

Also, there are things I'm hearing now that I can't recall hearing before, and I don't think they are new additions. So stripping away some of the old instrumentation brought other instrumentation forward. Even though I recognize all the songs, I'm feeling some of the same emotions I felt all those years ago when I first listened to them. And, in some cases, I'm newly enjoying songs I didn't much like back when they were released ("I Believe You" and "Touch Me When We're Dancing"). So the new context is bringing something out that resonates with me, and it's not just nostalgia. It's pure joy!

Love it or not, isn't it wonderful to be able to enjoy and debate a new Carpenters album?

I always try to save my hype stickers. Usually, I'll stick them either on the disc tray, or sometimes on a blank area of the booklet. If it doesn't peel nicely, I'll try to cut it off with the cellophane and just stick it loose in the booklet.

I'm not 100% sure about the Japanese dates, but most Japanese CDs have these dates. I always thought that it provided a range of dates that the album would be on sale, and that's why there are so many re-issues in Japan, and they each seem to get a unique catalog number and range of dates.

Ok this is probably a stupid question. Did you get the UK CD as well as the US and Japan CD? I have the US CD and the Japan CD is on it's way to me but I'm thinking of getting the UK CD as well. Carpenter fans are crazy I know!!

I've not been enticed by the UK edition. Other than a hype sticker and a different catalog number, it's not any different than what we have over here in the USA. In fact, I'm not all that thrilled with getting the Japan edition, but it was too late to cancel once we found out about the Target disc. But at least the Japan edition will be an SHM-CD, for whatever that's worth.

Whenever we find out about possible updated CDs with all tracks as they're supposed to be, I'll probably pick up another copy.

Did anyone notice all the different hype stickers on the CD's thus far? I haven't got my Japan CD yet but it looks like the hype sticker says something about 2019*1*31, why is it referring to 2019?

Are there others you have seen? What does the Amazon CD hype sticker look like?

Target hype sticker
s-l1600.jpg

UK hype sticker
s-l1600.jpg

Japan hype sticker
s-l1600.jpg

For the normal cd from Amazon, is the hype sticker same as the one in the UK cd?

I've not been enticed by the UK edition. Other than a hype sticker and a different catalog number, it's not any different than what we have over here in the USA. In fact, I'm not all that thrilled with getting the Japan edition, but it was too late to cancel once we found out about the Target disc. But at least the Japan edition will be an SHM-CD, for whatever that's worth.

Whenever we find out about possible updated CDs with all tracks as they're supposed to be, I'll probably pick up another copy.

Yes if they do update the CD to what's on the download I will buy it of course. I still don't know how we will be able to differentiate between the old CD and the newer pressing with the final mix.

There of course is no guarantee that any updated CDs will be pressed, at least not in the near future. We certainly HOPE there will be an updated version, but in these uncertain times, we just cannot be sure. If there is a second pressing due to demand, then the new CDs will surely have the updated versions of the songs on them. We cannot possibly know if they will have any differentiation markings on them. But rest assured, someone, somewhere, will be the first to stumble on one and report it here, and then we'll all know.

Meantime, most of us can make our own CDs from the downloaded files and essentially have what we're looking for. The LPs are also a pretty good guarantee to have all of the updated tracks.

Everyone's focused on the two songs, "Yesterday One More" and "Ticket To Ride", but I've tried to point out that the updates affect the Overture too, and the intro to "We've Only Just Begun."

The opening notes of the prelude to "I Just Fall in Love Again" are the opening notes to the previous song, "I Believe You". (Ullalume noted this previously.) Richard then goes on to create a variation of the melody of "I Believe You". So that's why it's familiar :).

I know what you mean, but it’s not those few notes of I Believe You that I was thinking of, it’s what comes after that. It just sounds so familiar, I know it’s a new composition but I feel like I’ve heard it before...that melody on the woodwind, the lilt to the whole piece. It’s like seeing an old friend for the first time in a long time. I can’t really describe it.

Everyone's focused on the two songs, "Yesterday One More" and "Ticket To Ride", but I've tried to point out that the updates affect the Overture too, and the intro to "We've Only Just Begun."

Yes I hear the horns being more prominent in the newer version ans a slightly different level on the voices.

I still think that Richard thought the album was done when masters were sent to be made into CDs and the changes made afterward were influencedenced by the lukewarm reception to the advanced tracks. I think Richard is too organized to have not met that deadline having thought he was done.

So, I had to compare the vinyl/Single/45 of
I Just Fall In Love Again
to that version which is on the RPO.
Now, I finally hear it....this vocal is improved.
So, one of my all-time favorite Carpenters' songs--in 2018-- simply got better !
This song has been on my radar ever since I heard it in 1977.
I have long touted this as a great Carpenters' 'offering,'
Ah....so at long last, we hear the greatness I have heard in this recording all along ?
I am glad this song was included on this HIT album.

I find myself not feeling nearly as annoyed by the chorus as I usually do. Their use is streamlined, and they are singing in a straight tone, with little to no vibrato, which minimizes the "schmaltzy" effect I felt I was hearing with the OK Chorale. Is it just my imagination, or do the singers sound Japanese? (I don't have my CD yet with the booklet showing the credits.) Maybe it's just the enunciation they are using that makes me think that.

I know what you mean, but it’s not those few notes of I Believe You that I was thinking of, it’s what comes after that. It just sounds so familiar, I know it’s a new composition but I feel like I’ve heard it before...that melody on the woodwind, the lilt to the whole piece. It’s like seeing an old friend for the first time in a long time. I can’t really describe it.
This is the interlude/intro that Richard started but never finished in time to be orchestrated for the RPO. Perhaps he was also emotionally affected by the melody, too, so that he couldn't nail it down in time. I'm glad he was able to add it after the fact using just woodwinds and piano. My only wish is that he would have merged the last chord of this intro with the downbeat of IJFILA so it flowed smoothly into the song instead of a full stop.

This is the interlude/intro that Richard started but never finished in time to be orchestrated for the RPO. Perhaps he was also emotionally affected by the melody, too, so that he couldn't nail it down in time. I'm glad he was able to add it after the fact using just woodwinds and piano. My only wish is that he would have merged the last chord of this intro with the downbeat of IJFILA so it flowed smoothly into the song instead of a full stop.

Without prying too much and protecting Richard's privacy, would you say that his emotions guided his writing for the interludes or is he able to compartmentalize the music and deal with the emotions later? I'm just curious from an expressive point of view as an artist, what his process is. I don't want to be disrespectful though and put you on the spot so don't feel obligated to respond :)

It looks like the official UK Album Chart has the RPO as #8. It is also the highest debuting new entry on the chart. I am sure the promotional activities will intensify as we near the 25th. There is good reason to think the album could go the #1 by then. Now if we could just get rid of the "Showman.. " soundtrack...:)

Oh dear, I have no idea how to describe this. It sort of weaves in and out of quieter parts of "Touch Me When We're Dancing." It has a slightly metallic sound. Can anyone else do a better job of explaining this? I know it when I hear it (I think), but that's as good as it gets.
Its the stringed instrument figure you hear just before Karen sings the first line of the song. It repeats again in a different figure right before the second verse.

Without prying too much and protecting Richard's privacy, would you say that his emotions guided his writing for the interludes or is he able to compartmentalize the music and deal with the emotions later? I'm just curious from an expressive point of view as an artist, what his process is. I don't want to be disrespectful though and put you on the spot so don't feel obligated to respond :)
I've seen no indication that his writing is guided by anything but a musical goal. My comment was just a surmising without any foundation. :shock:

This is the interlude/intro that Richard started but never finished in time to be orchestrated for the RPO. Perhaps he was also emotionally affected by the melody, too, so that he couldn't nail it down in time. I'm glad he was able to add it after the fact using just woodwinds and piano.

Very interesting to hear the back story to this little snippet, thank you for sharing that.

My only wish is that he would have merged the last chord of this intro with the downbeat of IJFILA so it flowed smoothly into the song instead of a full stop.

I too think the song would have been better served if it had been merged with the interlude. As it stands, with the gap it feels like a separate track instead of being a part of the song. That would have been nicer.

I received my Japan CD today in the mail. I have not played it yet but opened and here are some quick notes about what's inside.

The Japan coloring on face of CD is a lighter ochre color than the Target CD.
The booklet inside is exactly the same except for this important feature. The material used to make the booklet seems to me much more higher quality material than the Target booklet. The Japan booklet is high glossy texture paper which makes the photos inside really pop and I like this feel of material and the way it looks, much more regal.
Inside is a leaflet insert the size of the booklet but separate and it's all in Japanese but it contains Richard's signature. That is not present in the Target CD.
I plan to listen to this tonight.

Edit:
Under the Japan CD I can read this info:

Outside inner circle: UICY 15801 1W
IFPI L244
Inner circle: IFPI 4011
Universal logos around as well.

I find myself not feeling nearly as annoyed by the chorus as I usually do. Their use is streamlined, and they are singing in a straight tone, with little to no vibrato, which minimizes the "schmaltzy" effect I felt I was hearing with the OK Chorale. Is it just my imagination, or do the singers sound Japanese? (I don't have my CD yet with the booklet showing the credits.) Maybe it's just the enunciation they are using that makes me think that.

I think it is the pronunciation. I thought the same thing.

Being a high school Choral director for 30 years, I have actually always been bothered by the choirs on their albums. Very immature vocals. Almost sound like they should be on a Disney recording.
But I am so pleased to have this album.
Jonathan

Back
Top Bottom