⭐ Official Review Carpenters Royal Philharmonic Review and Comments Thread

How would you rate Carpenters with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra?

• ⁕⁕⁕⁕⁕ (Best)

Votes: 38 36.5%
  • ⁕⁕⁕⁕

Votes: 47 45.2%
  • ⁕⁕⁕ (Average)

Votes: 16 15.4%
  • ⁕⁕

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • ⁕ (Worst)

• Did not listen to this album yet

• Total voters
Special Interview With Richard Carpenter Of Legendary Duo The Carpenters, About His Songwriting And The New Album, Carpenters With The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra
Jan 22,2019

Int/DK
: "I noticed on your Philharmonic album, some of your big hits were not included on it."
Carpenter: "I didn’t want to pull every hit and put it on this album, just in case there may be a second one someday. You never know. The other reason is that there are some album tracks that I think are stronger than some of the singles. So yeah, “Baby It’s You” and “This Masquerade” immediately came to mind. And then (A&R exec) Matt D’Amico, who is my liaison at Universal, asked for a Christmas song. And so we included our song “Merry Christmas, Darling,” which is a favorite."
Int/DK: "Richard, it’s been about 35-40 years since the Carpenters had their great run of hits on the charts, before Karen passed away in 1983. A lot of time has passed. So as you look back on those days, what are some of the things that come to mind ? "

Carpenter: Well, just how blessed we were. I’m not a religious person, but I don’t know what other term to use.
To be able to do for a living what you enjoy doing, what you were born to do.
I think back…when we signed with A&M Records, Karen was 19 and I was 22.
It was remarkable to be at a major label and to record at one of the great recording studios on the planet,
and do what you wanted to do. And when you heard something in an arrangement, you could hire the best musicians to play what you heard. And to work with Herb Alpert (co-founder of A&M Records)—he’s not only a hell of a talented musician, he’s a talented A&R man. He heard the talent, and he let us do what we wanted to do, and he brought us the song, “Close To You.” So that’s what I think of, and just how exciting it all was."

interview, here:
www.songwriteruniverse.com/richard-carpenter-interview-2019.htm

I saw the WSJ article yesterday afternoon, but I'm not bright enough to have figured out how to add the link to access the article. :laugh:
"Karen passed away in 1983. I think of her now more than ever...."
No truer words were ever spoken.

Also, quoting from the WSJ interview:
Richard's Favorite Carpenters' song: ‘Superstar’
Karen’s favorite: ‘I Need to Be in Love’
Karen’s favorite singer: Petula Clark

What are those big hits left out? Only yesterday?, sing, wont last a day without you? Callimg occuppants?, solitaire? Kind of hush? Its going to take sometime? Goofus? I would think given their impact only 3 important singles were left out. Sing, wont last a day without you and Only yesterday... A lot of other tracks are worthy of a second volume but lack the impact of those 3 singles

What are those big hits left out? Only yesterday?, sing, wont last a day without you? Callimg occuppants?, solitaire? Kind of hush? Its going to take sometime? Goofus? I would think given their impact only 3 important singles were left out. Sing, wont last a day without you and Only yesterday... A lot of other tracks are worthy of a second volume but lack the impact of those 3 singles

I understand the points you are making, Marione, and I agree that "Sing," "I Won't Last a Day Without You," and "Only Yesterday" should strongly be considered for a possible second RPO project. Regarding the "impact" (a subjective term) of other songs you mentioned, here are some considerations that might translate into "impact":
  • A big hit can include those outside the top 10 (e.g., "There's a Kind of Hush," "It's Going to Take Some Time," "Solitaire"...).
  • Most consider "Solitaire" one of Karen's best (if not the best) vocal performances.
  • Many consider "Calling Occupants..." a masterpiece construction; indeed, it garnered a Grammy nomination in 1977 for Best Instrumental Arrangement Accompanying Vocals, the Carpenters' last Grammy nomination.
  • Richard himself makes the point that he included "Baby It's You" and "This Masquerade" because "there are some album tracks that I think are stronger than some of the singles." Surely, Richard (and the fans) can come up with other terrific album tracks.
As a fan, maybe you have some album tracks you would love to get the RPO treatment, and perhaps you might be appreciative of a second RPO volume. No doubt, it was a difficult task for Richard to narrow down the Carpenters' great catalogue to just 18 or 19 songs (hits, album tracks, Christmas). I personally would love to enjoy a second volume!

I, too, hope there is a second volume to this. I would love to hear "Let Me Be the One" get the RPO treatment as an "album cut" along with "Bless the Beasts and the Children." Then, include the remaining "hit" singles: "It's Going to Take Some Time," "Sing," "I Won't Last A Day Without You," "Solitaire," "There's A Kind of Hush," "All You Get From Love Is a Love Song," "Calling Occupants," "Sweet Sweet Smile," and maybe "Santa Clause is Coming to Town" as the holiday offering. Add to it "You're the One" and "If I Had You" from Lovelines and "Your Baby Doesn't Love You Anymore" from VOTH. I'd stay away from "Make Believe It's Your First Time" as Richard way over produced that one (one of his rare "misses" in my opinion)." Perhaps "Honolulu City Lights" could be the bonus track? "Those Good Old Dreams" and Desperado" could round out the package. Am I missing anything?

Last edited:
I'm not bright enough to have figured out how to add the link to access the article.

A link to access the article would be useless because the article is behind a 'pay wall.' I hate links that lead to paywalled articles but it's becoming the norm more and more.

I know Richard said he didn’t include all the hits on the first album in case there was a second one. But, honestly, any second compilation would be light on smash hit single material. The only singles he omitted are:

I Won’t Last A Day Without You
Only Yesterday
There’s A Kind Of Hush
All You Get From Love Is A Love Song
Calling Occupants Of Interplanetary Craft

Solitaire
Sing
Goofus
Sweet Sweet Smile
It’s Going To Take Some Time

From this list, only the first seven qualify as true hits in my book (on a collection of say, 20 tracks?). On the other hand, we’d get plenty of album tracks included, so I’m not complaining :)

Last edited:
I think a second album would include only yesterday, sing,wont last a day and maybe solitaire. The rest would be album tracks. Plenty to choose for. But then the album marketability is not really great... I think album tracks that were hit by others would be added like desperado, tryin to get the feeling again, help, maybe fans favorites like youre the one, if i had you, let me be the one, bless the beasts, one more time but then again.. i loved the album but i guess the only market were the album was a hit was uk.. I think there were big exoectations in the us market the target deal was great and that is done usually with major releases only. So universal must not be really happy with this album. A second one is doubtful at this point

i loved the album but i guess the only market were the album was a hit was uk.. I think there were big exoectations in the us market the target deal was great and that is done usually with major releases only. So universal must not be really happy with this album. A second one is doubtful at this point

I’m also disappointed with the sales and chart performances. It peaked in the UK briefly and then pretty much dropped week after week. That’s not what I was expecting. Overseas was even worse.

Plenty of the other RPO collaborations feature quite a few album-only tracks and have done phenomenally well. There’s no reason a second Carpenters compilation couldn’t do the same, but I think most of their riches were spent on the first one and it hasn’t performed all that well - at least compared to other RPO compilations.

Last edited:
I guess the chart performance in the US market wasnt a big surprise .. No promotion. Although the target deal was great.. The really bad performance was in japan where they promoted it well enough it seems and then the market said no thanks

Well it has been mentioned in the past that Richard did do a chart for “All You Get From Love Is A Love Song” for the RPO, plus I think “Santa Claus I Coming To Town” was also mentioned as being charted, but both were left for a second album.

Others I would like to hear would be:

“I Heard The Bells On Christmas Day”
“Prime Time Love”
“Your Baby Doesn’t Love You Anymore”
“Slow Dance”
“My Body Keeps Changing My Mind”
“Who Do You Love?”
“Now & Then Oldies Medley” (RPO has already done “Fun, Fun, Fun” with the Beach Boys)
“Love Is Surrender”
“I Kept On Loving You”
“Crystal Lullaby”

Driving to a music educators conference today. Listened to Karen’s solo album and The Ultimate Collection -2 cd version. I found myself missing things that were added in the RPO cd. I know it’s crazy, but I have been listening to that album so much since I got it. Both the physical cd and the cd I made from the downloaded tracks.
Jonathan

I’m also disappointed with the sales and chart performances. It peaked in the UK briefly and then pretty much dropped week after week. That’s not what I was expecting. Overseas was even worse.

Plenty of the other RPO collaborations feature quite a few album-only tracks and have done phenomenally well. There’s no reason a second Carpenters compilation couldn’t do the same, but I think most of their riches were spent on the first one and it hasn’t performed all that well - at least compared to other RPO compilations.

I can understand what you mean about the chart performance. Here in the Uk it seems every other year we have a complication album released again, with most of the same songs appearing. I know of no other artist who have had so many compilations released, and always end up in the charts. It is a great testament that the powers that be think of another realise of the same songs will sell again and again. I believe a lot of people thought this was just the rpo playing the hits anyway. A great album and must admit have played it every day since I bought it. Don’t think anything could be improved so don’t think another album is needed though, as this was superb and don’t want this spoilt by another album

@Chris May, are you aware of how it has sold and of Richard's feelings about its sales performance?

I read recently that it’s gone silver in the UK which I think is 60,000 copies. I wonder how many units it has to sell worldwide for Universal to recoup its costs and make a healthy profit?

I was surprised, and then not surprised, by the overall chart performance.
Initially, the RPO project debuted very well on the charts. There was quite a bit of buzz online
(various news outlets),then, that news died down rather quickly.
Also, while there was personal promotion overseas, I failed to see much USA promotion.
Yet, given the music industry these days, streaming and all that, and given the type of music
which seems to be the big draw these days, I am surprised the RPO did as well as it did do--
no matter how brief the period on the charts ! A mixed bag of news, though.
My favorite cut is Please Mr. Postman (the bonus track) because its arrangement
which strays farthest into unexplored territory. I like the RPO album as an entire-whole,
but more results like Postman's arrangement,
would have placed it into the 'love' category for me.

Except Facebook and maybe smaill number on Instagram, no PR at all in the states. Richard needed to be a judge on Idol (or similar) and have a larger internet presence to get the word out. I wish he’d do like the Bernstein young people’s concerts online to teach the younger how to do it and somehow capitalize on youtube where he gets 25 million hits on a carpenters video. (rambling, sorry. on my phone on the way to work)

Back
Top Bottom