⭐ Official Review Carpenters Royal Philharmonic Review and Comments Thread

How would you rate Carpenters with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra?

• ⁕⁕⁕⁕⁕ (Best)

Votes: 38 36.5%
  • ⁕⁕⁕⁕

Votes: 47 45.2%
  • ⁕⁕⁕ (Average)

Votes: 16 15.4%
  • ⁕⁕

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • ⁕ (Worst)

• Did not listen to this album yet

• Total voters
He's not talking about a key change, he's talking about a different vocal take being punched in.

Yes Mike, perhaps key change is incorrect, but what i hear is Karen's voice lifting on 'forgotten', almost as if theres a very slight change in speed vari speed maybe? As you can detect in IWLADWY, DCFMA and YOU where they are pitched very slightly differently. It's almost as if her vocal goes from minor key to major.
I'm probably talking a load of rubbish , but this is partly it from the resource section -

985 mix: the oboe is placed slightly right of center in the mix – (strings are all the same) – and at the bridge where Karen sings “from this DAY love is forgotten” – you hear the vocal double come back in on the word “day”, singing through to the end of the phrase. Also backing vocals are a little hotter in the mix.

Regards Goodbye To Love,
at 1m16s, "from this day love is forgotten..."
there is a noticeable change in Karen's lead,
no matter what this change is called.
I caught it immediately.
Too bad. I assume there is a reason that it was done.
I'd love to ask Richard Carpenter about it.

I also find the punch in line distinctly different in tone and distracting - shame since I love the new arrangement with the piccolo trumpet. Maybe someone could listen to the original carefully and see if there is back ground noise in this part of the lead that Richard couldn’t clean up?

Regards Goodbye To Love,
I caught it immediately.
nalso

With headphones I find the "phasy" effect too distracting, but through my sound system I don't notice it at all. Could it be a fault with the downloaded file I listen to on my headphones that isn't present on the cd which I play on my soundsystem.
I hear this same effect on CD and digital download.

With headphones I find the "phasy" effect too distracting, but through my sound system I don't notice it at all. Could it be a fault with the downloaded file I listen to on my headphones that isn't present on the cd which I play on my soundsystem.
Try listening to the CD with headphones. I have a digital file which plays fine through speakers but that strange sound effect is loud and clear with headphones. It stands out more as only certain parts of the recording have that sound.

Regards Goodbye To Love,
I caught it immediately.
Could there be an alternative vocal take for the whole song, those alternative few bars must have come from somewhere, surely there isn’t a software that could try to replicate that vocal, and insert a corrected version.

Could there be an alternative vocal take for the whole song, those alternative few bars must have come from somewhere, surely there isn’t a software that could try to replicate that vocal, and insert a corrected version.

on one of the compilations, the recording engineer says, " ni-yun (nine) " so there are alternate vocals.

Regards Goodbye To Love,
I caught it immediately.
Just as I read this, that particular section of the song was playing, which was weird. I agree. “From this day, love is forgotten” is definitely from a different take. To me, it seems strange to put this snippet in there, because Karen sounds not quite on the mark in those few words, whereas the original vocal sounded perfect. I’ve only listened to this new ‘Goodbye to Love’ a couple of times since buying the album because, for me, the piccolo trumpet (?) sounds so out of place and spoils the song.

Just as I read this, that particular section of the song was playing, which was weird. I agree. “From this day, love is forgotten” is definitely from a different take. To me, it seems strange to put this snippet in there, because Karen sounds not quite on the mark in those few words, whereas the original vocal sounded perfect. I’ve only listened to this new ‘Goodbye to Love’ a couple of times since buying the album because, for me, the piccolo trumpet (?) sounds so out of place and spoils the song.
Those few bars of overdubs are some of the best they ever did on goodbye to love. To go from quiet to that wall of sound is very special. John Eidsvoog mentioned the trumpet was originally only supposed to come in on the second repeat of vocals. This would have worked much better in my opinion. You'd be able to enjoy the voices then the trumpet then the guitar. Still would have been better just vocals.

Just an aside. I remember Mr Eidsvoog mentioned there was to be some nice vocal work leading into YOM. Not thinking there'd be any choir I got in into my head that he would play with those stacked voices on YOM(reprise). . .so fine. . .so fine etc. . .and that could lead into the proper start of the song.

I think it was in the same key and would've worked nicely.

That aside, listened to the album about 10 times and like it more than ever.

Me too, i absolutely love this album.
It's not got artificial remix drums or tons of reverb, what's been done sounds SO good and blends in so well.
I'd love to hear I wont last a day without you done too

It seems the more I listen to this the more I love it and believe it has just the right about of orchestra fused in with their music. It doesn’t sound forced and seems so natural. I’m really impressed with how this album turned out and I still believe it’s best served listening in the exact order it was presented.

It is a bit strange to be on this end of the release of the RPO album. The discussion has gone from happy anticipation and now we are focusing on the joy of the results and focusing on minute details like the change in vocal take on GTL, etc. I for one am enjoying the discourse of the last six months and hope it continues in some form.

Echoing the comments of others, after each listen, I find something new to enjoy! I am admittedly shocked that it dropped off the Billboard charts so quickly. As of this moment, it is still at #31 (best sellers in CDs and vinyl) at Amazon.com, so that's reassuring! No matter its performance on any chart, I am thrilled that we have this wonderful and inspired production!

That is great news. That said...I guess I am just biased toward the Carpenters, but I don't understand why the Roy Orbison RPO is in the top ten of the UK Album Chart at #6 while the Carpenters RPO is down at #23. Was the promotion lacking?

That is great news. That said...I guess I am just biased toward the Carpenters, but I don't understand why the Roy Orbison RPO is in the top ten of the UK Album Chart at #6 while the Carpenters RPO is down at #23. Was the promotion lacking?
Was it timing? Was Roy’s issues around the holidays?

Was it timing? Was Roy’s issues around the holidays?

I will just go ahead and say it....Is there actually more "love" out there for Roy Orbison these days than there is for the Carpenters? Really??

Back
Top Bottom