⭐ Official Review Carpenters Royal Philharmonic Review and Comments Thread

How would you rate Carpenters with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra?

• ⁕⁕⁕⁕⁕ (Best)

Votes: 38 36.5%
  • ⁕⁕⁕⁕

Votes: 47 45.2%
  • ⁕⁕⁕ (Average)

Votes: 16 15.4%
  • ⁕⁕

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • ⁕ (Worst)

• Did not listen to this album yet

• Total voters
^^While I like the album--as a whole--
I had hoped for more of the Please Mr. Postman- type creativity.
But, as Richard says, we still have 'the originals' to listen to...
On the other hand, I like the album, and for newbies it is a great way to get into the duo.
I am only sad to the extent that I craved more orchestration.
But, I understand that Richard did not want to over-do it (the orchestration). Which is fine.

He was really in a Catch-22 situation with this. No way was he going to please everybody.

I personally think the best way to get "newbies" into the duo is by handing them a copy of The Singles 1969-1973 or A Song For You. For some listeners, the overture and between-song flourishes on the new album might be a little too much orchestra. (I'm just trying to hear it in my head like a newbie would.) The less-ornate originals might still be the best way to hook a newcomer. But, that's just my 2¢.

I really am enjoying reading all the comments, but a little sad that not everyone is crazy about this release as I am. Definitely, the best way to listen is from start to finish, with headphones. It's hard for me to pick a favorite, because just as I think I've identified it, another one takes it's place. This release, as of now anyway, is my favorite of all their albums, and hope there is a second one on the horizon.

I think most people are favorable of this release, as am I. The problem with remixes is that everyone has an original song to compare it to. When a new song is released, it is new and people love the finished product as a whole. Imperfections or mistakes are part of the song and mostly ignored or unnoticed because that is all part of the song that they first fell in love with. When changes are made, the magnifying glasses come out and people see the "seam" where the song was "opened" and something was changed and then put back together. I guarantee, if the RPO was the original material and people then listened to the originals, they would hate them wondering why Richard took the trumpet out of Goodbye to Love.

You're probably right! Welcome to the Boards, by the way. And welcome all the new members who joined recently.

He was really in a Catch-22 situation with this. No way was he going to please everybody.

I personally think the best way to get "newbies" into the duo is by handing them a copy of The Singles 1969-1973 or A Song For You. For some listeners, the overture and between-song flourishes on the new album might be a little too much orchestra. (I'm just trying to hear it in my head like a newbie would.) The less-ornate originals might still be the best way to hook a newcomer. But, that's just my 2¢.

Good point Mike. If I can expand a little bit on your comment, I would also include the Interpretations album in your list. A good mix of their hits and some of the more "overlooked" material. You would think that Millennials and the Carpenters would go hand in hand. Millennials are generally sensitive, socially aware, electronically sophisticated, and very attuned to the "injustices" of the world. Carpenters music, that was maligned in the hard rock era of the 70s as to syrupy and sentimental should be a natural fit for this target group.

The final version of the album with the final mixes of YOM and TTR, WOJB for me is great. My favorites are INTBIL, with the beautiful interlude that segues seamlessly into the song. That gave me chills - one of the best moment for me. TTR benefitted by having the new stereo piano, which makes the song sound like it was just freshly recorded even though parts of the recording go back 50 years. I do like the additional orchestration on WOJB though the final balance put Karen's vocals a bit further back in the mix than I would have liked. I also like "Superstar" and "Rainy Days..." while CTY was a bit of a disappointment. It lacks a bit of finesse that the original and previous remix versions have. I get the feeling Richard had trouble deciding how he would or could enhance this song. I would have loved it if it had the extended ending that it has on the original CTY album. There were missed opportunities with TOTW and PMP. I think Richard could have done more with new arrangements on these. Overall, the album was a success for me, but only the version with the final mixes.

As far as the legacy of Carpenters is concerned, this album has a positive influence and is definitely a piece of work that fans appreciate. Not sure where Richard got the inspiration from to rearrange so many hits......his talent is showcased brilliantly on this album.

I'm surprised no one has picked up on what I can almost guarantee was the feel that Richard was going for with the trumpet solo added to "Goodbye For Love." Think of the Beatles from the Sgt. Pepper/Magical Mystery Tour era, and specifically, "Penny Lane." The trumpet in "Goodbye To Love" is almost identical to the one in "Penny Lane," and I would guess it's Richard's homage to the Fab Four. I was surprised initially, but then when I suddenly realized what it reminded me of, I love it now! I only wish — if it exists — we could hear an extended fade-out of Tony's phenomenal guitar solo if it continued on for any significant time.

I'm surprised no one has picked up on what I can almost guarantee was the feel that Richard was going for with the trumpet solo added to "Goodbye For Love." Think of the Beatles from the Sgt. Pepper/Magical Mystery Tour era, and specifically, "Penny Lane." The trumpet in "Goodbye To Love" is almost identical to the one in "Penny Lane," and I would guess it's Richard's homage to the Fab Four. I was surprised initially, but then when I suddenly realized what it reminded me of, I love it now! I only wish — if it exists — we could hear an extended fade-out of Tony's phenomenal guitar solo if it continued on for any significant time.

We did early in the thread. :)

We did early in the thread. :)

Whoopsie! I don't know how I missed that discussion on page 3. I saw a lot of love it/hate it posts but missed that page perhaps. Sorry for the redundancy! Unfortunately, I don't see any way to remove or edit posts on this site. I also saw a typo I made in a different post and being a published journalist who proofs before I post, that drives me nuts, but I don't see a way to correct it.

UPDATE: the minute I posted this, I saw there is indeed both edit and delete options, so I assume it it similar to other sites like the Steve Hoffman Forums where you have a limited time period to fix things or delete your post altogether.

I believe this HAS been mentioned, but as a huge Moody Blues fan, I love the way the album flows in a very similar way to their masterpiece Days of Future Passed with the short orchestral interludes between the tracks.

I would like to add in my vote/hope that a future pressing of the CD will be corrected or released in some country to include the "final" correct new mixes of "Yesterday Once More" and "Ticket To Ride" that are different on the downloaded version. I would assume Richard is aware of this and hopefully he will address it in an interview at some point. Certainly if this goes to a second pressing in any country, they could include the correct versions. It would be great if we could exchange this for the fixed pressing to match the download.

I can live with it TBH, i think the changes aren't huge...... the one i notice the most is the missing harp at beginning of YOM, it just sounds slightly clunky without it but it's almost like the 'authority' of the track proper kicks in and over rides that intro. It's almost sort of dismissing that cheesy choir and saying 'I've had enough of that treacle, lets get on with it' and kicking straight into the track.

I prefer the mono piano in TTR. It adds the melancholy that i feel it needs at the beginning to set the tone of the track. She's sad, upset and bereft and that mono piano fits in perfectly. He's got a ticket to ride and I'm feeling dreadful and I'm gonna wallow in this haunting but beautiful piano intro. The stereo uplifts it slightly and changes the feel.
If you think I'm a bit mad, I think perhaps you may be right friends!!! hehe

My friend also gave me the target cd he kindly got for me in Hawaii, i LOVE PMP. Richard really did a good job on that track and i feel it works SO well.

Listening to Remastered Classics cd, A Song For You.
If you listen carefully, that line from Goodbye To Love, so evident on the RPO,
"...from this day love is forgotten...." (1:16)
is in this remastered classics mix. It really is there !
It is simply isolated on the RPO mix.
Nice.

I’m listening once again to my favourite track from the album, I Just Fall In Love Again, and one thing I’ve noticed for the first time is that even with the key change, there’s only about an octave and a half in range for Karen to handle, although it sounds a lot more. Another thing which really strikes me about this version is that with everything else that’s going on in the track, from the guitar solo to the orchestral swells, Karen’s vocal still manages to sound intimate and conversational, even on the last rousing chorus. Remarkable really.

Newvillefan, funny you should mention this song -- it's become an "earworm" that I just can't shake, for several days now. Before this album I rarely gave it a thought; now I can't get it out of my head! Maybe it's all the things you mentioned...

I guess I missed this...didn't know if was officially out...first time seeing and hearing it being played against the original video...fits well.
Did the RPO hear Karen singing while they recorded the instrumental parts..I see them with headphones on...was Karen being played over loudspeakers in the recording room or through headphones or not at all?

I guess I missed this...didn't know if was officially out...first time seeing and hearing it being played against the original video...fits well.
Did the RPO hear Karen singing while they recorded the instrumental parts..I see them with headphones on...was Karen being played over loudspeakers in the recording room or through headphones or not at all?

I watched this video yesterday and thought it was great to see the studio footage interspersed with the original video.

I don't know for sure, but I'd guess that the musicians could hear the basic track through their headphones, including Karen's vocal. In settings with large orchestras like this one, the musicians usually have a small control panel in front of them, so that they can alter the balance of the track, their own playing and the rest of the orchestra in their headphones to suit their own preferences.

So about 18 more days for the LPs to be released...excitement building once again...which version will they be?

Anyone heard any more news about the CDs being repressed with the digital version?

I watched this video yesterday and thought it was great to see the studio footage interspersed with the original video.

I don't know for sure, but I'd guess that the musicians could hear the basic track through their headphones, including Karen's vocal. In settings with large orchestras like this one, the musicians usually have a small control panel in front of them, so that they can alter the balance of the track, their own playing and the rest of the orchestra in their headphones to suit their own preferences.

I sometimes forget you studied under Itzhak Perlman, Stephen. :)

Anyone heard any more news about the CDs being repressed with the digital version?

I would highly doubt that they will do this. Especially seeing how the CD is a dying breed. I went into my local target and this album was nowhere to be found, but they had "Singles 1969-1981" and the CD section was half as big as it was the month before. Gone are the days of collecting. This could very possibly be one of the last.

I would highly doubt that they will do this. Especially seeing how the CD is a dying breed. I went into my local target and this album was nowhere to be found, but they had "Singles 1969-1981" and the CD section was half as big as it was the month before. Gone are the days of collecting. This could very possibly be one of the last.
Yeah I’m not attached to CDs as I once was but they still need to either re press the correct version on CD or give free links to the digital downloads for those that bought the Cd versions and want the updated digital version.

I hate the idea of physical media dying. It will soon get to the point where no one will own anything. Movies and music will be on a per person rights basis and it will cost the watcher/listener each time they want to use their "rights" for their media.

I bought a $20 movie from VidAngel just a couple of years ago. They then lost the rights to stream the movie and I am out of luck unless I wish to pay $5 and have a DVD (not Blu-ray) shipped to my house. I can buy that movie for the same price at Walmart.

So about 18 more days for the LPs to be released...excitement building once again...which version will they be?

Meanwhile in the accompanying (RPO shipping issues) forum thread... Some of us are still waiting for the CD (released 12/7!) to arrive! ...Ugh. :cry:

Back
Top Bottom