⭐ Official Review Carpenters Royal Philharmonic Review and Comments Thread

How would you rate Carpenters with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra?

• ⁕⁕⁕⁕⁕ (Best)

Votes: 38 36.5%
  • ⁕⁕⁕⁕

Votes: 47 45.2%
  • ⁕⁕⁕ (Average)

Votes: 16 15.4%
  • ⁕⁕

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • ⁕ (Worst)

• Did not listen to this album yet

• Total voters
Richard did a significant amount of re-recording of piano parts at Capitol Records studios. He also re-recorded oboe (and English horn and baritone oboe), clarinet, flutes, drums, and background vocals, as well as some string updates. It was all pieced together and mixed at Capitol, along with a mixture of original rhythm sections, London RPO sessions, and of course, Karen's original vocals.

Thanks - at the risk of appearing dense :wink: were the re-recorded keyboards done by Richard himself, or someone else? For example you mention Oboe, Clarinet, etc., and certainly Richard didn't perform those instruments himself. But he did play the new keyboards himself?

When John says "Richard recorded" something like oboe clarinet, etc., he means as the producer. Richard oversaw the recordings.

Those other instruments were performed by other people as noted in the credits, but but I'm sure John will verify that Richard played his own keyboards.

Thanks - at the risk of appearing dense :wink: were the re-recorded keyboards done by Richard himself, or someone else? For example you mention Oboe, Clarinet, etc., and certainly Richard didn't perform those instruments himself. But he did play the new keyboards himself?

As Mike also says above, I’m also pretty sure Richard did those piano and keyboard re-records himself. There’s no way he would entrust them to anyone else.

As Mike also says above, I’m also pretty sure Richard did those piano and keyboard re-records himself. There’s no way he would entrust them to anyone else.
Ha ha...yes, when it comes to piano, NO ONE else plays piano for any of Richard's music and he hires professionals for all other instruments.

In fact, piano parts are never created or printed for any of his music, although there is a simplified piano line in the scores for reference.

I think I may have discovered one of the reasons the vinyl release has been held up for so long. If you listen to the versions of the interludes before both "For All We Know" and " I Just Fall In Love Again" on the original pressings of the CDs and then go and listen to the current streaming versions (ex. YouTube), you'll notice major differences.

The FAWK interlude now features English horn, clarinet and a touch of strings in addition to the original piano and guitar.

I also believe the IJFILA interlude has been rerecorded. The tempo appears to be slower and this version is now enhanced with harp and string embellishments. I also noticed that a few things were absent from the new version including the guitar, a rustling noise that appeared at the beginning of the first pressing track and Richard's piano part has now been redone to remove the little grace note that originally appeared when the piano theme was repeated on the first pressing of this song.

I hope this makes sense.

I think I may have discovered one of the reasons the vinyl release has been held up for so long. If you listen to the versions of the interludes before both "For All We Know" and " I Just Fall In Love Again" on the original pressings of the CDs and then go and listen to the current streaming versions (ex. YouTube), you'll notice major differences.

The FAWK interlude now features English horn, clarinet and a touch of strings in addition to the original piano and guitar.

I also believe the IJFILA interlude has been rerecorded. The tempo appears to be slower and this version is now enhanced with harp and string embellishments. I also noticed that a few things were absent from the new version including the guitar, a rustling noise that appeared at the beginning of the first pressing track and Richard's piano part has now been redone to remove the little grace note that originally appeared when the piano theme was repeated on the first pressing of this song.

I hope this makes sense.
The only problem I have is that the public is not rushing or waiting to buy this release on vinyl. There’s probably a handful of people on this forum that are interested in a vinyl release. They would not be going to all this trouble to delay a format for the reasons you mentioned. Of course I’d love for it to be true but I just don’t see it. It’s all about money for UMe and the public had already bought the cd or download and moved on. The vinyl is for collectors, I don’t see it as a money making format or a reason to delay a vinyl release.

I hope this makes sense.

Definitely changed - Richard's still tinkering!

The vinyl is for collectors, I don’t see it as a money making format or a reason to delay a vinyl release.
Vinyl is more mainstream now, but on this title for sure--the public interest for the album has already waned. Vinyl should have been released day and date with the original digital releases. It'll be a dud, sales-wise, and you're right--only collectors will be left to buy this one, and a few impulse buyers who spot it in a rack. (And in typical Universal style, there's a slim chance the vinyl won't be without flaws, as they usually go the cheap route.)

It would be better to just give up on it, especially if the OCD tinkering never stops.

The intro to IJFILA has definitely changed and is slower, in addition to having re-recorded piano parts. The changes spoil it, especially the pointless added piano notes at the end of the interlude, which now make it sound like the closing theme tune to a romantic TV series, rather than being a serious interlude into another track. I wish he’d just stop with the constant tinkering and leave well alone.

It would be better to just give up on it, especially if the OCD tinkering never stops.
"Carpenters with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra" may very well be the world's first "rolling release" music album. The original CD that most of us bought, was Version 1.0. On release day, the digital download was Version 2.0, and we were forced to also buy it, to get the updated mixes. One person has reported buying the CD recently, and apparently, that copy contains the Version 2.0 mixes. Now there are even more changes to some of the tracks, so if you have to download the album again (from iTunes or wherever), you'll get the latest updated tracks, rather than the version you originally paid for (call it Version 2.1)... The LP, if it ever materializes, could have even more "updates"... Version 3.0? When will this madness end? :crazy: It's a freaking music album, not Windows 10, or MacOS!!! :rolleyes: :laugh:

I enjoy most of the "new additions" that Richard has added or re recorded except for the "fluttering flutes" heavy on the vibrato :sweating:... I think they sound very dated and square. Other than that many many nice additions. The guitar parts on Superstar are VERY YUMMY!! :laugh:

Just re-listened to the whole thing on YouTube. Yeah...lots of little tweaks. All nice stuff and not to sound ungrateful but shame he didn't use the time and money to finish GOOD OLD DREAMS and/or get rid of that choir. Just when you get rid of the icky aftertaste of the overture they comeback to finish you off at the finale.

Okay. So I re-downloaded my iTunes purchase and am currently listening to the songs. The songs are definitely different from the one I'm used to listen these past few months. Especially on YOM, HEO and FAWK. TMWWD also sound a little more RPO-esque

Okay. So I re-downloaded my iTunes purchase and am currently listening to the songs. The songs are definitely different from the one I'm used to listen these past few months. Especially on YOM, HEO and FAWK. TMWWD also sound a little more RPO-esque
Yep, IJFILA has a much slower and has a much more defined instrumental.

I bought the CD when it was first released and feel a little bit annoyed it's ending up quite different to that first release.
Is there any way of knowing which version is on which cd?
I don't have itunes, so can't download the newer versions

Just redownloaded this on iTunes today. So far it seems like every song has some kind of update or enhancement. Including...the original lyric for “I Believe You” has been restored (“when you say that everytime that we make love” as on the original single and MIA album version, not “when you tell me every time that we make love” as in the alternate take on previous versions.) To me this is almost like listening to an entirely new album.

Also...there is a good bit of new orchestra recording in here too. I wonder if this was from additional takes in the original sessions, done on a return trip to London with the RPO or done locally in California with session musicians?

I don’t have a clue which versions I have as I don’t have the keen ear that many of you have!
I was given as a gift the first UK cd bought, I believe from Sainsbury’s retailer on release so I’m assuming it’s the original.
Bought CD from japan with bonus track on first release so am also assuming it’s also the original.
Bought first Amazon download but accidentally deleted it after a few months so was sent another link to re download by Amazon. I’m assuming that this may be an updated version?

Back
Top Bottom