📣 News Carpenters: The Musical Legacy (Discussion)

Just got Amazon email - estimated delivery date either 11/23 or 11/24...of course, subject to change...wonder how many other books (and other items) are effected?

Hi Chris, I'm wondering if the book will touch on Richard's choice to start using choirs and other backup singers for background vocals instead of spending the studio time to record and layer the sibling harmonies which defined CARPENTERS sound? It's been suggested it was a purposeful attempt to change up the sound. Critics said that choice helped solidify CARPENTERS music as MOR elevator music. Even the most ardent and loyal fans have had trouble embracing the sounds of the OK Chorale or the Greg Smith Singers over the unique and masterful lush harmonies Karen & Richard could create. Many believe it was more expeditious on later recordings due to amount of work that went into layering all the vocal tracks and both Karen & Richard had health issues.

I was doing some special project work for Dick Clark at his offices in Burbank in the late 80's. Mr. Clark (known as the nicest man in show business) had an incredible vintage juke box in his office. It featured some of the biggest names and records in music history including several CARPENTERS hits. We chatted about the CARPENTERS sound which he loved. I asked him what he thought about some later recordings using choirs for background harmonies? I remember he paused and then he said "Those were surprising choices."

Any insight would be appreciated!

Hi Chris, I'm wondering if the book will touch on Richard's choice to start using choirs and other backup singers for background vocals instead of spending the studio time to record and layer the sibling harmonies which defined CARPENTERS sound?
While it would be interesting to know up front whether or not the book touches on this somewhat controversial or contentious issue - and I certainly have my own strong opinions on it - a detailed discussion of the pros and cons of multilayered Carpenter tracks vs. separate background singers/choirs probably belongs in another thread...

John, thank you for for monitoring my post. It would be interesting to hear about your own strong opinions. Please start your suggested thread with everyone. In the mean time, if Chris - the Moderator and author would like to address my question here, I hope he does. If not, I can easily wait for the book release.

Richard sits down with CBS This Morning's Anthony Mason to talk about our new book. Air date: October 18.

RC_Mason.jpg
I'll be watching....may God Bless Richard for his willingness to contribute so many hours to this book -- and the memories of the endearing soul of his sister

Went to Rochester NY yesterday for book signing at the "House of Guitars". What a great experience! Mike was courteous and friendly and took time to show us his new book. The book is fantastic! Order it now! Great job by Mike and Chris!

Went to Rochester NY yesterday for book signing at the "House of Guitars". What a great experience! Mike was courteous and friendly and took time to show us his new book. The book is fantastic! Order it now! Great job by Mike and Chris!
An honor to meet you both! If only we’d had more time. Please keep in touch. The pleasure was all mine. 😁

Gary asks....Is this what passes as a book review these days ?

Here is a prepublication blurb/review (??):
David Luhrssen lectured at UWM and the MIAD.

OCT. 28, 2021
The “with Richard Carpenter” signals that it’s an authorized account.
Carpenters: The Musical Legacy doesn’t dwell on Karen’s early death from anorexia but puts the focus where it should be—on the music.
But who they were (and how they were perceived) is inescapable from their music.
The book’s prologue, “The Image Problem,” blames the siblings’ unhipness for lack of high chart positions in their final years together. In truth they were never deemed as hip. But let’s not forget that in those years Karen’s interest in drums was unusual for a girl. And here’s a revelation: early on, Karen and Richard were in a group that opened for … Steppenwolf?
Musical Legacy is primarily a chronicle of events with recollections by Richard. By the time of their second LP (1970), featuring “(They Long to Be) Close to You,” they had honed their harmonies and perfected a Top-40 sound. “Close to You” had bounced around the music business for several years prior with recordings by Dionne Warwick and Dusty Springfield. The authors describe “Close to You” as “an unapologetically romantic love song coming out less than eight months after the Woodstock music festival.” After the hot spicy meal of the late ‘60s, the Carpenters were the scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Their suburban image reflected who their reality. Richad and Karen’s rebellion was limited to small cases (“Mr. Guder,” a gentle rebuke to a stodgy boss). However, despite their carefree presentation, Karen’s voice caught the feeling that something wasn’t right (“Rainy Days and Mondays,” “Superstar”).
Source:

Gary asks....Is this what passes as a book review these days ?

Here is a prepublication blurb/review (??):
David Luhrssen lectured at UWM and the MIAD.

OCT. 28, 2021
The “with Richard Carpenter” signals that it’s an authorized account.
Carpenters: The Musical Legacy doesn’t dwell on Karen’s early death from anorexia but puts the focus where it should be—on the music.
But who they were (and how they were perceived) is inescapable from their music.
The book’s prologue, “The Image Problem,” blames the siblings’ unhipness for lack of high chart positions in their final years together. In truth they were never deemed as hip. But let’s not forget that in those years Karen’s interest in drums was unusual for a girl. And here’s a revelation: early on, Karen and Richard were in a group that opened for … Steppenwolf?
Musical Legacy is primarily a chronicle of events with recollections by Richard. By the time of their second LP (1970), featuring “(They Long to Be) Close to You,” they had honed their harmonies and perfected a Top-40 sound. “Close to You” had bounced around the music business for several years prior with recordings by Dionne Warwick and Dusty Springfield. The authors describe “Close to You” as “an unapologetically romantic love song coming out less than eight months after the Woodstock music festival.” After the hot spicy meal of the late ‘60s, the Carpenters were the scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Their suburban image reflected who their reality. Richad and Karen’s rebellion was limited to small cases (“Mr. Guder,” a gentle rebuke to a stodgy boss). However, despite their carefree presentation, Karen’s voice caught the feeling that something wasn’t right (“Rainy Days and Mondays,” “Superstar”).
Source:
Funny you should bring this up, @GaryAlan.

@Mike Cidoni Lennox and I ran across the article yesterday, and have concluded that the reviewer must have only had the preview pages on Amazon as his point of reference.

Is there an update for November 17th in the Los Angeles area? Need to get time off if that’s the correct day. Thank you, and can’t wait for that book.

Is there an update for November 17th in the Los Angeles area? Need to get time off if that’s the correct day. Thank you, and can’t wait for that book.
Believe it or not, they’re still working out details. Will update just as soon as we hear. Thanks for your patience, Ken!

Believe it or not, they’re still working out details. Will update just as soon as we hear. Thanks for your patience, Ken!
Also, "Los Angeles area" is a bit vague given the geography in Southern California. Can you at least tell us if it is going to be in Los Angeles proper? Or perhaps one of the burbs? Like GB2LV, I will most likely have to take time off from work, too, but just how much time, since I work about 60 miles out from Downtown, is relevant. It makes a huge difference if this event is in Long Beach vs. West Covina vs. Thousand Oaks vs. Downtown L.A. Even a "hint" would be appreciated!

Also, "Los Angeles area" is a bit vague given the geography in Southern California. Can you at least tell us if it is going to be in Los Angeles proper? Or perhaps one of the burbs? Like GB2LV, I will most likely have to take time off from work, too, but just how much time, since I work about 60 miles out from Downtown, is relevant. It makes a huge difference if this event is in Long Beach vs. West Covina vs. Thousand Oaks vs. Downtown L.A. Even a "hint" would be appreciated!
This will be in Downey. More soon...

Happy day! My Kindle version of the book was delivered today and my actual book has been shipped, delivery expected in 3-5 days. I am loving it so far, so informative, easy to read, Richard's insights are great and the photos look amazing - even in black and white on a Kindle. I can't wait to see them in full colour. Great job @Mike Cidoni Lennox, @Chris May and Richard!!! Shame I have to work today or I'd be reading from cover to cover :)

Back
Top Bottom