šŸ“£ News Carpenters: The Musical Legacy (Discussion)

Chris May

Resident ā€˜Carpenterologistā€™
Staff member
If you are a hardcore Carpenters fan, or simply a run-of-the-mill appreciator of their untimely music and career, I would highly recommend you follow a new page on Facebook called CARPENTERS: THE MUSICAL LEGACY. It is a treasure trove of information, rarities and unearthed gems related to the duo that have surfaced, and will continue to over the coming weeks and months!

Tomorrow there will be a VERY rare and special treat for Carpenters fans, as we all celebrate the week that "(They Long To Be) Close To You" went to no. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100! I'm certain you're not going to want to miss this...

If you are a hardcore Carpenters fan, or simply a run-of-the-mill appreciator of their untimely music and career, I would highly recommend you follow a new page on Facebook called CARPENTERS: THE MUSICAL LEGACY. It is a treasure trove of information, rarities and unearthed gems related to the duo that have surfaced, and will continue to over the coming weeks and months!

Tomorrow there will be a VERY rare and special treat for Carpenters fans, as we all celebrate the week that "(They Long To Be) Close To You" went to no. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100! I'm certain you're not going to want to miss this...

Oh, yeah, Iā€™m in!

I believe I already joined!

Chris, while the link leads me to the site, when I'm searching within my FB account, nothing comes up under Carpenters musical legacy?? Can't find it...help please.

Thanks Chris for the video today, Iā€™m not on facebook so canā€™t reply there. Nice intro!! Iā€™ll be sure to bookmark this for any updates.

Thanks for sharing. Tomorrow is my 54th birthday. Love that they hit #1 on my 5th birthday!!!!!ā€™
Jonathan

Maybe it got stolen and ripped on other Facebook pages. IDK. It was an extended video footage of Close to You I had never seen before. Pretty cool šŸ˜Ž
Apparently the clip from the 1970 promotional A&M studio video has been enhanced as part of a new PBS special on Hal David and is included in the show's DVD. I also hope that they eventually enhance the 1970 video of LOVE IS SURRENDER as well.

Shame no one has addressed the query.

So sorry everybody - this has been a rather crazy week! There was an unforeseen licensing snag which no one involved was aware of so we decided to pull the video. At some point I suspect it will become available again. :)

So sorry everybody - this has been a rather crazy week! There was an unforeseen licensing snag which no one involved was aware of so we decided to pull the video. At some point I suspect it will become available again. :)
Thanks Chris, let's hope so. I caught a snippet and then it was gone.

It's not your fault mate. You were just trying to share the love, ain't nothing wrong with that.

It's not your fault mate. You were just trying to share the love, ain't nothing wrong with that.

Oh we were given direct authorization to run the clip, but sometimes a gray area issue comes up elsewhere with licensing and itā€™s better to be safe than sorry :)

Oh we were given direct authorization to run the clip, but sometimes a gray area issue comes up elsewhere with licensing and itā€™s better to be safe than sorry :)

50 years on, you would think either nobody cared about an obscure licensing handicap on a clip that old or that they were already too dead to worry about it :laugh:

50 years on, you would think either nobody cared about an obscure licensing handicap on a clip that old or that they were already too dead to worry about it :laugh:

Copyright is a pain in the neck, especially for sound recordings, since not only do you have the copyright for the actual music you also have a separate copyright for the recording itself. I remember a few years ago trying to clear the rights to a particular song and recording, and while I was able to clear the recording, I was only able to get 75% of the music cleared. The other 25% I chased as far as the paper trail allowed but then because of business acquisitions over the years and companies going bankrupt or just dissolving and no longer existing, it got to the point where I simply could not get in touch with the last known holder, so I had to abandon it because it was a gray area.

But Iā€™ve also heard of it happening with TV shows. Warner Brothers and Shout Factory released ā€œMax Headroomā€ with some grey areas in the rights (which was also why the original British TV movie was not included on the DVDā€™s, and the couldnā€™t use any scenes in the bonus content because of rights not being clear), and the 1966 Batman had a huge mess of rights (Why We're Just Now Getting the 1960s Batman TV Show on DVD).

My bad..ā€¦. should be Hal Nichols not Hal David.

No, you were correct. The PBS special is on Hal David, Burt Bacharach's long time lyricist. I think you may have gotten him mixed up with ROGER Nichols who wrote a lot of stuff with Paul Williams.

The page appears to be gone- is it coming back for the book release? How exciting!

Back
Top Bottom