šŸ“£ News Carpenters: The Musical Legacy (Discussion)

Oh we were given direct authorization to run the clip, but sometimes a gray area issue comes up elsewhere with licensing and itā€™s better to be safe than sorry :)
I personally am fascinated by how these things work, and I am basically fanboying hardcore that you were personally given direct authorization to upload a Carpenters music video. šŸ˜ It's basically my dream to have access to the Carpenters video archive and work with people to make all of the videos accessible to the public. I am wishing and hoping and praying that we will have the privilege of viewing more from the archives soon. :)

Wow this is amazing. Congratulations Chris. I read that on the web page that Richard is going to have an involvement, is this true ? Canā€™t wait for the book.

Wow this is amazing. Congratulations Chris. I read that on the web page that Richard is going to have an involvement, is this true ? Canā€™t wait for the book.

Hi Carl,

Thank you!

Richard has been deeply involved with us over the last couple of years, and considers the book to belong to the three of us. His introduction states this, and of course you'll be able to see him quoted throughout the book's entirety.

Once the official press release goes out, we'll put something more official up here, including the cover.

Chris

Hi Carl,

Thank you!

Richard was deeply involved with us over the last couple of years, actually, and considers the book to belong to the three of us. His introduction states this, and of course you'll be able to see him quoted throughout the book's entirety.

Once the official press release goes out, we'll put something more official up here, including the cover.

Chris
So exciting!! Canā€™t wait!

Might also want to add Karenā€™s name in the book description too for SEO.

Hi Carl,

Thank you!

Richard was deeply involved with us over the last couple of years, actually, and considers the book to belong to the three of us. His introduction states this, and of course you'll be able to see him quoted throughout the book's entirety.

Chris
Thank you for answering!

Fantastic news, Chris--from looking at the entry over at Amazon I note that the publisher is listed as Princeton Architectural Press. Hoping that's true, as they are a superb specialty house and are known for top-notch book design and lavish illustrations. I join the conga line here of all those barely able to wait for October (on a date that looks to be very close to Richard's 75th!)...

So exciting!! Canā€™t wait!

Might also want to add Karenā€™s name in the book description too for SEO.
I guess SEO is something I probably should know at this point, but I can only guess from all of the possibilities: Serious, or Sincere, or Separate, or Servicable,
or Sexual, or Sibling Equal Opportunity?

Hi Carl,

Thank you!

Richard has been deeply involved with us over the last couple of years, and considers the book to belong to the three of us. His introduction states this, and of course you'll be able to see him quoted throughout the book's entirety.

Chris
I'm seriously interested in the possibilities here, but still having a somewhat difficult time imagining what new and exciting revelations might be disclosed about R & K and their life and times - what has Richard (and others) been holding back of high importance or interest for all these years that he is suddenly willing to reveal - some succulent scoops on inside conversations and happenings that haven't been discussed at interminable length by others for decades? This would seem just a little too good to be true - but hope lives on...

But even if the book's main attraction turns out to be a large treasure of heretofore unseen photos of the pair (especially Karen) then I guess it might be well worth the somewhat hefty price tag...

And I would hope that Richard would agree to a Q & A session about the book here - I have questions for him...well, one question in particular.

Search Engine Optimization, also had no clue so I looked it up.
Yes, that is what SEO is. Itā€™s adding commonly searched keywords to things so people looking for something specific can find your thing. For example, someone who Googles ā€œKaren Carpenterā€ wonā€™t have the book show up for them because the word ā€œKarenā€ isnā€™t in the current description. But if they type in ā€œRichard Carpenterā€ or ā€œCarpenters,ā€ it would.

Another sort-of example is what happens if you type in ā€œKaren Carpenterā€ into Spotify or something looking for ā€œRainy Days and Mondaysā€, ā€œSuperstar,ā€ or the like- youā€™ll only get her solo album, because the songs are technically ā€œCarpentersā€ songs, not ā€œKaren Carpenterā€ songs. But a lot of newer fans donā€™t know that, so wonā€™t find them with those keywords. If the powers that be wanted to, they could edit the metadata (keywords) to make the songs show up. If you type in ā€œMichael Jackson,ā€ you WILL see some Jackson 5 songs.

Last edited:
A few days ago, a friend discovered the PBS documentary "Close To You, Remembering...."
After we viewed it, he was hooked....hooked on the music (I still wept at the end).
In any event, after that viewing (his first, my n-th time) I re-read Little Girl Blue and Coleman's earlier 'Carpenters' career bio.
After which, I yearned for an update ! Then, happily, as if a Christmas gift, the news from Chris May regards this new offering.
I wanted "the musical legacy" rendered anew and with Richard's blessing and input. Coleman needed to be brought up-to-date.
Schmidt, while well-written, does not give me what I want (or, rather gives me what I don't want: speculation regards Karen's affliction).
I welcome this opportunity to learn from Richard, Chris and Michael.

I'm somewhat fascinated to see the explosion of posts in this thread that laid dormant for the better part of two years. The original post is from back in 2019.

And no, I'm not referring to the length of time that the book is taking. I know that these things often take funny turns that eat up time. Just the fact that someone re-opened the thread and suddenly it was all new again.

I'm somewhat fascinated to see the explosion of posts in this thread that laid dormant for the better part of two years. The original post is from back in 2019.

And no, I'm not referring to the length of time that the book is taking. I know that these things often take funny turns that eat up time. Just the fact that someone re-opened the thread and suddenly it was all new again.
Itā€™s because the Barnes & Noble and other links are up now. I searched for a previous related thread rather than starting an unnecessary new one.

(Undue) Concern over the $35.00 price-tag for the new book (384 pp) invites some comparison:
The Coleman authorized biography had a first-run Hard Cover price tag of $22.00 (1994, 359 pp).
The Schmidt Little Girl Blue biography had a first-run HC price tag of $26.95 (2010, 351 pp).
Yesterday Once More, c.2000, pbk price: $24.95 (Tiny Ripple), the later 2012 YOM Reader paperback $18.95 (chicago review press).

Again, I am pleased to see that Richard Carpenter was involved with this project.
Looking forward to this publication !

Itā€™s because the Barnes & Noble and other links are up now. I searched for a previous related thread rather than starting an unnecessary new one.
Ah. OK. I thought that might have been the motivating factor.

Back
Top Bottom