📣 News Carpenters: The Musical Legacy (Discussion)

Was checking my profile today (my am corner profile...I wasnt checking myself out in the mirror) and this is my 1000th message after 18 years. Mental. But I'm gonna use it to say congrats to Chris May, an administrator who may love the carpenters more than I do...also mental.

Well done, man

Neil

From Amazon:

Description​

Product Description​

The definitive biography of one of the most enduring and endeared recording artists in history—the Carpenters—told for the first time from the perspective of Richard Carpenter through never-before-seen photographs and exclusive interviews.

After becoming multi-million selling, Grammy-winning superstars with their 1970 breakthrough hit song "(They Long to Be) Close to You," Richard and Karen Carpenter would go on to win over millions of fans worldwide with a record-breaking string of hits.

As the Carpenters reached their U.S. career peak in early 1974, both Richard and Karen were paying the price of success. Years of jam-packed work schedules, hundreds of days touring, and a lacking support system made it impossible for the Carpenters to keep the hits coming—and, ultimately, to keep the music playing at all. Through it all, Richard and Karen never took their adoring public, or each other, for granted.

In Carpenters: The Musical Legacy, Richard Carpenter tells that story for the first time, with heart and humor, shedding new light on the story of the Carpenters, whose work remains the gold standard for melodic pop, while setting the record straight. This beautifully illustrated definitive biography, with exclusive interviews and never-before-seen photographs, is a must-have for any Carpenters fan.

About the Author​

Mike Cidoni Lennox has logged 40 years as an entertainment journalist. He currently serves as a text writer and video producer for the Associated Press. Today, Mike lives in suburban Los Angeles with his husband Brian and their four-legged daughter Emmy.

Chris May is a longtime Carpenters expert and historian, as well as a 16-year moderator and contributor for the popular online Carpenters discussion forum at A&M Corner. Chris has over 25 years of experience in the music industry as a music director, arranger, producer and radio host. Today, Chris lives in the Palm Springs area with his wife Jozelle, and continues to work as a consultant, freelance music director and arranger.

From Amazon:

Description​

Product Description​

The definitive biography of one of the most enduring and endeared recording artists in history—the Carpenters—told for the first time from the perspective of Richard Carpenter through never-before-seen photographs and exclusive interviews.

After becoming multi-million selling, Grammy-winning superstars with their 1970 breakthrough hit song "(They Long to Be) Close to You," Richard and Karen Carpenter would go on to win over millions of fans worldwide with a record-breaking string of hits.

As the Carpenters reached their U.S. career peak in early 1974, both Richard and Karen were paying the price of success. Years of jam-packed work schedules, hundreds of days touring, and a lacking support system made it impossible for the Carpenters to keep the hits coming—and, ultimately, to keep the music playing at all. Through it all, Richard and Karen never took their adoring public, or each other, for granted.

In Carpenters: The Musical Legacy, Richard Carpenter tells that story for the first time, with heart and humor, shedding new light on the story of the Carpenters, whose work remains the gold standard for melodic pop, while setting the record straight. This beautifully illustrated definitive biography, with exclusive interviews and never-before-seen photographs, is a must-have for any Carpenters fan.

About the Author​

Mike Cidoni Lennox has logged 40 years as an entertainment journalist. He currently serves as a text writer and video producer for the Associated Press. Today, Mike lives in suburban Los Angeles with his husband Brian and their four-legged daughter Emmy.

Chris May is a longtime Carpenters expert and historian, as well as a 16-year moderator and contributor for the popular online Carpenters discussion forum at A&M Corner. Chris has over 25 years of experience in the music industry as a music director, arranger, producer and radio host. Today, Chris lives in the Palm Springs area with his wife Jozelle, and continues to work as a consultant, freelance music director and arranger.
Hi, Joeyesterday. Is this up for pre-order? If I search for this on Amazon.com or Amazon.co.uk I get no results.

Yes. Oct 5 release date. I searched under Chris May and it came up as a pre order.
Joe
Thanks for the link, Joeyesterday. That now takes me to the page but there's not an option to pre-order. I think it's because I'm well out of the territory. Mind you, there's no sign, 'Does not deliver to....', either.

Is anyone else who is outside the regions of US for Amazon.com and UK for Amazon.co.uk not able to pre-order?

Interestingly, the book still doesn't come up for me as a search, no matter what I enter.

It was not possible to order anything from either of these sites from my country throughout most of 2020, no doubt, due to the pandemic, but ordering has been more back to normal over the last few months, so I thought that it would have been possible to get the book.

Thanks again for your efforts, Joeyesterday - the link is going to be useful, for later on.

I can't understand why this topic isn't gaining more interest - surely this is the best Carpenters news we've had in ages! So great that Chris & Mike have got together with RC to pull this into shape. While details are sketchy, I'm hoping there will be more information on the recording sessions and just how some of the material was created.

I can't understand why this topic isn't gaining more interest - surely this is the best Carpenters news we've had in ages! So great that Chris & Mike have got together with RC to pull this into shape. While details are sketchy, I'm hoping there will be more information on the recording sessions and just how some of the

I'm not at all knowledgeable about the recording process myself, so I'm hoping it won't be on too technical a level.

Whenever I see an interview with Richard Carpenter sharing back stories and discussing the music he and Karen produced, his pure enthusiasm and talent come through, as does his love for his sister and the sound they created together.

Should be an interesting read.

It’s so much fun watching Forum friends trying to squeeze details about the book out of you here, Chris.
Why haven’t you told them the publisher had a SWAT-team member assigned to each of us, and it’s in our contract we’ll be taken out if we say a word
(Kidding, of course.)
But I think it IS OK to tell everyone about our big Wednesday night with RC, yes?
The floor is yours, partner ...
It’s time to share SOMETHING!

Last edited:
It’s so much fun watching Forum friends trying to squeeze details about the book out of you here, Chris.
Why haven’t you told them the publisher had a SWAT-team member assigned to each of us, and it’s in our contract we’ll be taken out if we say a word
(Kidding, of course.)
But I think it IS OK to tell everyone about our big Wednesday night with RC, yes?
The floor is yours, partner ...
It’s time to share SOMETHING!
Chris is going to kill you, Mike, you know that, don't you.

Back
Top Bottom