Carpenters "The Nation's Favourites" compilation coming in the UK

Stephen they must have read your post about this Ha did they really change it?

Yep :laugh:

file.jpg

didnt think of that Harry, i was ust thinking I wanted the newer 'correct' version, but mine is maybe more interesting!

New Award Alert.....excess of 60,000copies.
BPI Certified Silver on August 25th, 2017 !
https://www.bpi.co.uk/bpi-awards/

Thanks for the update, GaryAlan! When I clicked on the link, Carpenters weren't mentioned on the opening page. Many pages had to be loaded before seeing their name. What I found helpful at this site was to key in "Carpenters" as a search term; then the reader is treated to several pages of milestone certifications of Carpenters' releases.

Just put this on to play. It might be my 2nd visit. I enjoy the sequencing here. So many comps begin with Yesterday Once More.

Just put this on to play. It might be my 2nd visit. I enjoy the sequencing here. So many comps begin with Yesterday Once More.

NATION'S FAVOURITE is pretty much in chronological order and IMHO is one of the best one-disc collections in terms of hits.

NATION'S FAVOURITE is pretty much in chronological order and IMHO is one of the best one-disc collections in terms of hits.
I agree. The sound quality is exceptional. Straightfwd track selection. Not since the SINGLES 69-73 as far as comparison.
I dig the Singles set from PBS. Never did I suspect such a treat to yesterday's mixes.

This time I recorded it. Great special. Unfortunately the CD of the same name is out of print but clearly covid meant the hasty decision to broadcast this so no tie in could be planned, presumably. Even so 2 other hits packages have moved into Amazon's top 50 ( reaching #34 and #49).

This time I recorded it. Great special. Unfortunately the CD of the same name is out of print but clearly covid meant the hasty decision to broadcast this so no tie in could be planned, presumably. Even so 2 other hits packages have moved into Amazon's top 50 ( reaching #34 and #49).

Is it out of print already? I guess it was largely designed as an 'event' release around the original TV programme and wasn't intended to replace the Gold compilation in the long run.

I agree Harry. Love the cover!
Seeing this thread again, I can't believe that it was all the way back in 2016 - a fun time to be a British fan with a prime-time TV special on a major channel and a tie-in album debuting at #2 on the album charts. Ah what memories, what memories from two-thousand and sixteen.

I watched this on catch-up this morning, having not seen it since it was originally on.

The clip from Nationwide where Sue Lawley directly asks Karen about anorexia is interesting. I can’t imagine any interviewer asking such a direct question these days. Equally strange is Karen’s response about being “pooped”. Not strange to her, but it must have been to UK viewers who probably hadn’t heard of the expression before, let alone used it! Luckily it’s easy to guess what she meant (tired, exhausted, burnt out etc).

What happened to Ticket To Ride? There was a section about it in the programme but it doesn’t appear to be on the album?

Some of the song choices seemed slightly puzzling until I looked into it. Of the 20 tracks, 11 of 12 from Singles 1969-1973 are present (the exception being the aforementioned Ticket To Ride). Eight of 12 tracks from Singles 1974-1978 are here leaving only Touch Me When We’re Dancing from other compilations. Other tracks from other big UK sellers Only Yesterday and Gold don’t get a look-in (to be fair, that only leaves This Masquerade from Gold - also on Only Yesterday - plus Those Good Old Dreams and All You Get From Love Is A Love Song from Only Yesterday, with Ticket To Ride being on both).

Certainly seems that the two 1970s singles compilations still have a strong influence. How were the 20 tracks selected? Were they chosen before they were put to the public vote, or was there the option to vote for other songs?

Last edited:
I am amazed how different the audio sounds to the tape version out there. I really want to see this concert at this quality in its entirety!

I wonder if it was maybe shot on 16mm film and it’s been rescanned from the film. I remember that back in 2016 PBS re-aired “The Highwaymen: Live From Nassau”, and that was rescanned from the original 16mm masters in 1080p and was broadcast in 1080i/720p and then saw a 1080p Blu-Ray release.
I was only watching it on my phone and I didn’t see any comet trails from the stage lights as the camera pulled out, or other signs of 1970’s video camera’s (in the 70’s video camera’s were still using video tubes—-vacuum tubes—- to convert the optical image into an electronic image that would be recorded on magnetic tape; computerized CCD sensors would not be around till 1985 and CMOS 20 years after that), like black spots from overly bright objects such as the brass instruments. Film camera’s don’t use video tubes, unless you are talking of the camera’s used on the “Honeymooners” in the 50’s.

Back
Top Bottom