HOW WOULD YOU RATE THIS ALBUM?

• ***** (BEST)

Votes: 55 80.9%

Votes: 12 17.6%

Votes: 1 1.5%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Well, this is puzzling. When I search the RIAA database for the Carpenters, it yields five pages worth of hits. But when I try searching for Hall & Oates, or any combination thereof, I only get one hit: their "silver" album from 1976 receiving gold certification. Now, I know they have had way more gold and platinum albums (and singles) than that, so I'm not sure why the database is not yielding them. (Edit: Never mind. Typing in "Hall & Oates" yields not only their results, but also those of a ton of other artists. Dunno why.)

Last edited:
Well, this is puzzling. When I search the RIAA database for the Carpenters, it yields five pages worth of hits. But when I try searching for Hall & Oates, or any combination thereof, I only get one hit: their "silver" album from 1976 receiving gold certification. Now, I know they have had way more gold and platinum albums (and singles) than that, so I'm not sure why the database is not yielding them. (Edit: Never mind. Typing in "Hall & Oates" yields not only their results, but also those of a ton of other artists. Dunno why.)
By adding "Hall" it becomes a free-for-all. "Oates" will get you three pages worth of certifications. Here is the link http://www.riaa.com/goldandplatinumdata.php?content_selector=gold-platinum-searchable-database.

Or check out the Wikipedia entry for Hall & Oates certifications and chart positions and you'll see that it is much shorter than what is listed for the Carpenters. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hall_&_Oates_discography and it states, "In the US the band (Hall & Oates) has sold a certified 13 million albums and 6 million singles." 22 March 2015. In another entry it states, "RIAA-certified sales of (The Carpenters) records (albums, singles and videos) have been estimated at around 34.6 million units." 14 March 2015. This is comparing apples to apples since this only represents U.S. sales. So how did Billboard get Hall & Oates to the #1 Duo position? By chart position alone? And with sales that total 26 million less units, how did Hall & Oates enjoy so much chart time? The request line at WTFW?

OK, I wish I'd thought enter Oates and nothing else. I followed their "advanced" database directive and typed Oates, John ... but got nothing at all for that. Oh well. At least I did finally find the information I was looking for, and the list I narrowed down and posted in my related thread matches what comes up by using Oates as the search term alone. I guess it helps when your duo name is something as simple as Carpenters.:)

Billboard Top Single Picks for week Sept 29, 1973 (this would be for the 73 version of Top of the World)

Billboard%20Carpenters%20TOTW%20Sept%2029%201973.png~original

Probably my most prized Carpenters collectible is the A&M Japan CD-4 Quadraphonic LP of "THE SINGLES, 1969-1973."
The quadraphonic mixes are unique and different from the stereo versions. I have posted several of the quad mixes from this LP on my YouTube page.

Also note that "Top of The World" actually uses the original "A Song For You " lead vocal.

"Top Of The World"

"For All We Know"

"We'v Only Just Begun" (with intro)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcyKLhvLaeg

"Goodbye To Love"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQx1dAaavxc

"Superstar"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rmVUPYhwxU

Carpenters-The-Singles-1969-465199.jpg

In that Top of the World video, you can't help but pick up on Karen's 'Joie de Vivre'. And I think someone was off camera making "Smile Richard" gestures. :wink:

Motownboy, once again I must tell you how much I thoroughly delight at your quad postings. For All We Know is a breath of fresh air OMG the wah ah ah ah is masterful. I have a quad SINGLES 69-73 lp but don't know of its origin of pressing or release. Must seek and conquer. So much fun to revel in the "new" takes on these familiar pieces. Thank you TY TY and TY!

Jeff

If you are the same Motown Boy that has the YouTube channel, I'm a subscriber! Have always enjoyed your Carpenters videos. :)

Reviving an old thread!

I love love love "The Singles 1969-1973" - at first glance, it just seems like material we've all listened to for countless hours. However, be prepared to THINK AGAIN! Only our friends Richard and Karen can present previous material as all new.

"We've Only Just Begun": A "Close to You" + "Superstar" introduction? Sold!

"Top of The World" and "Ticket to Ride": new single remixes? Available on an album for the first time and absolutely incredible?? Sold again!

Here's what I like to call "hook, line and sinker": the flawless segues that link "Superstar", "Rainy Days", and "Goodbye to Love" envelope three of the Carpenters strongest and most emotional ballads (and Karen performances) into three powerful knockouts... when she sings "meeeee dowwwwn" into "Goodbye" I say, "here comes the sinker!!" :D

The material of side two is so great, it doesn't even bother me how it lacks the inventiveness of the first side; I'm still singing all the way through. I do like how they started and ended with "Close to You".

Another thing I'd like to mention is how refreshing it is to hear the original album/single versions after listening to all of the remixes for a long time -- and "Singles" is the best way to do that. I love the mixes of "Rainy Days", "Superstar", "Yesterday Once More", and "Hurting Each Other" especially.

:love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

Harry or Chris M.
Is it possible for the thread title to show like the others with the "Official Review" (in green)
I had a really hard time finding it because it wouldn't show up on search.

UK advert for The Singles 1969-1973

JyT6Iz3.jpg
This is one of my favorite photos of both of them. The Singles was the first album I ever owned back in 1973. I enjoyed this album and today my love for it is still strong. What I don’t listen to today, that I did not know at the time, are the speed adjustments in the Superstar, Rainy Days and Goodbye To Love. Plus, I love the actual ending of Rainy Days and Mondays that the medley one disappoints me. Everything else is superior, especially the opening prior to We’ve Only Just Begun. The ability to use Dolby in all the songs was also a nice touch for playback.

This is a fantastic album. They put so much work into it that It's more than just a compilation album, it's almost like a whole new album. Being a young person from the UK I am so proud of how well it did here:
17 weeks at #1 ! 63 Weeks in the Top 10... Just think about that... #1 for over 4 months !!! In the Top 10 of the Album chart for over a year !!! It was the #1 album of 1974, and the 6th biggest album of the entire 1970's ! It has charted over a number of years: 1974, 1975, 1976, 1977, 1983, 1990.

and when ever I go looking for records for my collection I can bet each time I go I will find at least one copy of this in a charity shop.

Here's an article showing the last album on discography was The Singles 69-73 so I'll post it here.
Some really interesting info about the duo and their music. Karen also responds about Bette Midler.
UK's Record Mirror "The Great Ones" April 27, 1974

hvez8Nu.jpg

t27rz1O.jpg

xBEDpRe.jpg

JGUHozX.jpg

"And this new band got a quite remarkably enthusiastic reception considering they were only there to fill in timetill the bill-toppers Evergreen Blue Shoes got on stage."

Evergreen Blue Shoes?

Thank God for YouTube:

This is one of my favorite photos of both of them. The Singles was the first album I ever owned back in 1973. I enjoyed this album and today my love for it is still strong. What I don’t listen to today, that I did not know at the time, are the speed adjustments in the Superstar, Rainy Days and Goodbye To Love. Plus, I love the actual ending of Rainy Days and Mondays that the medley one disappoints me. Everything else is superior, especially the opening prior to We’ve Only Just Begun. The ability to use Dolby in all the songs was also a nice touch for playback.

Really? I've never liked that picture - neither of their hairstyles in 1973 looked good (Karen's hair looked odd in that puffed-out style and Richard's hair was too long at the sides) and Richard's jumper is hideous! Thank goodness it didn't actually feature on the album artwork. Even the dull brown cover is better than that photo.

The scanned article above The Great Ones....
has this....
Del Shannon..."I liked their earlier material,but I think Jambalaya is an insult to Hank Williams...."
That's too funny.....my lovely Grandmother said those exact words when she heard Carpenters' version !

I like Jambalaya because it introduces country to the people who may not ever hear a country song and from ones of its best writers. But, it’s not authentic since socially, they are very much removed from the authentic time and place. If you don’t know the songs history, then it is just a fun song and done well for fun for those of us who like overdubbed Carpenters! But if you do, then you are walking on holy grail and this version has been “popped” and removed from its authentic nature. It’s not one of their best, is what my grandmother said. Sometimes, people get too serious, but then again it’s Hank Williams who is the master of his own art and we probably should not mess with it unless it’s one of his own family giving tribute.
I can think of a dozen others I would have rather heard live, but it was popular where they performed it.

Last edited:
I'm still not seeing the insult (which is a heavy use of the word) I'm assuming the Carpenters would have had to get the rights from the Hank Williams legacy to record this track. I don't think anyone would be completely authentic except the original performer, to me it's just a fun song. I don't know much about country music but I don't hear the Carpenters insulting HW in this recording at all.

I'm still not seeing the insult (which is a heavy use of the word) I'm assuming the Carpenters would have had to get the rights from the Hank Williams legacy to record this track. I don't think anyone would be completely authentic except the original performer, to me it's just a fun song. I don't know much about country music but I don't hear the Carpenters insulting HW in this recording at all.
It has been covered by many. Here is a list of them. It’s funny that the editor of this list expanded editorial comment on the Carpenters version and not anyone else. There were several artists in 1973/74 alone.

Looking at this list I can only imagine a few keeping a Cajun standard feel.

Jambalaya (On the Bayou) - Wikipedia

Last edited:
It has been covered by many. Here is a list of them. It’s funny that the editor of this list expanded editorial comment on the Carpenters version and not anyone else. There were several artists in 1973/74 alone.

Looking at this list I can only imagine a few keeping a Cajun standard feel.

Jambalaya (On the Bayou) - Wikipedia

Betrays the editor regarding his personal view of the C's, I'd imagine.

Back
Top Bottom