• Our Album of the Week features will return in June.

⭐ Official Review Carpenters "THE SINGLES, 1969-1973"

HOW WOULD YOU RATE THIS ALBUM?

• ***** (BEST)

Votes: 62 81.6%

Votes: 13 17.1%

Votes: 1 1.3%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I had forgotten it first had come with a booklet. A great album all around. I recall when i got the album, at the time, i still didnt care for G-Bye To Love and wouldnt listen to it. I just never appreciated the fuzz guitar. Of course, i love it now.

I had forgotten it first had come with a booklet. A great album all around. I recall when i got the album, at the time, i still didnt care for G-Bye To Love and wouldnt listen to it. I just never appreciated the fuzz guitar. Of course, i love it now.
No, I was never too crazy about GOODBY TO LOVE either for the longest time - I used to skip over it - it was too depressing and fatalistic, too long and wild and loud, too hard-core - just too much everything...the guitar solo in the middle was good, but why tack another, longer, hard rock one on at the end - yes, it was impressive enough from the standpoint of guitar virtuosity, but was it really necessary, or just an attempt to show critics that the Carps could rock with the best of them?

Then I read in Lucy O'Brien's book LEAD SISTER her account of how she played it for an advanced class of Music students and how impressed they were with the overall recording, especially considering the fact that it was recorded in the early 70s...

So, I pretended I was in that class and listened to it in full again and came to see from that perspective just how great of an achievement it was - I've listened to it a number of times since and now thoroughly enjoy hearing it in its brilliant entirety every chance I get.

Funny how that happens when some songs are given one more chance. It's not an uncommon experience. There may even be hope in this for some here with RAINBOW CONNECTION... :)

Back
Top Bottom