📣 News Carpenters: "The Vinyl Collection"

Status
Not open for further replies.
How long did it take them to get back to you with a confirmation?
KG

Literally overnight.

However that may have just been dumb luck as it took them about four days to respond to my initial email asking about the process.

You could always try to give them a call if you’re really concerned.

Literally overnight.

However that may have just been dumb luck as it took them about four days to respond to my initial email asking about the process.

You could always try to give them a call if you’re really concerned.

I heard from UMG yesterday and they said they sent a confirmation to me a few days ago which I can't find but they just wrote me back saying they have my name, pictures and number and they'll let me know as soon as they're ready to send out.

I think you're right and it's an A&M release not an AP release. I do have the vinyl version. I don't think it's way way better but it is a little better. (way way is a Technical audiophile term) !! The cool thing is that it has a different version of We've Only Just Begun on it.
KG

Wow I'm really confusing myself. The version of We've Only Just Begun on the new box set has a very different opening than the one I bought from Acoustic Sounds about a year ago. We've Only Just Begun is just the normal version we usually hear but on the new box set it opens with a little bit of Close to you and then morphs into We've Only Just Begun. Now I hope I have it right !!! And now after comparing the 2 versions I think I like the smoothness of the one in the new box set more. I think I said the opposite before because I got the records confused. Also in the new Box set the Carpenter's logo is raised and it's not on my other version.
KG

That prior issue of 69-73 had numerous problems, the opening of the album being just one of them.

When SINGLES 1969-1973 was conceived, Richard and Karen didn't just want to just throw on a bunch of "greatest hits", but wanted to actually make the album flow, as if it were designed from the ground up.

So, the recorded that new intro of "Close To You" to segue into "We've Only Just Begun". Then they put the newer single recording of "Top Of The World" onto an album for the first time, followed by a totally new version of "Ticket To Ride" with updated sound when compared to the old '69 version.

Next came three songs that would flow into one another, "Superstar", "Rainy Days", and "Goodbye To Love". Richard made sure that the keys matched and Karen recorded some in-between song parts for the segues.

All of that made Side One of that album a seamless experience. Side Two was pretty much just song after song.

When that latter-day vinyl came out, someone without a clue just threw the songs together in the proper order and it was soundly rejected by fans that bought it.

The new version from UMe should have all of the proper recordings and segues in place. The Japanese SACD and Platinum CD issued of a few years ago got the SINGLES 1969-1973 to a state of perfection.

That prior issue of 69-73 had numerous problems, the opening of the album being just one of them.

When SINGLES 1969-1973 was conceived, Richard and Karen didn't just want to just throw on a bunch of "greatest hits", but wanted to actually make the album flow, as if it were designed from the ground up.

So, the recorded that new intro of "Close To You" to segue into "We've Only Just Begun". Then they put the newer single recording of "Top Of The World" onto an album for the first time, followed by a totally new version of "Ticket To Ride" with updated sound when compared to the old '69 version.

Next came three songs that would flow into one another, "Superstar", "Rainy Days", and "Goodbye To Love". Richard made sure that the keys matched and Karen recorded some in-between song parts for the segues.

All of that made Side One of that album a seamless experience. Side Two was pretty much just song after song.

When that latter-day vinyl came out, someone without a clue just threw the songs together in the proper order and it was soundly rejected by fans that bought it.

As the person who first joined to report that abomination, let me reiterate how horrible it was. No retailer I contacted ever understood it was fraudulent to advertise that as "that album" because it wasn't at all.

I can confirm the new version as included in the box set does have the proper versions of the songs as should be present on the album.

As a side note, I am the music director for a group of radio stations in northeast Colorado, and we actually play those last three songs as they flow into each other as one long track from time to time.

Update: I saw Music Direct was still selling the set and contacted them this morning about it being recalled, and they replied:

We appreciate you bringing this issue to our attention. I have sent your inquiry to our music buyer and he contacted UMG and confirmed this information.

We have now removed this box set from our website and will no longer be fulfilling orders for it.

I don't understand why Amazon hasn't done the same.

Update: I saw Music Direct was still selling the set and contacted them this morning about it being recalled, and they replied:

We appreciate you bringing this issue to our attention. I have sent your inquiry to our music buyer and he contacted UMG and confirmed this information.

We have now removed this box set from our website and will no longer be fulfilling orders for it.

I don't understand why Amazon hasn't done the same.

Well it’s still on Amazon and the price is getting so low that I couldn’t help buying another box set, call me a fool but I think it’s a risk I’m prepared to take at these low prices and I won’t be opening it, it’s a back up.

Well it’s still on Amazon and the price is getting so low that I couldn’t help buying another box set, call me a fool but I think it’s a risk I’m prepared to take at these low prices and I won’t be opening it, it’s a back up.
Is that you're not stupid, I was one of those who bought the set as soon as it came out, and I thought it was going to be defective but check and listen to each album, and to be honest the fabrication is perfect, except for printing errors in the books.
With saying that they are better made than my limited white vinyl called Collected, then you never have to generalize.
I think if many came in bad conditions, but there is also the part of those who came in perfect condition ....

Yes I agree with you and I haven’t got any issue paying what Amazon are asking for this box today!. Even with import to the U.K. its 50% less than Amazon U.K. price today and less than a 1/5th What Amazon U.K. were asking a fortnight ago for it!. So happy days indeed!.

Why is paying less for an admittedly defective product a good thing? The vinyl is still noisy regardless if you paid $30 or 30 cents.

FWIW, I tried to post that the set had been recalled in an Amazon review and it was rejected as being against their terms; go figure.

As far as I can see online here in the U.K. anyways there is no mention of any recall?, indeed on the “Sound Of Vinyl” website the box set is still available for sale? Which is Universals UK website. I’m confused by this recall information?. Surely it would be on the official U.K. site if they had been officially recalled by the company but it is widely available over here on many reputable sites. I don’t wish to get Involved in to why I am buying this box set as it’s my own choice, maybe others ain’t going to touch it with a 10 foot stick but this far I have been happy with what I’m hearing, obviously if I find something out of sorts I will comment upon it and request replacement but as yet nothing to complain about - trust me if there where I would be complaining whether the item was $50 even. I don’t consider my set to be defective at all So far so good.

Last edited:
Just opened Ticket To Ride and the Vinyl although clean and free from marks is very sharp at the edges ( which suggests it hasn’t been trimmed and finished properly by the pressing machine ) also the edge has excess material (flakes of excess vinyl) stuck to the edge. The Centre hole isn’t tight but label has pitting. So that’s 1/3 that is sub standard.
Carpenters album - central hole far to tight
2/5 substandard - may as well open them all now!.

Last edited:
So I’ve opened the full box set over the past 30 minutes . Most of the albums spindle holes are so small I cannot get them into the spindle of my suspension turntable

Visual inspection of all albums

1. Ticket To Ride - Spindle hole to small , sharp edged unfinished vinyl with flakes attached.

2. Close To You - Perfect.

3. Carpenters - spindle hole far to small.

4. A Song For You - spindle hole to small.

5. Now & Then - spindle hole far to small.

6. Horizon - rough and sharp edges - record looks ok.

7. 69/73 - ok , overly thick pressed edge.

8. A Kind Of Hush - ok

9. Passage - ok.

10. Made in America - spindle hole far to small , sharp edged vinyl.

11. Voice of the Heart - one scratch and edge very rough and dirty.

12. Lovelines - incredibly sharp edges.

So there you have it 12 albums 9/12 faulty in some way or another, that’s without playing any. William I guess you were right after all.

Last edited:
Amazon have said they will send me a replacement for the damaged one (to add to the already ordered one yesterday), so that will be three of these I’ll have in my collection hopefully one of them will be free from problems or hopefully I can make a good set out of the three!. Anyways on the bright side I absolutely love the box and covers !. The probability of the one I’ve already paid for in addition to those purchased previously being perfect I’m guessing must be very low indeed?. They can’t have humans working in these pressing plants in quality control if they do they must have skin on their hands as thick as elephant hide as I’ve nearly cut myself handling these they are incredibly sharp. The chap in the Bond film could make a great throwing hat out of anyone of mine!!.

Last edited:
Well now Amazon are confusing me!, they said they are sending me a replacement for the damaged box set free of charge, then further down the email it says please box the original item up and post it back to the USA at my own cost!. So in effect Amazon ain’t giving me anything at all!!. The cost of posting said box set to the USA will be as much as the box set cost me!. Good Ol Amazon, can’t even arrange for return postage label at their expense!.

Well now Amazon are confusing me!, they said they are sending me a replacement for the damaged box set free of charge, then further down the email it says please box the original item up and post it back to the USA at my own cost!. So in effect Amazon ain’t giving me anything at all!!. The cost of posting said box set to the USA will be as much as the box set cost me!. Good Ol Amazon, can’t even arrange for return postage label at their expense!.

Be careful that Amazon won't just send you another from their stock; remember UMG is saying a minimum of six to eight weeks for the corrected set.

I got my set from Amazon US. A couple of albums suffer from issues highlighted in this thread. Amazon told me they would refund the price of the set, but I would have to pay for the return. They also said I would have to re-order. I pointed out that if I did that, I would effectively be paying for shipping costs and import charges yet again. I explained to them that a customer should not be out of pocket due to a faulty product that was out of the customers control. I am waiting for them to get back to me. Of course the problem is that whilst they may send another set out, there is no guarantee that the new set will be any better. Does anyone know if the sets available in the U.K. have been pressed at a different pressing plant to the US sets.

Well if you have been following this thread which most of you have been...you have clearly been told that it's best to wait before ordering these sets. I don't know why you all are putting yourselves through this misery and added expense. I posted my story with photos buried in this thread in hopes it would shed some light and keep the same thing from happening to other fans. The word is out, the set was pressed with bad vinyl and if your buying it now from retailers you buy it at your own risk.

I've said multiple times that it's best to wait until UMe re presses the set before purchasing, I can only suggest. I would never pay to ship something like this back to Amazon, thank goodness I didn't have to pay to ship back my set and I got a full refund. I'm not dissing the set, only that I wouldn't buy it now, there are many retailers still selling this defective stock. My guess is that UMe did NOT issue a recall to these retailers...my guess is that they are allowing these retailers to sell this stock and if defective UMe is making good on it by providing a replacement through them.

If someone had posted pictures of what I went through, I would not be purchasing this set until after UMe confirms it's been re pressed, you take your chances otherwise. I think there is another thing to remember it's very possible that when this does get re-pressed that the vinyl will sound even better than what has already been pressed as all conditions of pressing this would have been corrected.

I honestly cannot understand why anyone would have bought this set after reading about the defects, and especially after seeing Rick's pictures! They should have been enough to scare everyone away.

To Wayne, and anyone else in the same situation... DO NOT mail it back to Amazon. You'll only be wasting your money, and Amazon will just re-sell your defective set to some unsuspecting chump. You should definitely contact UMe, and follow their instructions. They will send you a new, re-pressed set when they are available.

I honestly cannot understand why anyone would have bought this set after reading about the defects, and especially after seeing Rick's pictures! They should have been enough to scare everyone away.

To Wayne, and anyone else in the same situation... DO NOT mail it back to Amazon. You'll only be wasting your money, and Amazon will just re-sell your defective set to some unsuspecting chump. You should definitely contact UMe, and follow their instructions. They will send you a new, re-pressed set when they are available.
Are UMe doing this on a worldwide basis or just the US, in other words, did UMe press these sets in the US for worldwide distribution or were sets being sold in the U.K. pressed in Europe.

Are UMe doing this on a worldwide basis or just the US, in other words, did UMe press these sets in the US for worldwide distribution or were sets being sold in the U.K. pressed in Europe.

I couldn't say for sure, but I believe the US sets were pressed at record pressing plants in Europe.

I can think of one reason to return sets to Amazon for a refund; I know I paid much more than the current price at Amazon, so it may be worthwhile to return your original set for a refund from Amazon, purchase another set from Amazon at much lower cost, and then ask UMe to replace that set, saving you $60 or so.

Amazon once again have told me to ship these sets back to them on receipt of the replacements!, I have 30 days to send them back or guess what they charge the credit card for the ones they are sending!. What then?, what if the new sets are also faulty do I have to ship four sets back to the US at what would surely be a ridiculously high postage cost - also to send them tracked to the USA would cost a fortune which I would need to ensure so that I can confirm them as sent. This is what they said in an email last evening -

“As per norms and condition of the business please understand the item cost is high you need to return the item back to us. I'm not able to send a manual return mailing label to United Kingdom. I sincerely apologize for this.”

Please then send the "The Vinyl Collection" back to us at the address below via an economical mail method, and let us know what your return shipping costs were through the link below so we can refund you this expense.

So they potentially and probably send two more these two are faulty as well it will go on and on.

They have told me in no uncertain terms that they will charge my credit card again if I don’t send the damaged ones back to them!!. Is this legal?, I know folks are saying don’t send them back to Amazon but they are practically holding me to ransom if I don’t!. See this I’ve pasted from another email they have sent yesterday -

“We must receive your return of the following items:
1 The Vinyl Collection [12 LP]
1 The Vinyl Collection [12 LP]

within 30 days after this order is delivered, otherwise we'll charge your Visa for the cost of the unreturned item.
We hope your new order works out. We look forward to seeing you again soon.”

Any advice contact Universal Music what to do?.

Last edited:
All of the new vinyls I have had have debris from the pressing process whether that be a layer of material that needs cleaning off or muck from the pressing machine, this is just par for the course with new vinyl. Even MFSL vinyl has a sheen left over from the pressing process like a layer of lacquer that needs removing by wet machine cleaning. Apologies I don’t know the technical terms for this debris, but it is very common. When you buy new vinyl it will be very dirty in the most part as they don’t deep clean the vinyl after pressing it. I have read somewhere an in-depth discussion on this very subject and it is widely known that Records will need some level of cleaning and attention when you have removed them from the plastic of paper sleeves. New records can have debris in the grooves that can affect the stylus and therefore it is best to clean new pressings .

It mentions it here

Why You Should Clean New Vinyl Records - Sound Matters

What Wayne said is true. All vinyl needs to be cleaned before they are played. Microscopically they are filthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom