📣 News Carpenters: "The Vinyl Collection"

Status
Not open for further replies.
But for a box set, it would be nice to get a vinyl box set in North America that featured all the 45's released from "Looking For Love" to "If I Had You", as well as "Something In Your Eyes" and other international singles like "Who Do You Love?", "Trying To Get The Feeling Again" and "The Rainbow Connection".

I hope that becomes a reality. I'm sure this vinyl box set of studio albums will be a success.

I didn't know "who do you love" was a single.

For the love of all that's holy, DO NOT buy a cheap Wal-Mart record shredder!!! Not if you want to preserve your vinyl investment, at least. A decent turntable / cartridge / stylus doesn't come cheap (unless you find a vintage one from a good brand at a thrift store and put in a new belt and stylus).

LMAO!! Good one, I never heard the term "record shredder" before. I am learning so much from these forums.

Can you imagine how ticked off the people who payed thousands for an original Magic Lamp single would be? :laugh:

Think how Joe Osborn will feel, wasn't it recorded in his garage? His label? It's going to be very interesting to see what this LP box set will actually look like (the labels, the packaging, etc)...I'm getting antsy :goodie:.

I've read and watched almost everything there is to do with the Carpenters and I've never read anywhere that Karen made a conscious effort to shed her lower register towards the end of the seventies.

Yes, allow me to rephrase. I think it's indisputable that Karen wanted to explore her higher register, in the late '70's. From Little Girl Blue to many other sources, this seems to be a consensus. Certainly, many of her songs in the latter part of her career were sung in a higher register, with less lower register used.

Whether that equates to "shedding" her lower register somewhat, is another matter. I do not recall reading anything specific or explicit about that; it's my opinion. I happen to believe that she made a conscious effort to use her lower register less often, as part of evolving as a singer and exploring other forms of vocal expression - and possibly, putting some distance between the "old" Karen and a "new" Karen for the 80's.

Again, the latter is just this person's opinion, based on what I've heard, read, and the songs Karen sang in the late 70's/early '80's.

it would be something special if he included all the albums along with any outtakes or songs recorded around the same time. For example
-Horizon could include "Tryin To Get That Feeling Again" which was an outtake and "Good Friends Are For Keeps" which was recorded the same year.
-Passage could include "You're The One"
-Made In America could include " The Uninvited Guest" and "Kiss Me The Way You Did Last Night"
AMEN!!! Release all albums and all recordings during that same period as bonus tracks.

it would be something special if he included all the albums along with any outtakes or songs recorded around the same time. For example
-Passage could include "You're The One"

Passage could include Sailing On The Tide as well. It would be good if he took the VOTH tracks and put them back on the albums they originated from as bonus tracks. Only problem is that would leave nowhere for Look To Your Dreams and the 1982 tracks to reside, unless he added the former to Passage and the latter to MIA the same way ABBA added their 1982 singles to The Visitors.

Just directed to this thread by the original poster, a very interesting read. For me personally I would like to keep everything as has already been released over the years up to and including Lovelines. I have all of the albums anyway in both English and Japan pressings, but this boxed set I'm guessing off the top of my head would be anywhere from £175 - £275 here in the U.K. ( comparing to the lowest price box sets I have purchased on release day recently David Bowie, Beatles , Rolling Stones in Mono ). I'm kinda hoping that Offering original cover art is included as I'd like to have that cover and have been tempted to pay good money but thus far resisted the Discogs or eBay import routes!.

Will this be on Universal here in the U.K. As they do good pre order prices.

Any rarity items would no doubt push the price up and for me are completely unnecessary.

Would love the Japanese version of this, as it would more than likely be like the SHM CDS with the obi sash strips which really are nice for a collector , took me ages to get all of those albums on vinyl with Sash strips probably paid more that twice what this boxed set will cost to collect all albums up to Lovelines which wasn't released in Japan on vinyl.

Last edited:
I wouldn't, it's horrendous and goes nowhere. If any solo track supports Richard's accusation of Ramone having Karen sing too high, this is it.

It is just a demo. It was never finished so not sure we should judge it too harshly. It may have been that she did it, everyone decided it was a bad idea, and they moved on. It's a little stilted but it also sounds kind of fun. I much prefer this "finished" version of it.

Ed

I can see the album boxed set working well with the studio albums only myself, I think any rarities may bring the quality of a definitive vinyl collection into confusion and bloating?, don't get me wrong I feel the rarities if any do have a place but not in this set. I do feel that a second box set could be compiled with the live albums , rarities and anything else that is in the vaults and deemed of such good quality as to warrant release?.

Whilst on this subject it would be great if all album covers where constructed of thick heavy duty cardboard , like "the Carpenters" Self Titled Japan release which is incredibly well made heavy and beyond compare. It is more like a hardback book than an album cover to be honest and was so well thought out and constructed a superior quality cover I have yet to see, or own for that matter.

Last edited:
When asked when the vinyl set would be coming out, a Universal rep offered this reply:
"Targeted for Sept. 15, but it could be delayed due to overseas production coordination. Vinyl production takes at least 4 months these days."

I know it's early days but in my dreams I'm hoping that this will include the MFSL version of " A Song For You ", can anyone possibly let me know if they have any information as to whether there is a strong chance that mix will finally make it to vinyl in this set? Fingers crossed!.
I know MFSL have strict time slots of when and how long an album is released for ?, I'm guessing that's why they haven't re issued this on compact disc themselves?, although I believe the mix makes it to other issues of the album.

Last edited:
It is just a demo. It was never finished so not sure we should judge it too harshly. It may have been that she did it, everyone decided it was a bad idea, and they moved on. It's a little stilted but it also sounds kind of fun. I much prefer this "finished" version of it.

Ed

Yes, this is not the Karen we all think of vocally, for sure. She is right on key, IMO; it's just not the voice we all fell in love with.

As to the issue of whether Ramone "had her sing too high", who am I to argue with Richard? But I will say this - if you consider the fact that Karen's lower register was what identified Karen to fans, as the singer of the Carpenters - clearly, I think this is the case - then it may have been Karen's decision as much as Ramone's, to explore her higher register, to explore a different sound/style than she did when singing with her brother, as part of the C's. There are many fans here much more knowledgeable about the C's than I am; but I've read/heard that Karen wanted her album to sound different; NOT like a "Carpenters album." Relying less on the signature element of her voice would (and did) achieve that.

This was a U.S. rep, so I think he's referring to a domestic release date.

When asked when the vinyl set would be coming out, a Universal rep offered this reply:
"Targeted for Sept. 15, but it could be delayed due to overseas production coordination. Vinyl production takes at least 4 months these days."

I am SO stoked for this. To have (I hope) good quality vinyl after so many years of having nothing but digital. It warms the cockles :wink:

I am SO stoked for this. To have (I hope) good quality vinyl after so many years of having nothing but digital. It warms the cockles :wink:

Buy why (and forgive my ignorance) would they release an "archaic" form of music media? I understand that a lot of music aficionados really prefer vinyl and that it makes people feel more connected to the music and that it is a purer form of listening, but... It just seems like it would be a costly investment. I'm no longer used to sitting down and listening to an entire album beginning to end (which an album on vinyl really kind of requires) and if I owned this, I would want to make it worth my while and not have it sitting around collecting dust. Maybe I'm in the minority. I would love a set where everything, everything ever recorded is out there and on CD so that I can have it in my car or upload it to iTunes and put it on an iPod.

Because all of the albums and the many compilations have been released on CD and digital formats over and over again. They have not seen a return to vinyl since that format was taken over by CDs in the early 90s. Personally, I'm not all that excited by a vinyl box set. It'll be expensive, and -- I already own the original vinyl, so I'm not all that nostalgic for it. I can plop an LP on my turntable any time I want.

But because vinyl has become an exotic collectible, artists and record companies are finding a market for re-releasing old product and another way to make money.

Buy why (and forgive my ignorance) would they release an "archaic" form of music media? I understand that a lot of music aficionados really prefer vinyl and that it makes people feel more connected to the music and that it is a purer form of listening, but... It just seems like it would be a costly investment. I'm no longer used to sitting down and listening to an entire album beginning to end (which an album on vinyl really kind of requires) and if I owned this, I would want to make it worth my while and not have it sitting around collecting dust. Maybe I'm in the minority. I would love a set where everything, everything ever recorded is out there and on CD so that I can have it in my car or upload it to iTunes and put it on an iPod.
Also remember that a lot of people who are into vinyl, rip there vinyl to wave files or mp3s so that they are readily available anywhere on the go. All of my vinyl is ripped to mp3s so I can listen to them on my laptop, iPad, iphone or car. CDs are great but vinyl just gives you that warmth you can't get from CDs. I can listen to an album of vinyl and not get any listening fatigue...some CDs I can't say the same.

I'm not excited by vinyl releases, either. I suppose it's a personal thing, though. I wouldn't buy vinyl because I've already spent so much on Carpenters stuff over the years and own all the albums in that format.

You might want to look at LP sales these days. It's pretty incredible how they've managed to stage a comeback. It's one that's been going on for a few years now. LP's can now be found in Best Buy, Barnes & Noble, and other national chains. Hard to believe but it's back in a pretty interesting way.

Ed

Are there any updates or developments on this vinyl boxed set perhaps? , been a few weeks now without any further information. Thanks fingers crossed!.

Hi, I haven't heard anything new from Richard, other than it being "Fairly Soon". Word is that it will be potentially this September.

Most of the vinyl released in the new millennium seems to include ever-popular albums that have already sold in the multi-millions over the decades, plus the occasional currently popular album. Interesting that albums by Carpenters have never been released in this run.

I'm also not sure id spring for this right away, so many factors come into play. Not all new vinyl is quality vinyl and what masters are they creating this from? Japan or US? It will be expensive and if not done right would be a huge letdown.

I'm also not sure id spring for this right away, so many factors come into play. Not all new vinyl is quality vinyl and what masters are they creating this from? Japan or US? It will be expensive and if not done right would be a huge letdown.

hi Rick,

I have the same concerns too, but it's Richard who is behind it... It is Richard the perfectionist!
I find it hard to believe he would let it be released as anything less than perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom