📣 News Carpenters: "The Vinyl Collection"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I noticed that Amazon Canada has not yet pulled the box set from their website. I doubt they have received the re-pressed boxes already?

I sent an email to Universal regarding the current stock on Amazon Canada. Hopefully they can confirm and/or withdraw the current stock to prevent other fans from making a bad purchase.

Universal won’t be doing any more box sets!, they are only replacing individual albums now!
They sent me this email I think it means they won’t be re issuing this set and only making good on the sets already sold!.

Unfortunately, we will not be re-manufacturing complete box sets and will only be providing replacement LPs. If you feel that the value will be lost by opening the sealed box, you do have the option of returning the product back to your retailer for a full refund.

I guess then that this box set will be a limited edition reading the above, does that mean then that all those waiting for a repress and buying the full set will be out of luck?.

Last edited:
Thanks Wayne. Yes, I just received the same e-mail. The customer service person just received word that they will not be re-pressing the box set and only replacing the individual faulty albums. Oy! What a mess!

No wonder people have put the prices up!, they must have got prior warning about this, I’m glad I’ve got one now!, if they ain’t going to redo the box I’d rather have the tight spindle holes then nothing at all!. I’m now listening to ASFY my first out of 24 albums to go through it sounds superb to me through headphones and I haven’t even cleaned it!. This is a joy best I’ve heard my favourite album on my system thus far. If they all sound like this I’ll be well happy, my record cleaning machine is good for stretching the spindles a bit. 23 to go!.

I wonder why they changed direction maybe they only had the rights to press a certain many box sets for a certain amount of time. It’s interesting why they won’t be doing these sets In full now. Maybe Richard has read the riot act to them for making such a hash of it first time around!. Or maybe he could be doing his own take on it and they only had the rights for a certain re issue process?. Whatever it is something must of happened to prevent full sets being done.
I wonder how many of these have been sold?, I put the post up on Discogs which took me an age to do and people seem to be wanting to buy it now ?.

Spent 6 hours typing the below on that site

Carpenters - The Vinyl Collection

Lovelines wow what a sound, I do have the original LP record here but I can’t remember it sounding as good as this one does. I’ve nearly got tears in my eyes listening to uninvited guest, two down both perfect sounding, 22 left.

For those that have listened to the A Song For You LP, which version of Top Of The World are you hearing? I haven't listened to these yet and I've been told that it's actually the Singles 1969-1973 version. Is this correct?

Unless my ears are bad I’ve just listened to it, I’ll get it out again in 15 minutes and play it again!. This Lovelines is blowing my socks off!. Forgot how good an album this is, to be honest I’ve concentrated on the early stuff for to long. What a production on this album it’s astounding!.
Just gone back to Top of the World it’s defintely the original compared it to the mobile fidelity and it sounds different at the beginning to me. All my original albums are in flight cases so it’s hard to say. It may well be slightly different though I can’t make my mind up now!!. The pedal steel at the beginning has the harmonics in it on the new LP on the MFSL it doesn’t.

Last edited:
No wonder people have put the prices up!, they must have got prior warning about this, I’m glad I’ve got one now!, if they ain’t going to redo the box I’d rather have the tight spindle holes then nothing at all!. I’m now listening to ASFY my first out of 24 albums to go through it sounds superb to me through headphones and I haven’t even cleaned it!. This is a joy best I’ve heard my favourite album on my system thus far. If they all sound like this I’ll be well happy, my record cleaning machine is good for stretching the spindles a bit. 23 to go!.
Yeah I see Amazon UK are selling again at £318.00. That really is a poor price for 12 albums in a box without any kind of book.

Just had confirmation that UMe will replace all of my 12 LPs.

That's what I figured :)

I’ve just done a stop watch and 9 seconds in on the new cut there is a pedal steel harmonic structure which isn’t present on the MFSL cd I have , can’t get my original album out to compare to see if the Harmonic pedal is present at this time but for sure at 9 seconds it is on the new cut.

Boy do they sound good though , it reminds me of the old nursery rhymes when she was good she was very very good etc. And boy does the lady sound great on these albums. fingers crossed no more rotten apple pressings!, Hopefully won’t encounter any issues more than the two boxes I’ve shipped back to Amazon last week!.

Last edited:
I’ve just done a stop watch and 9 seconds in on the new cut there is a pedal steel harmonic structure which isn’t present on the MFSL cd I have , can’t get my original album out to compare to see if the Harmonic pedal is present at this time but for sure at 9 seconds it is on the new cut.

Well I wouldn't be comparing the original album mix to the MFSL version, as that master was pulled from the hybrid tune stack back in the late 80s that had the single mix.

Never mind LOL! I just sloowwwwly re-read your post...gotcha :)

I can’t get to originals I have, I’m redecorating and all of my carpenters are at the bottom of a pile of flight cases. If anyone can listen to the original in the meantime and if they hear the harmonic at 9 second in, if it isn’t there then maybe this is another version.

Universal won’t be doing any more box sets!, they are only replacing individual albums now!
They sent me this email I think it means they won’t be re issuing this set and only making good on the sets already sold!.

Unfortunately, we will not be re-manufacturing complete box sets and will only be providing replacement LPs. If you feel that the value will be lost by opening the sealed box, you do have the option of returning the product back to your retailer for a full refund.

Well, this is too bad. I was waiting for all the hullabaloo to calm down first, and then I was going to buy this set. But if they are just giving up and quitting, that's just sad. Think of all the money they lost with these snafu's and then not making up for it by selling the good sets later.

Well, this is too bad. I was waiting for all the hullabaloo to calm down first, and then I was going to buy this set. But if they are just giving up and quitting, that's just sad. Think of all the money they lost with these snafu's and then not making up for it by selling the good sets later.

Ifs still for sale on Amazon CA I’d be quick though it isn’t megabuck on their !.

This Lovelines is blowing my socks off!. Forgot how good an album this is, to be honest I’ve concentrated on the early stuff for to long. What a production on this album it’s astounding.

couldn't agree more wayne :)
I think I said in another post, that I think it`s sad that a lot of their music dos`nt get the air-time it deserves. here in the U.K on radio 2, all you ever seem to hear of the carpenters, are the same three tracks and Karen and Richard were more than just 3-4 songs!

the first two albums I listened to out this set, were made in America and loveliness, last night, I sat and listened to them both again, for the same reasons, truly beautiful music to listen to and loveliness is amazing :) like you, I`m blown away by the quality of these 180g vinyls, simply amazing.

I echo this.

I also agree with this statement above.

To me something doesn't sound right, this was not marketed as a limited edition box set and now for them to up and basically quit manufacturing it...something is going on in the background we are not privy to. Let's face it this box set was a disaster the moment customers began to receive these defective sets and now to hear they won't be re manufacturing the box is another huge letdown.

It's a letdown for the public who want to buy it, a letdown for the record label, a let down for the artist and most of all a letdown to correct a wrong. A wrong that UMe needs to take responsibility for in not overseeing the original pressing and correct it by re pressing the vinyl exclusive for the public that wanted the original box set as marketed.

Never under estimate the power of the public, when something fails there are repercussions. I still think there is something about this we don't know about...part of the Carpenters legacy has been affected by the defective release of this set and then opting to quit after things turned bad. This is about the preservation of their music.

Well I’ve posted the two broken box sets back to Amazon $65 from the U.K. at my expense. They said they would refund me eventually but I don’t like the way they stipulated send back before xx/xx or we will charge you.
The box sets weigh 4.8kgs a box with packaging to USA - 11kgs not like sending a snail mail is it!.
How many box sets have you had now? I've counted four. Have you had to pay for them all up front?

Reading the latest comments, it would seem that it was a good idea to buy the set when we did, regardless of known problems, because if we had waited, we might not have been able to buy a full corrected set further down the line if UMe are not doing any more boxes. I just hope I and others in the UK do not get hit with any custom charges when this new set arrives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom