• Two exciting new Carpenters releases are now available. The new book Carpenters: The Musical Legacy can be ordered here. A big thanks to the authors and Richard Carpenter for their tremendous effort in compiling this book! Also, the new solo piano album Richard Carpenter's Piano Songbook is available for ordering here.

Carpenters Top of the World 1981 Live

adamj95

Any idea how to see this performance? It's seen here at 49:32 in this video below and I believe the link above of the perfromance isn't viewable in the USA.

Mark-T

I've only ever seen it here:
Quality is not that good, unfortunately
Download here:

Thank you so much!
I had not heard this before.

kprather

Watching various Richard interviews, you start to notice that he repeats the same anecdotes almost verbatim. The bit about Levenkron suggesting Karen might not want to be a singer was mentioned at least twice.

It's funny because now that we're in the 2000s, Richard is comfortable trading in "Fat chance" for the "Bullsh**!" that he really wanted to say all along.

A&M Retro

Thank you so much!
I had not heard this before.
To my ears, Karen sounds pretty darned good on the 'live' version of TOTW from '81. She's obviously very frail and sick, but she did a good job. The only audible thing I detect is some breathless sounds here or there, but I like this version. That poor lady was a trooper to the very end. It's so heartbreaking.

Vinylalbumcovers

Ah am so steel een luv weeth yoo
To my ears, Karen sounds pretty darned good on the 'live' version of TOTW from '81. She's obviously very frail and sick, but she did a good job. The only audible thing I detect is some breathless sounds here or there, but I like this version. That poor lady was a trooper to the very end. It's so heartbreaking.

It's hard to watch so I didn't watch for long, but was fine to listen. I hear the breathlessness too. There are phrases she cut in half so she could get them across. In spite of what she'd put her body through, her power may have waned but her pitch NEVER left her.

Ed

GaryAlan

One need only listen to the other live Carpenters' versions of this song, Top of the World,
to hear how this 1981 performance is utterly heartbreaking.
1981 represents a mere shadow of all other previous "live" performances of the same song
and if no one---even today in 2022-- is willing to admit that Karen's disease compromised her voice,
how could she herself ever admit she had a disease ?

David A

This thread is possibly headed in the path of the Moderator asteroid, so I thought I'd get my comment in now.

The first version sung on the above recording is clearly live; not dubbed with some previous version. It is not good, at least in comparison to her renditions when healthier. As others have said, and I agree, while I love to see them perform it's hard to watch that performance, on a number of levels.

Very sad reminder of the toll her disease took on her.

kprather

Her voice is definitely breathier in that performance, but that echoey microphone is certainly not doing her any favors.

Top Bottom