Carpenters tributes???

Modernlydie

Hey there, newbie here (although I have been reading posts on and off for a couple of years)
I have to say, thank you for your love and dedication to The Carpenters. You have been a huge resource to me over the years when I have questions.
I have searched to see if this topic has been brought up before but I can't find it. Could be because it's a no go area so apologies if this offends.

Do you go and see tribute acts?
I have been researching them a lot as I have started one and I wanted to gauge opinion on what audiences liked and responded well to.
Well...I have to say, I am not best pleased with what I've seen.
I have been in love with The Carpenters since the age of 9.
Personally, a tribute HAS to be as close as possible to that artist. Especially in Karen's case, with having such a perfect sound, it's difficult to recreate. If the tribute artist is not close enough to the sound, for me, I'd rather them do a 'cover's show' as again, personally, I think it does a disservice to the original artist.
It annoys me that some people earn thousands being a tribute act and don't sound anything like her!!
I can post links to videos of those tribute that I have seen that enrage me so. I can also post links to those few pearls who are absolutely amazing and make me feeling like giving up!! :)

As I said, I have formed a tribute because when I did covers of Carpenters songs, so many people encouraged me to because they said I sounded so much like her. I have a similar tone, but I am nowhere near the perfection of Karen's voice.
So, I have a few questions.
Would you prefer to see a tribute or covers band or not at all?
How close does the sound to the original does a tribute band have to be?
If you were to see a tribute, would you rather hear a recreation of the studio recordings, live performances or a mix of both?
I already have a 90 mins set but what are the absolute must tracks that you would HAVE to hear if you went to see a tribute?

I do have more questions but thought I'd start off with the above.
Thank you in advance.

I live in an over-55 community in Florida and our lifestyle program includes many tribute artists. We recently had a guy doing Elton John and he was fabulous. Each year, they send out a questionnaire asking our community who they'd like to see as tribute bands, and Carpenters always comes out near the top.

A few years ago, I found someone online with a YouTube video that seemed pretty good and recommended them to the lifestyle director. He informed me that though based in Florida, they'd stopped doing that tribute, for whatever reason. Another duo comes by every now and then and he's a jack-of-all-trades musician-type, and she's a singer with an incredible range. I've asked her to do Carpenters whenever we see her, and though she gets the range in that deep alto, her voice doesn't really mimic Karen's, but then again who does? In fact, I sing bass in our local chorus, and I think this woman can hit notes lower than my range, and yet she also goes way up in the super-high soprano range.

Anyway, we've yet to get a real Carpenters tribute act here. I've seen several ABBA tributes over the years, but Carpenters seem to be the hardest to pull off.

Thankyou for your feedback.
I tried to do a recording, this afternoon for you to give some feedback on, but I ran out of time so will have to do it when i get home later. Along with the set list I'm thinking about. In the meantime...here's a link to one of the tributes I find most frustrating. I'm not posting to criticise the singer as she's a very good singer. I'm annoyed at the fact that she us one of the UK's premium tribute acts performing at theatres (currently touring) around the country for over £5000 a night. I think if you're doing that you have to be damn close to the real thing.

Those of us that were at the Carp 50th Anniversary Celebration last April were treated to some nice tribute performances. Michelle Berting Brett's performance at The Downey Community Theater was a first-class production. It was a complete tribute to the music of the Carpenters and she did not try to "impersonate" Karen. Her excellent singing carried the show, along with a very good band. The show got a standing ovation at the end.

Ned Mills & Sally Olsen had a smaller venue for their show. It was in one of the large banquet rooms at the hotel. They put on a show that pretty much was the Carpenters appearance of 1976 New London Theater. Complete down to wardrobe and mannerisms of our favorite duo. It wasn't as polished as Brett's performance, but as I understood it they were still fine-tuning the show for a launch in Vegas as part of The Legends show. I still enjoyed their show, especially when Ned came out and did three Herb Alpert & TJ Brass numbers with him playing trumpet.

Toni Lee was an attendee at the convention. I was disappointed when she only had a DVD presentation instead of a live performance, but she dimmed the lights and played the whole DVD for us. Not only did she look, sound, and dress like Karen - on the song Goodbye To Love there was a lengthy fuzz guitar solo that actually was kicked-up a notch higher than Tony Peluso's. People were commenting that were sitting around me on how great that guitar solo was, and on the DVD the live audience gave that guitarist a standing ovation. I hope she tours in the US soon because I would like to see her performance and bring that guitarist with her!

Judy Pancoast with just a piano accompaniment did a one-woman play. Singing very well and giving us a narration at the same time of her lifelong love affair with the Carpenters. She had a hard time not tearing-up during certain songs and her performance brought one woman sitting in front of me to tearful sobbing. She related a humorous story of how she was allowed backstage to meet the duo before a show while a teenager in Portland Maine, and when she first laid eyes on Karen, she was sitting there doing needlepoint. She then turned to say something to Richard and no sound came out. She was star-struck! :laugh:

Going in, I didn't think I would like any of these tribute shows. But I thoroughly enjoyed myself at every one of them.

If you ever get a chance to see one of these, do it! :)

Those of us that were at the Carp 50th Anniversary Celebration last April were treated to some nice tribute performances. Michelle Berting Brett's performance at The Downey Community Theater was a first-class production. It was a complete tribute to the music of the Carpenters and she did not try to "impersonate" Karen. Her excellent singing carried the show, along with a very good band. The show got a standing ovation at the end.

Ned Mills & Sally Olsen had a smaller venue for their show. It was in one of the large banquet rooms at the hotel. They put on a show that pretty much was the Carpenters appearance of 1976 New London Theater. Complete down to wardrobe and mannerisms of our favorite duo. It wasn't as polished as Brett's performance, but as I understood it they were still fine-tuning the show for a launch in Vegas as part of The Legends show. I still enjoyed their show, especially when Ned came out and did three Herb Alpert & TJ Brass numbers with him playing trumpet.

Toni Lee was an attendee at the convention. I was disappointed when she only had a DVD presentation instead of a live performance, but she dimmed the lights and played the whole DVD for us. Not only did she look, sound, and dress like Karen - on the song Goodbye To Love there was a lengthy fuzz guitar solo that actually was kicked-up a notch higher than Tony Peluso's. People were commenting that were sitting around me on how great that guitar solo was, and on the DVD the live audience gave that guitarist a standing ovation. I hope she tours in the US soon because I would like to see her performance and bring that guitarist with her!

Judy Pancoast with just a piano accompaniment did a one-woman play. Singing very well and giving us a narration at the same time of her lifelong love affair with the Carpenters. She had a hard time not tearing-up during certain songs and her performance brought one woman sitting in front of me to tearful sobbing. She related a humorous story of how she was allowed backstage to meet the duo before a show while a teenager in Portland Maine, and when she first laid eyes on Karen, she was sitting there doing needlepoint. She then turned to say something to Richard and no sound came out. She was star-struck! :laugh:

Going in, I didn't think I would like any of these tribute shows. But I thoroughly enjoyed myself at every one of them.

If you ever get a chance to see one of these, do it! :)

The show presented by Ned Mills & Sally Olsen was my favorite out of the bunch. I, too, am typically discouraged by these tribute acts as there is no one that can do a near perfect imitation of Karen's voice. If you think about Elvis, for example, nearly everyone and their sister can do a passable Elvis impression and that explains much why there are so many. But Karen can't be duplicated in a passable way by anyone...and that's no fault of those performing the tribute acts...it's just a fact that made Karen and Richard even more "special." However, I found myself "lost" in Sally Olsen's portrayal and had a really good time! I would love to see it again when Ned and Sally have the full complement of the show behind them in a more suitable venue (rather than just the meeting room where they performed at the 50th convention).

^^ I agree with your comments on the Ned & Sally show. I can only see it getting better the more times they do it. I had the feeling their presentation had very good potential. He seemed to be a very good keyboardist (remember his "Gershwin" medley in place of the Warsaw Concerto? - Nice touch!) and she had the mannerisms of Karen down pat. And physically, she looked to be the one that most naturally resembled Karen; 5' 4", slight features, long flowing brown hair, pretty face. She did need work on her drumming technique though:). All in all, a very good show. The next time I am in Las Vegas (which will probably be never) I would like to see the show or perhaps they can take it on tour to Sacramento or perhaps Lake Tahoe which would be closer to my location.

I've been excited to go and see a tribute here in the uk but been totally put off by the marketing videos I have seen, which kind of spurred me to try and do some thing myself.

Personally, I want to hear something pretty close.
I have discovered 'Solitaire' Solitaire Carpenters Tribute
Very good sound but lacking a little in charisma.

Anyway, I guess you can't really judge me unless you have heard me so here's a little demo I put together last night.

I know it's not perfect and I don't have much confidence in recording (much better live) even so, I think I get slightly closer to the sound that some I have heard.

I guess I just want to hear from you, the 'experts' whether it's something I should continue or quit whilst I'm ahead!

This is the list I am working on.
I hope I haven't missed anything obvious!
Yesterday once more
Please Mr Postman
I need to be in love
Close to you
I wont last a day without you
I just fall in love again
All of my life
I believe you
Goodbye to love
We've only just begun
Theres a kind of hush
Solitaire
This masquerade
Only yesterday
Sweet sweet smile
Jambalaya
It's going to take some time
Superstar
For all we know
Ticket to ride
All you get from love is a love song
A song for you
Let me be the one
You
You're the one
Hurting each other
Top of the world

I want to educate during these shows too, so if anyone has any factoid that I could work into he show, that would be great!

I've been excited to go and see a tribute here in the uk but been totally put off by the marketing videos I have seen, which kind of spurred me to try and do some thing myself.

Anyway, I guess you can't really judge me unless you have heard me so here's a little demo I put together last night.

I know it's not perfect and I don't have much confidence in recording (much better live) even so, I think I get slightly closer to the sound that some I have heard.

I guess I just want to hear from you, the 'experts' whether it's something I should continue or quit whilst I'm ahead!

Yesterday once more
Please Mr Postman
I need to be in love
Close to you
All of my life
I believe you
Goodbye to love
We've only just begun
Theres a kind of hush
Solitaire
This masquerade
Only yesterday
Sweet sweet smile
Jambalaya
Superstar
For all we know
Ticket to ride
A song for you
Let me be the one
You
You're the one
Hurting each other
Top of the world

I want to educate during these shows too, so if anyone has any factoid that I could work into he show, that would be great!

Closer. Not exact (no one could be). But I'd go see her tribute.

Yesterday once more
Please Mr Postman
I need to be in love
Close to you
All of my life
I believe you
Goodbye to love
We've only just begun
Theres a kind of hush
Solitaire
This masquerade
Only yesterday
Sweet sweet smile
Jambalaya
Superstar
For all we know
Ticket to ride
A song for you
Let me be the one
You
You're the one
Hurting each other
Top of the world

Not bad at all...follow your dream! And when you tour the US, put your schedule in this forum so I can buy a ticket to see your show! BTW it takes a lot of personal courage to post your singing on YT and in this forum...KUDOS!!

My favorite tribute acts are the ones who do try to resemble the original performers, provided they're really good at it (but if they're not, it's painful) - I was born too late to see John Denver, Elvis Presley, the Beatles, etc. in person, but what a gift it is to be able to pretend for just for a second that I'm there at the "real thing" due to watching a really good tribute artist.

Excellent summary of the Carpenters' 50th tribute performers, carpe diem! I really appreciated that we were treated to 4 shows.

So many Carpenters tribute acts I've seen on YouTube figure that "brunette alto = Karen" when there is so much more they could be doing with mannerisms, vocal inflections, etc. that, say, tribute artists of other performers do on the regular, but not so much with the Carpenters for some reason. Maybe I'll throw my hat in the ring someday if I get better at the drums, haha.

So many Carpenters tribute acts I've seen on YouTube figure that "brunette alto = Karen" when there is so much more they could be doing with mannerisms, vocal inflections, etc.
Honestly, everyone and their sister can do a passable Elvis impression. It's near, if not completely, impossible to sound close to or exactly like Karen. The best Carpenters impersonators, in my opinion, are the ones that do exactly what you state; imitate the "mannerisms, vocal inflections", but also the performances especially visually. My very first thought when I see a Carpenters tribute act is "she doesn't sound like Karen." Kind of unfair, as no one will again in our lifetime. But there are a couple out there that, because of the "whole package" reenactment of their tribute, can make me forget about that or, at least, look past it during their otherwise stellar production. Sally Olsen and Ned Mills based out of Las Vegas (and who performed at the 50th celebration in Thousand Oaks) have definitely figured this out and provide an awesome Carpenters "experience."

Also, Michelle Berting Brett (also performed at the 50th celebration) did a fantastic Carpenters Christmas performance that I caught in Laughlin, Nevada this past year. Again, no one can sound exactly like Karen; but I really appreciate these tribute acts for keeping the memory alive.

I saw Toni Lee perform in 2015 and she was amazing. Sounded just like Karen carpenter. Then I saw The carpenters story a few years later which was lovely. And then Carpenters Gold which has the performers matching the same outfits worn during various concerts by the actual carpenters. I’m also seeing a tribute act called The British Carpenters next year - anyone seen them or heard of them ?

This is nice! I do think you would sound far better without the Autotune. Your tone is nice and it gets better as the song progresses. Tuning software just kills warmth and you'd definitely sound warmer without it. Sounding like Karen isn't a realistic goal for anyone but sounding warm and sincere is definitely obtainable...and you're nearly there.

Ed

Back
Top Bottom