CARPENTERS VINYL REISSUES: Audiophile Discussion

I received the box set from Santa last Christmas and finally cleaned four of the LPs. I've played two so far; A Song For You and Lovelines (no special significance). Overall, I'm impressed with the sound. One observation (on both records) is the lows seem more prominent than the highs. There are rich bass tones throughout, and the vocals, strings and horns (middle sounds) sound great. The subtle highs like woodblock or high-hat cymbals seem drowned, even lost, in the mix. A small complaint, yes, but I've always been a fan of percussion. I first cleaned them with Disc Doctor fluid (a good product for cleaning and reducing static). Even so, between songs, or in the emptiest passages between notes, sometimes there are tiny ticks or pops; then when the music returns, the overall quiet returns. In that respect, the 180gm vinyl (my first exposure to it) isn't too different from clean (mint or unplayed) vintage vinyl. As a lifelong Carpenters fan, I had to have the vinyl box set--just for the experience of owning it. As far as listening to their albums, I will continue to choose whichever format (legacy vinyl, CD, 180gm vinyl) matches my mood at the moment. Each has its subtle differences and nuances. It might be fun to wear a blindfold and see if I can guess which format I'm listening to! LOL

The album version is also the single version in terms of vocals. The version you dont like is what was played on the RADIO. Remake never charted. Makes sense to use original I think.
Since someone mentioned Carpenters Collected (the double LP pressed on audiophile white vinyl [which is the one I got] or black vinyl), I will highlight something I was not too pleased with...they used the album cut for Yesterday Once More, in the sense that, instead of fading away 'nicely' like it did in the Singles 1969-1973 album, you could hear the start of the car engine sound (that introduced the Oldies Medley in the Now & Then LP) and then it faded away. Ugh. And they used the album version of Ticket To Ride, when I would have much preferred the re-cut 1973 version (personal preference).

I only bought Lovelines. I’m an audiophile and pick up little differences. It sounds like it came from the red book source for Lovelines 1998. The extra bass and treble is because of whatever stylus and cartridge you are using. Tracking and VTA are also crucial for true quality. Original Lovelines wins in depth.

I just bought the 'Tan' album and Lovelines. They both sounded really good. Lovelines, in particular, sounded amazing - much better than the original pressing and CD versions. The clarity and depth were gorgeous, and the "noise" one usually hears in vinyl in between tracks was barely audible. Very happy with these purchases, and just added Horizon to my batch, from a shop in Singapore selling these re-pressings. I believe it will be delivered today :)

Since my last post on this I managed to get an entire box set... every disc was fine.

Interesting you say that about Lovelines compared to the original LP, which I feel the opposite. I guess we all have different ears. To me it sounds like the CD pressing with adjustments to the EQ settings. I played an original copy of Lovelines (which is better then the CD) next to the repressing with a needle drop and compared them both on my Mac. The original LP is clear and “in your face” despite being mastered digitally even in 1989. Perhaps the original digital master got lost or Universal didn’t seem to care and just tweaked the CD release. (Made In America is terrible and painful to listen to compared to the original.. so lifeless.) Lovelines is one of those repressings you think would sell the most, as the original is so hard to find. Fine one and compare side by side.. there’s a big difference.

Since my last post on this I managed to get an entire box set... every disc was fine.

Interesting you say that about Lovelines compared to the original LP, which I feel the opposite. I guess we all have different ears. To me it sounds like the CD pressing with adjustments to the EQ settings. I played an original copy of Lovelines (which is better then the CD) next to the repressing with a needle drop and compared them both on my Mac. The original LP is clear and “in your face” despite being mastered digitally even in 1989. Perhaps the original digital master got lost or Universal didn’t seem to care and just tweaked the CD release. (Made In America is terrible and painful to listen to compared to the original.. so lifeless.) Lovelines is one of those repressings you think would sell the most, as the original is so hard to find. Fine one and compare side by side.. there’s a big difference.
I think the only digital master made in 89 would’ve been what was intended for the CD pressing plant. Otherwise the LP would’ve been made from an analog master. Remember Richard was still recording, mixing and mastering in analog in 89. And for records there would’ve been a master eq’d for vinyl, while there would’ve been a digital master eq’d for CD.

Maybe the Singles Coke bottle colored vinyl from Target. There are threads and opinions about the vinyl reissued records on here, or read the reviews on Amazon. Not very good.

I'll have to take a listen when I have time, and would like to listen when I invest in an even higher-end stylus, although my current Grado Black does sound good. I remember listening to some and thinking it sounded like the digital, redbook masters and not the original masters, but will have to listen again.

(I have the whole box set, with the white box and "Carpenters: The Vinyl Collection" on the side. I haven't listened to it in a couple of years, I think.)

Back
Top Bottom