đź“Ł News Carpenters With The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just thinking, but what if one of the tracks was “Looking For Love” or maybe “Nowhere Man”? With the technology that is out there (I.e. Elvis’s “Duets”), Richard could lift Karen’s vocal out of the mono mix.

It's not the Carpenters without Karen. Without Karen, the title is the London Symphony, under the direction of Richard Carpenter. The London Symphony then gets the headline. With Karen's vocals it becomes the Carpenters with the London Symphony. I will have little interest in this project without Karen. Perhaps he will lift vocals from the songs sang on PBS in 1974. Their timing is so similar to the singles that those could be lifted as well to fit if the program was similar to that special, not to mention the best of a live concert he may have in his personal library. Here's to a wish in progress!

It's not the Carpenters without Karen. Without Karen, the title is the London Symphony, under the direction of Richard Carpenter. The London Symphony then gets the headline. With Karen's vocals it becomes the Carpenters with the London Symphony. I will have little interest in this project without Karen. Perhaps he will lift vocals from the songs sang on PBS in 1974. Their timing is so similar to the singles that those could be lifted as well to fit if the program was similar to that special, not to mention the best of a live concert he may have in his personal library. Here's to a wish in progress!
Richard is working with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra.

I've just had a thought...

Richard wouldn't release their studio recording of "Thank You For The Music" because it wasn't any different from ABBA's and that's just not what they do...

Well imagine now a new arrangement with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra with Karen's vocals and their backing vocals.

What does everyone think of this? It would make a nice album closing, Thank you for 50 years of music and memories.

We know that Nick Patrick and Don Reedman are the producers of the albums by Elvis, Aretha, Roy & Beach Boys so I thought I'd look them up and by looking on a website there was a picture of Nick Patrick... It looks like the man stood next to Richard posted earlier on this thread with Richard after the "overture" video, listening to playback. Does someone else want to look to confirm, I can't be certain but it does look like Nick Patrick stood next to him on the left.

We know that Nick Patrick and Don Reedman are the producers of the albums by Elvis, Aretha, Roy & Beach Boys so I thought I'd look them up and by looking on a website there was a picture of Nick Patrick... It looks like the man stood next to Richard posted earlier on this thread with Richard after the "overture" video, listening to playback. Does someone else want to look to confirm, I can't be certain but it does look like Nick Patrick stood next to him on the left.

What a superb bit of detective work. I think you're right. I came across this picture of him on Twitter (sitting in the very same control booth as Richard) and it was posted by a man called Dominic Ferris (Dominic Ferris Music (@DominicFerris) ...who turns out to be the piano player with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra :D

Dh0VYSjXkAEsCji.jpg

A576C80F-310A-42D6-A3E1-ECD352389E02_zpse1yze6ju.jpg

Knowing how meticulous Richard is with being involved, we have a long way to go. I wouldn’t think this project would be done before May 2019. Summer/Fall release? It’s so exciting knowing we will have something new next year and this project is going to be very cool if in deed Karen’s vocals are being used.

Knowing how meticulous Richard is with being involved, we have a long way to go. I wouldn’t think this project would be done before May 2019. Summer/Fall release?

If this is the ambitious full-vocal project we think it is, I think he’ll be aiming for the 50th Anniversary with this and badge it as a commemorative release - I’d say we’ll get it either at Christmas (in time for that lucrative market) or April 2019.

I’m predicting pre-orders go up in Feb 2019.

Wouldn’t it take at least 2 months for all the various media to be pressed such as artwork, Cd & vinyl pressings?

Karens VOCALS on the project?

You should go back a few pages, we’ve been discussing previous Royal Philharmonic Orchestra albums featuring the original vocals of Elvis, Aretha Franklin and Roy Orbison sat on top of newly orchestrated backing tracks. The results are often stunning. Given the people who look like they’re involved with this project, we think Richard is up to something similar.

I read all of it, but I thought I missed if someone was actually able to confirm her vocals (as opposed to "goals" as I previously mistyped).

It is amazing how much fans still crave Karen's voice after all these years. Really reminds you that we are more than lucky to have as many recordings as we do. So many songs that she should have sung.

This project is so exciting. Making the old new again. Amazing what an influence Karen and Richard have had on music. It is a feast to see Richard back in his element.

Yes GREAT detective work! I was on the verge of deciding for myself that this was very likely an orchestral album, sans vocals. For one thing, I didn't (and still don't) understand why Richard or someone wouldn't have mentioned this, one way or the other.

But this news is a very positive sign that we'll indeed get to gear Karen's amazing voice, 50 years later, backed by one of the best Orchestra's in the world, conducted by Richard himself. Wow!

Here’s a fascinating insight into what it’s like to be involved in these RPO albums. This is the studio environment during the recording of Roy Orbison’s Pretty Woman which features his sons on the newly recorded rhythm track.

RPO producer Nick Patrick and Don Reedman also feature. Imagine if we get a video like this for the new album?

P.S. The opening three notes of this song that you see the baby pluck on the guitar are real. The guitar was plugged in when he did it and they kept it on the song. From the documentary:

“The kid is so talented at keeping time and clapping, that we need to have him on the record. And so Papa Roy [Roy Orbison’s grown up son] gets a guitar and puts it on the floor. The guitar is perfectly tuned and baby Roy strums the guitar...and it’s the first thing that you hear on Oh Pretty Woman. So we have these three generations of Roy Orbison men and you have all three Roys on this recording and it’s a surreal feeling”.

Last edited:
You guys are so great on this forum!
Who needs experts when you put a group of fans heads together? haha :D

I wanted to put out the possibility of an instrumental just to be sure.
If it's true that we have a Nick Patrick and/or Don Reedman, then our chances for KC vocals have improved a great deal. :b-elvis:

Mind you, there's probably other methods of getting Karen's vocals as noted on this page.
The original master tracks would get the best results of course. That's still the mystery here.

I don't know for sure, but any other type of extraction (E.g. off the SACD) wouldn't get you the highest quality.
Having said that we know "Superstar" went through extensive remixing. The challenge with that one is Karen's vocals had a lot of bleed through from the drum track.
Whatever magic they're using... let's hope it works, and indeed that KC's vocals are being used.

There's only one way we're going to find out... that's 8 months from now.

Having said that we know "Superstar" went through extensive remixing. The challenge with that one is Karen's vocals had a lot of bleed through from the drum track.

That shouldn’t really be a problem. The bleed through is so faint that it would be covered anyway if there was a new backing track.

I’ll just go ahead and say it. If Karen’s vocals are not used, I am totally disinterested. We already got PACC from Richard. I personally don’t need another showcase of his prowess by itself.

Of course, if you’re into that sort of thing, enjoy. I don’t rain on anyone’s orchestral parade. It’s just not for me if her voice isn’t on it.

Ed

I've just had a thought...

Richard wouldn't release their studio recording of "Thank You For The Music" because it wasn't any different from ABBA's and that's just not what they do...

He did go down that road though. “Man Smart” is a near exact copy of Robert Palmer’s recording.

Ed

Here’s a fascinating insight into what it’s like to be involved in these RPO albums. This is the studio environment during the recording of Roy Orbison’s Pretty Woman which features his sons on the newly recorded rhythm track.

RPO producer Nick Patrick and Don Reedman also feature. Imagine if we get a video like this for the new album?

P.S. The opening three notes of this song that you see the baby pluck on the guitar are real. The guitar was plugged in when he did it and they kept it on the song. From the documentary:

“The kid is so talented at keeping time and clapping, that we need to have him on the record. And so Papa Roy [Roy Orbison’s grown up son] gets a guitar and puts it on the floor. The guitar is perfectly tuned and baby Roy strums the guitar...and it’s the first thing that you hear on Oh Pretty Woman. So we have these three generations of Roy Orbison men and you have all three Roys on this recording and it’s a surreal feeling”.

Great Post! Orbison's vocal was front and center and sounded magnificent with the backing of the RPO. Pumped additional life into an already classic song. Imagine the same treatment given to Karen's God-given gift. I'm getting a very good feeling about this project! Very exciting times for Carpenters fans :).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom