📣 News Carpenters With The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great Post! Orbison's vocal was front and center and sounded magnificent with the backing of the RPO. Pumped additional life into an already classic song. Imagine the same treatment given to Karen's God-given gift. I'm getting a very good feeling about this project! Very exciting times for Carpenters fans :).

If this turns out to be the project we’re all hoping for, I can easily see the new Carpenters selections replacing the originals on my regular playlist. The results of these Royal Philharmonic versions are absolutely beautiful, just another level.

This thread started on July 31 and it's already at 14 pages. Will it set a record for most pages in a single thread on this forum?! What is the record??? Harry? :laugh:

Good Question... But has there ever been a new release as big as this during the life of this forum?

Hey... Harry & co, are you ready to be adding a new album and song mixes to the reading resource ? :laugh:

The Carpenter kidlets just posted on Instagram that it’s their last day in London. I wonder if that means Richard’s work here is done as well?

The Carpenter kidlets just posted on Instagram that it’s their last day in London. I wonder if that means Richard’s work here is done as well?

Just about to post that too, Surely the album can't be done. I was thinking a week ago that maybe his family would be going home before him. They leave and he stays?

Just about to post that too, Surely the album can't be done. I was thinking a week ago that maybe his family would be going home before him. They leave and he stays?

The work on the album has probably only just begun. He was only here to record the orchestra which can be done within days, as he came prepared with the arrangements already done. The rest of the recording process can be done back in LA. I never thought he’d be here more than a week or so.

The work on the album has probably only just begun. He was only here to record the orchestra which can be done within days, as he came prepared with the arrangements already done. The rest of the recording process can be done back in LA. I never thought he’d be here more than a week or so.
The orchestra would have received Richard's arrangements in advance of his arrival in London, so that they could be thoroughly rehearsed before the recording session began. The RPO members are so professional, and experienced in the studio, that it wouldn't have taken long to record their parts.

I bought the Roy Orbison & Royal Philharmonic Orchestra CD a while ago and was underwhelmed. I trust Richard to do a brilliant job with whatever he's doing, though, (as long as he doesn't return to his 80s synthesiser period), so I'm sure that whatever he turns out will be excellent.

I can't remember what I didn't particularly like about the Roy Orbison album. I haven't heard it for a while.

I bought the special edition orchestrated version of Freddie Mercury's 'Barcelona' CD recently. I've only had time to listen to a few tracks so far but have enjoyed what I've heard. (I already had the original version).

It's hard to imagine stripped-back versions of Carpenters recordings with new orchestral backings after hearing the originals for all these years, but there's potential for beautiful sounds to be created, as the Carpenters' vocal sound has always been blended with instruments of the orchestra, their harmonies aren't far removed from the choral structure of some classical music and the warmth, occasional fragility and emotional quality of Karen's vocals would be well-accentuated by sensitive orchestral arrangements.

'Thankyou For the Music' could sound great, if the studio version had a completed vocal that was up to par. Also, seeing as this album wouldn't be a straight reproduction of original recordings, there could be the opportunity to edit and splice those unreleased recordings where there are glitches in the vocals and place phrases of those vocals, rather than the complete original takes, in orchestral settings.

I think the project is more likely to include the big hits, though, (with maybe a few lesser-known songs or album tracks).

Like Karen, they often nail it in one go :)
I Agree. This kind of stuff is simple to them. They just have to follow a little instruction for mood and influence then it’s done. The recording engineers probably already have the room tooled for recording.

I trust Richard to do a brilliant job with whatever he's doing, though, (as long as he doesn't return to his 80s synthesiser period)

He left that 80s synth behind years ago. That's not what these RPO albums are about.

I can't remember what I didn't particularly like about the Roy Orbison album. I haven't heard it for a while.

I thought it was amazing, it breathed new life into the original songs that I'd taken for granted. And there were a few hidden gems included on there. That's what I'm hoping for this album.

I bought the special edition orchestrated version of Freddie Mercury's 'Barcelona' CD recently. I've only had time to listen to a few tracks so far but have enjoyed what I've heard. (I already had the original version).

The 2012 re-orchestrated version was miles better than the original 1987 album. Jim Beach, Queen's Manager, mentioned in an interview that the finished result was the album Freddie would have wanted to make - with full 80-piece orchestra instead of with keyboards - "had he had the balls to do it at the time".

When that album came out, they did a really, really cool thing and released it as a double album. One CD was the original album with the beautiful new orchestration and the other was the same again, but without any vocals at all. This meant you could hear the instrumental tracks with the new FILMharmonic Orchestra orchestration in all its glory.

There's one song on that Barcelona album that I've always adored: How Can I Go On. As soon as I heard the deluxe set in late 2012, with its instrumental bonus tracks, I immediately pictured in my head an alternate version of this song....one that would combine the gorgeous instrumental sections with the original track to make it longer and really showcase the new live orchestra. The below was my own mix. I extended the intro, lifted out Monserrat's vocal part completely and replaced it with an orchestral second verse so it sounded like a Freddie solo track, with a few vocal punch-ins along the way to make it sound seamless.

Last edited:
I’d love to hear ‘Ordinary Fool’ in a stripped back arrangement. This album is going to be awesome! Loved the Roy Orbison and Beach Boys albums from this series. Still need to check out the Elvis sets.
I wonder if there’s any chance at all for Richard to produce an SACD of this album. Just imagine how incredible that would sound!

The Freddie Mercury Barcelona album, which was born from the same concept as these Royal Philharmonic Orchestra albums, has a very interesting history. It's really moving to read this, especially considering that both Freddie and Karen are gone and this kind of technology would have been such a buzz for them. For anyone wondering how these orchestral albums take shape, this might be an interesting read.

This (redacted) account is from the QueenOnline Message Board. I find it fascinating:

"Mercury recorded his original album almost entirely on keyboards. This 2012 special edition replaces Mercury and co-writer and producer Mike Moran [producer]'s synthesized arrangements with a full symphonic orchestral score, performed by the eighty piece FILMharmonic Orchestra.

Called on to transcribe and re-orchestrate the Mercury and Montserrat Caballé tracks, which featured on the original album, was arranger and music director Stuart Morley whose connection with Queen and Mercury lie in his MD role of the band’s hit musical
We Will Rock You. Morley set about creating a new score by “basically listening to the album over and over in short sections and noting down the harmonic structure, lead orchestral lines and instrumental voicings along with the vocal lines. I then proceeded to expand into making a full orchestral score (with a 2B pencil, ruler and erases –the old fashioned way) working at the piano and constantly referring back to the original recordings to make sure the work I was doing remained faithful to Freddie and Mike Moran’s original intentions.”

After months at the pencil and eraser, Morley arrived at the first day of recording in Prague. “I remember feeling a mixture of nerves and excitement when I made the short walk from the hotel to the studio. Hearing just over 80 people tune up before striking the first notes when the conductor gives their first downbeat is always slightly nerve racking for an arranger, but these feeling were amplified ten-fold because of my knowledge, respect and admiration of the original album and its creators."

“I'll never forget the wave of emotion that hit me later on that day when I was handed the headphones while we were recording and I felt the sheer power of the orchestra giving it their all, with Freddie and Montserrat soaring over the top of it. That was the moment I knew that we were a part of something really special.”

In addition to the orchestral score performed by the Prague FILMharmonic Orchestra, other live instruments have been added for the first time. Rufus Taylor, Queen band member Roger Taylor’s son, has replaced the drum machines on ‘The Golden Boy’ and ‘How Can Go On’ with live percussion. The latter song also boasts a new violin solo from classical violinist David Garrett joining Queen’s John Deacon’s original bass part.

‘Barcelona - The Special Edition’ is finally the album it should have been. The world will undoubtedly rediscover and fall in love with it all over again. The only downside is that the visionary behind this masterpiece is sadly not around to hear it too".

QueenOnline Message Board • View topic - PRESS RELEASE: BARCELONA - SPECIAL EDITION

Last edited:
There's one song on that Barcelona album that I've always adored: How Can I Go On. As soon as I heard the deluxe set in late 2012, with its instrumental bonus tracks, I immediately pictured in my head an alternate version of this song....one that would combine the gorgeous instrumental sections with the original track to make it longer and really showcase the new live orchestra. The below was my own mix. I extended the intro, lifted out Monserrat's vocal part completely and replaced it with an orchestral second verse so it sounded like a Freddie solo track, with a few vocal punch-ins along the way to make it sound seamless.

:bow: Stephen, your mix is brilliant! :bowdown2:

Some of you may be aware of The Zombies, who had number one hits in the USA with 'She's Not There' and 'Time of the Season'. After the group disbanded the first time around, lead singer Colin Blunstone and his arrangers / producers did some interesting things with orchestral and choral groups. I post this here because Colin Blunstone's is an example of a beautiful, expressive voice that works well in choral and orchestral settings.

The first clip is from Colin Blunstone's album, 'Journey'. The first song is almost completely a capella and features The King's Singers, (ex- or then-current choristers of King's College Choir, Cambridge), as background. The King's Singers were brilliantly used throughout 'Journey'. The first song on the clip below, 'Beginning', segues into a second, non-a capella song. Unfortunately, some of the vocal work at the beginning of 'Beginning' has been left off by whoever made this clip.

The second clip features accompaniment by a string quintet, (and other members of an orchestra), on a song called 'Smoky Day'. Colin Blunstone's gentle vocals are contrasted with the discordant, jagged arrangement of the quintet. The album from which 'Smoky Day' came was called 'One Year' and featured the string quintet throughout.

There are probably better examples from the two albums. I'm sure an orchestral Carpenters album would also have great impact.

Last edited:
we know "Superstar" went through extensive remixing. The challenge with that one is Karen's vocals had a lot of bleed through from the drum track.
That shouldn’t really be a problem. The bleed through is so faint that it would be covered anyway if there was a new backing track.

My point was no matter what the issue there's a way to troubleshoot it. :)

With enough time and money (which they have) there's a way to get KC with the RPO.

Anyways, we know it'll have something to the effect of this to start:
Overture (We've only just begun/Yesterday Once More/Sing/Goodbye to Love...)

It's amazing to think how many times Richard has committed to delivering us music with better quality.

It's amazing to think how many times Richard has committed to delivering us music with better quality.
I've been a huge fan of nearly all the remixes that have been done by Richard. If this project turns out to be a new interpretation of Carpenters including vocals and not purely instrumental, I think it will appeal more to fans like myself as opposed to the purists who will not enjoy original recordings being altered.

I am quite sure that this project will be inclusive of Karen's and Richard's vocals and possibly with newly added voices to match the larger scale of the new arrangements. These RPO projects are done with the intent of having a #1 UK best seller result. An instrumental album would not achieve this. This will most likely include not just new instrumental overdubs, but some of the original elements from the original multitracks mixed in because those elements work as familiar hooks and reminders of the original songs. I bet that the original sliding guitar on "Top Of The World" will be there as will be Tony Peluso's guitar solo on "Goodbye To Love."

Besides hoping for a release of Karen's vocal performances set to stripped down arrangements, this project is a godsend for all of us who love the Carpenters' music. I am glad that Richard is not just curating this but creating it as well.

Colin and the rest of the kids have arrived back in LA but no word on whether or not Richard has. Could he really be finished recording the Orchestra in just 1 week. I have a feeling that we'll be getting an update today or tomorrow

i expect the boston pops video from youtube is a fair indication of the rpo project. keep in mind, this was created in 1974, so there is a lot of material not represented.

I hope this new album has a more current and contemporary sound and it doesn’t turn out to be Lawrence Welk-ish older audience sound. The opening we heard on video so far sounds exactly like opening of The Boston Pops Orchestra Conducted By Arthur Fielder. While it’s nice, I had hoped for a newer sound that we had not heard before as an Overture.

I hope this new album has a more current and contemporary sound and it doesn’t turn out to be Lawrence Welk-ish older audience sound. The opening we heard on video so far sounds exactly like opening of The Boston Pops Orchestra Conducted By Arthur Fielder. While it’s nice, I had hoped for a newer sound that we had not heard before as an Overture.

Just to be sure, that opening was arranged and orchestrated entirely by Peter Knight, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom