📣 News Carpenters With The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you so much for the information John!! Greatly appreciated. :)

I'll take a stab at a track listing.

1. Overture
2. Yesterday Once More
3. Ticket to Ride ('73 vocal)
4. Rainydays and Mondays
5. Superstar
6. For all we Know
7. Close to you
8. We've only just begun
9. Top of the world
10. Hurting Each Other
11. Goodbye to Love
12. Mister Postman
13. I need to be in love
14. I just fall in love again
15. I believe you
16. Those good old dreams
17. Touch me when we're dancing

Hmmm I'm not sure about the last two. I'd suspect there would be representation from each album.
Those are my guesses based on what I'm seeing.
I'd go with an album track, oldie or standard song to fill it out.
Something like these:

Can't smile without you
When I fall in love
Make believe its your first time (with newly mixed choir) ?
One more time (<--- this would be very nice, powerful with new strings on it)

Karen was a crooner so "When I fall in love" would seem like a nice fit for a RPO album.
Songs like "A song for you" or "Maybe it you" I can't hear new orchestration for it.
Or wait you know what would be interesting is if "A song for you" had the opening vocals from Music, Music, Music and then transitioned into the original '72 vocal that would switch it up.
...I hope we get to hear alternative takes. :oops:
But we'll find out!
"A song for you" or "I just fall in love again" would make a lovely titles, imo. :D

*edit* I forgot about Merry Christmas Darling.
But, this is fantastic! Wonderful addition to the collection! Whatever the track-listing is honestly.

Your list is very close. None of them are wrong! :)

Add your edit of the "forgot about" and you're even closer.

You might guess the missing one by knowing Richard wrote what we call "F Minor Intro" which leads into...well, if it's not Superstar, it's the other one. lol...

Oh, yeah...there's one more, too.

Of course, I'm not privy to the song order on the final album.

Last edited:

I’m loving the teasers and intrigue!

Wow. So that means the following are on the track list

I Just Fall In Love Again
I Believe You
Those Good Old Dreams
Merry Christmas Darling

The last one now makes complete sense given that this is a December release.

Last edited:
Wow. So that means the following are on the track list

I Believe You
Those Good Old Dreams
Merry Christmas Darling

The last one now makes complete sense given that this is a December release.

Thrilled about "I Just Fall In Love Again"! I've long felt that it could use a remix and it's never gotten one. It would work so well. :violin: Exciting!

You might guess the missing one by knowing Richard wrote what we call "F Minor Intro" which leads into...well, if it's not Superstar, it's the other one. lol...

Oh, yeah...there's one more, too.

Of course, I'm not privy to the song order on the final album.

Stop teasing us John ! It's mean !:laugh:

So let's get this straight, (I'm not good at riddles)

These songs ARE on it?

Yesterday Once More
Ticket To Ride
Superstar
Rainy Days And Mondays
For All We Know
We've Only Just Begun
Please Mr. Postman
Close To You
Top Of The World
Hurting Each Other
I Need To Be In Love
I Believe You
Those Good Old Dreams
Touch Me When We're Dancing
Merry Christmas Darling
Goodbye To Love

This has got me stumped. What other song begins in F Minor :rolleyes:

Edit: This Masquerade does!

So could that mean the tracklist is as follows (in no particular order)?

Yesterday Once More
Ticket To Ride
Superstar
Rainy Days And Mondays
For All We Know
We've Only Just Begun
Please Mr. Postman
Close To You
Top Of The World
Hurting Each Other
I Need To Be In Love
I Believe You
Those Good Old Dreams
Merry Christmas Darling
Goodbye To Love
This Masquerade
A Song For You

Totally agree with @newvillefan and @Carpe diem that "A Song for You" would be the perfect closer. Wonder what they would do - how they would orchestrate - around that arm-hair raising beautiful Sax solo...

"Wonder what they would do - how they would orchestrate - around that arm-hair raising beautiful Sax solo..."

Hopefully, just to add a fine polish on what's already there.

So many great arrangements to these songs.

I'm a little bummed that it appears This Masquerade didn't make it, but on the other hand, I Just Fall In Love Again has me estatic!

Last edited:
I'm so thrilled that "I Believe You" is on this album ! It's one of my favourites but it wasn't originally arranged by Richard was it? So I'm presuming it'll have a new arrangement ! It might sound different, it might even get the I Believe You haters to love it. :laugh:

This has got me stumped. What other song begins in F Minor :rolleyes:

Edit: This Masquerade does!

So could that mean the tracklist is as follows (in no particular order)?

Yesterday Once More
Ticket To Ride
Superstar
Rainy Days And Mondays
For All We Know
We've Only Just Begun
Please Mr. Postman
Close To You
Top Of The World
Hurting Each Other
I Need To Be In Love
I Believe You
Those Good Old Dreams
Merry Christmas Darling
Goodbye To Love
This Masquerade
A Song For You

You're getting very warm! But "A Song For You" is not included. I apologize if I let that slip through.

So there's just one more, baby, and you'll be golden!

@John Eidsvoog please please please please please please give us a clue ( did I say "Please" ? :wink: )

And do these sound a lot different from the originals, I'm so excited, being a young teenage Carpenters fan, this is the first "new" release since I was one year old ! ("As Time Goes By" in 2001)

So there's just one more, baby, and you'll be golden!

I haven’t seen any confirmation that Let Me Be The One was not on the final tracklist. It looks as though the elusive missing track is an album track, as all of the other singles have been discounted as far as I can tell. Which means it could be anything :laugh:

Edit: What about Don’t Cry For Me Argentina? The RPO would have a field day with that one.

Last edited:
Personally, Christmastime release or not, I'm disappointed "Merry Christmas, Darling" is included; it lessens the chances of playing the CD year round. (The same thing "From The Top" suffered from for a lot of us.)

I think it's you that might have the answer. :)

At first I thought it could be Your Baby Doesn’t Love You Any More, for the dramatic sweep of the choruses which would lend themselves well to the RPO. But Baby It’s You is a Bacharach track which adds credence and, crucially, features the signature Carpenters overdubbed vocal sound with similar drama in its choruses.

Last edited:
@John Eidsvoog please please please please please please give us a clue ( did I say "Please" ? :wink: )

And do these sound a lot different from the originals, I'm so excited, being a young teenage Carpenters fan, this is the first "new" release since I was one year old ! ("As Time Goes By" in 2001)

There're not a lot of differences in content. The main differences are enhanced (more movement, thicker) string parts, some new endings, and several transitions linking songs and extended intros. Also, the sound should be much better, using a larger orchestra and modern recording techniques.

There're not a lot of differences in content. The main differences are enhanced (more movement, thicker) string parts, some new endings, and several transitions linking songs and extended intros. Also, the sound should be much better, using a larger orchestra and modern recording techniques.

Can't wait !
So is the last track "Your Baby Doesn't Love You Anymore" ?

This is my guess for track listing and the order:

1. Overture
2. Yesterday Once More
3. We've Only Just Begun
4. Top of the World
5. Ticket to Ride
6. This Masquerade
7. Superstar
8. Rainy Days and Mondays
9. Goodbye to Love
10. I Just Fall in Love Again
11. I Believe You
12. For All We Know
13. Touch Me When We're Dancing
14. Please Mr. Postman
15. Hurting Each Other
16. I Need to Be in Love
17. Baby It's You
18. Those Good Old Dreams
19. Close to You
20. Merry Christmas Darling

Last edited:
There're not a lot of differences in content. The main differences are enhanced (more movement, thicker) string parts, some new endings, and several transitions linking songs and extended intros.

@John Eidsvoog I take it that means the original rhythm tracks such as drums, piano, bass and guitar have been left intact as per the original album versions (or in some cases the later 1980s and 1990s remixes)?

Last edited:
Thankyou for the Music would be very fitting for a 50th release I reckon. We are all thankful for “Carpenters Music”

At first I thought it could be Your Baby Doesn’t Love You Any More, for the dramatic sweep of the choruses which would lend themselves well to the RPO. But Baby It’s You is a Bacharach track which adds credence and, crucially, features the signatures Carpenters overdubbed vocals with similar drama in its choruses.

On a side note, my wife, Julie, and I also do the music preparation for Burt Bacharach.

47 years ago (1971), Julie taught high school music and had a choir. The Carpenters were prominent on the airwaves so I wrote out some arrangements for her choir, including "Close To You". I wouldn't have imagined in my wildest dreams that later in life I'd be working for both of these artists.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom