1. A&M Corner can now be found on Instagram! Follow us on our new account at @a.m.corner .
    You may also follow us on Twitter: @amcorner.
  2. We have received word that UMe is aware of the problem with the Carpenters vinyl releases, both the box sets and the individual LPs, and has offered a solution. To receive a replacement, send a proof of purchase to UMGCustomerSupport@umusic.com. UMe prefers email, but those who prefer phone contact may call 1-800-288-5942 to speak to Customer Support.

News Carpenters With The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra

Discussion in 'A Song For You: The Carpenters Forum' started by Simon KC1950, Jul 31, 2018.

1. John Adam

John Adam "waitin' for the music"

Yup, post #724 sounds like the "real deal." OMG! First, this performance is one of Karen's finest (Dec. 1978) vocal interpretations, just her crystal clear voice, no "O.K. Chorale," no applause, and the symphony orchestra as the ambiance. This is the perfect gift to the fans and the world.........Now I am truly excited!

2. no1kandrfan

no1kandrfan Active Member

I love this live version, and would be thrilled with other songs using alternate / live vocals. We have countless remixes of the hits, and Richard's productions were flawless, but it would be wonderful to hear something different.

3. John Adam

Yup totally agree with what you hear. :agree:

4. newvillefan

newvillefan Well-Known Member

That’s another thing that makes me think this has been done from a direct multi-track recording. The studio applause isn’t locked in with the music all one one track as is the case with some of the songs from their earlier career. It sounds pristine.

John Adam likes this.
  5. John Adam

About Karen Carpenter performing on "Bruce Forsyth’s Big Night," she did three Carpenters songs, right? Please Mr. Postman, Merry Christmas Darling, and I Need To Be In Love. Is it possible all of these versions were recorded live in the studio (in California) on multi-tracks, and the band mimed and Karen lip-synced these songs in her usual perfect way? It would make a lot of sense. And explain why this track is adaptable to use in the new album.

no1kandrfan and Simon KC1950 like this.
  6. So has anyone listened to the version of Thank you for the music on the same youtube channel.Seems a mix of tv and other over music recording.Demo for possible recording in terms of piano at the start and end?.New to me but just curious about it.I have repeated I need to be in love about twenty times now.:)

7. I always thought the songs were live vocal by Karen but Richards stand in is clearly not playing the piano,just can't remember which song shows the keys a bit closer.Happy memories of watching Bruces big night on tv that Christmas.The Brucie at the end of Merry Christmas darling seems live as does their Christmas medley on the same show.

Simon KC1950 and John Adam like this.
  8. newvillefan

I’ve never considered that before but it’s definitely a possibility. Karen was the master of miming when it came to performing to playback. And let’s not forget there was also an orchestra audible on this song as it was performed on the show. I’ve always wondered how it could sound so perfect. Maybe that’s the reason why.

Let’s also not forget that Please Mr Postman and Merry Christmas Darling are also slated for inclusion on the album...

9. John Adam

Maybe it was a mix of live and pre-recorded, but clean studio multi-tracks exist? :)

10. Simon KC1950

Simon KC1950 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

She did the Christmas medley too but she did it as a duet with Bruce. It's a Shane he's no longer wuth us. He passed away last year - a true British National Treasure.

John Adam likes this.
  11. Simon KC1950

Who knows, maybe we'll finally get to hear the outtake vocal leads to "Close To You"

12. John Adam

Yup my thoughts also.
    That's why I brought this up. It makes for some interesting conversation, and food for thought! :cool:

newvillefan and Kencarpenterfan like this.
  13. Simon KC1950

Another little connection to Karen & Bruce is that he was a huge entertainer on the Palladium... His ashes are actually laid to rest under the stage of the Palladium

no1kandrfan likes this.
  14. John Adam

At this point, WHY NOT! Maybe some things have been held back (saved?) for this occasion. We haven't heard a lot of variations of the songs we know and love. Maybe it was time to unlock the vaults!

15. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Well-Known Member

Maybe Richard is trying to give the tracks a sense of a live concert feel, as if Karen & Richard were actually performing live with RPO.

John Adam likes this.
  16. This is cleverly done; they have made, essentially, a 'three-track' stereo recording. I.E. the centre is unchanged from the original show's audio, whilst additional instrumentation is panned to the far left and far right - the other two 'tracks'. A technique used since the '50s to give a good 'three-dimensional' stereo image; this album from Judy Garland is a good example.

Here, to help illustrate:[​IMG]

Basically it's the same now with most vocals and bass mixed to the centre whilst drums/strings/synths are on the outer edges of the soundstage.
    It's very likely a fan-made remix, albeit one of the best ones out there. Taking out the hard-panned parts leaves the original show's audio.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
    Chris likes this.
  17. ars nova

ars nova Active Member

18. Rick-An Ordinary Fool

Rick-An Ordinary Fool Well-Known Member

FL
    I’m kinda upset at myself for listening to this and reading the post announcing this clip now that I’ve had time to think about it. It’s for this very reason that I probably will remove myself from this thread. If this is true I feel like a huge surprise was just spoiled for me.

I am sorta weird about new Carpenters releases in that I want the experience to be special and a time reserved that I can sit back and take it all in on my own time. I hate that of all songs it was this one that spoiled it for me. If this is true I won’t get that new feeling back again...so for that...I’m officially off this thread until I’ve got this in my hands and have fulfilled my Carpenters listening experience of this RPO release.

Jamesj75 and John Adam like this.
  19. Toolman

Toolman Simple Man, Simple Dream

Nice. This is exactly what I was hoping the project would be. Very promising.

Actorman likes this.
  20. Color me skeptical.

Geographer and John Adam like this.
  21. aaflyer98

aaflyer98 Well-Known Member

Wow! Welcome to a new Carpenters release era! Internet, leaks, all part of the excitement! It’s a whole new ballgame for us fans who would wait for the newsletter and then getting the first single on the day it was released....or perhaps hearing it on radio for the first time! I welcome the changes and it’s exciting! Different vocals! Awesome! Bring it on!

Jeff and no1kandrfan like this.
  22. John Adam

I've been waiting for you to chime in and give us your valued opinion. Harry, are you telling us that everything on the Internet is not genuine and true? :) You could very well be right. But you know it fuels our imaginations, and if the recording is a fake, which is what I assume you are talking about, we'll get over it! But I remain hopeful that it is for real.

In a world where we are used to getting whatever we want instantly, this is now most people's norm. However we shouldn't be leaking recordings. It spoils the surprise, among other ethical reasons. I must be the world's "oldest" 41 year old. I still enjoy surprises!

23. no1kandrfan

no1kandrfan Active Member

INTBIL is an incredible song, Karen's reading is intimate yet powerful, but it's one I ususllyk it
    From your lips, to God's ears.

Jeff likes this.
  24. newvillefan

Don’t forget there’s absolutely no proof yet it’s even genuine.

John Adam likes this.
  25. John Adam

Yeah. Don't go!
    Carpenters fans need to be here to embrace the joy of an impending new release. Together.........

Don Malcolm and Jeff like this.