đź“Ł News Carpenters With The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra

Status
Not open for further replies.
If this is true I feel like a huge surprise was just spoiled for me... I am sorta weird about new Carpenters releases in that I want the experience to be special and a time reserved that I can sit back and take it all in on my own time

Rick, I realize that you might not see my post right away, but I am so glad you made these points. I have felt the same way, particularly once the lineup of songs for this release was delineated weeks ago. In fact, I purposely avoided this thread once there was speculation, then confirmation, of the song lineup --- for a time. For me, it was enough to know that a new release was in the works. I admit that I was initially leery because I thought it would be strictly an instrumental release. So, thanks to this thread, I learned that we would indeed be hearing Karen's voice --- and that was music to my ears!

The days of hearing a new Carpenters' song on the radio and then going to the record store to buy it, or casually walking into a record store and stumbling on a new Carpenters' album, are long gone. It's a different world now with the Internet and social media, as others have eloquently pointed out. I should also indicate that I certainly appreciate the participation and contributions of @John Eidsvoog. How often do we hear directly from an insider, let alone someone working directly and contemporaneously with Richard? No matter how many details about this forthcoming release I stumble on here, I further and undoubtedly appreciate the shared enthusiasm about this new release.

Color me skeptical.

If that 2 minute clip is the real deal I'm bummed as I would wanted to use the studio recording of 'I Need To Be In Love' That song is in my top 3 favorites and I think it would sound better if the studio vocal was used.

If that 2 minute clip is the real deal I'm bummed as I would wanted to use the studio recording of 'I Need To Be In Love' That song is in my top 3 favorites and I think it would sound better if the studio vocal was used.

I understand, it's one of my top 3 favorites too! It is possible though this other recording from 1978 is a studio recording and it may not sound better than the original "Hush" master, but it will be something different. Think of "Make Believe" from her solo album without the choir in the room. This is the opportunity to hear Karen sing "Need" in a more intimate way. I don't think you'll end up being disappointed. :)

Well, John, thanks for sharing all that you did. It certainly was appreciated and made a lot of nerdy Carpenters fans happy. It was great having a real news outlet instead of the lame facebook posts that repost what everyone already knows.

I've been asked to not comment here about the RPO project, but I feel compelled to at least mention that the videos I listened to here of "I Need To Be In Love" did not match the score that was recorded in London.

So will the studio version of Karens vocals be used? I really appreciate you posting here. Any news on a release date?

Many Thanks

Scott

This type of situation has driven me nuts over the past few decades with the Carpenters music. Why all the secrecy? If this version, that we have all been listening to the past couple of days, is not real, shouldn't a certain someone just tell us !?! It amazes me how certain artists treat their fans at times. Why not just allow Mr. Eidsvoog to continue to educate us about the RPO project without ruining it for us. That can be done you know. Just advise us when something is not right so everyone is on the same page. Life is so short and there are many more important things in life. Sorry folks, it just drives me nuts.

I've been asked to not comment here about the RPO project, but I feel compelled to at least mention that the videos I listened to here of "I Need To Be In Love" did not match the score that was recorded in London.

Thank you @John Eidsvoog, we appreciate all that you have given so far in terms of input.

@Rick-An Ordinary Fool it’s safe to come back out now :)

So what are we thinking this will be classified as? Studio album or compilation.

At first I thought Compilation... But it's clear a lot more work is going into this compared to the average compilation, and considering that it's all new recordings (and potentially new vocals - John only said it was the "scores" that was were wrong)

I feel like all the work into this, it deserves the status of being a "studio album"

I was pretty sure that video was not official. All you have to do is listen to it with headphones. You'll hear Karen's voice vacillating between left and right. The orchestra is spread out too much and isn't quite right sounding to me. That's why I said I was skeptical.

@John Eidsvoog Thank you for what you did do to inform us! It's too easy to jump to conclusions, but it was fun while it lasted. :) Now the waiting game begins officially, as it should be. And the wise man at A&M Corner trusted his instinct and was right again!

Boy people go through a lot of effort to make fake things. They must get a lot of satisfaction from watching people's reactions. Now if they could put all that effort into doing something good for the world or their community!

Complaining already? Suffering through shattered expectations? I trust that Members who fit the shoe...you know who you are...are trying to perpetuate what exactly? You guys dont appear to realize that these repeated, repetitive displays of CarpenterS associated angst are woefully apparent to me. Objectively speaking. Oh yes, respectfully speaking. There are throngs of supporters who will review the musical prowess. However, this armchair critic stuff is negative. Broadcasting doubt and dismay on a CarpenterS forum no less doesn't not serve promotion or does it?
Silly question. I asked a silly question looking for a silly answer. I'm understanding afterall I am a giver. Just my nature.
Remember: not wishin' and hopin' for a new release ain't gonna get us a new release. It was this shadow that lingered throughout Karen and Richard's recording careers.
Fortunately the phenomenon that begat CarpenterS is relative today. Sales are consistent and profitable and generally well- received.
Howza 'bout leaving the hard-ass critic jazz in journalism class.

Whoever assembled this track did an outstanding job, but I can’t see this being on the album. But that vocal is just amazing either way. Karen knocked it out of the park! And you can see how proud she is of her performance at the end.

So I based my leave on Tony's post here that Randy Schmidt had confirmed the first video clip was in fact from the RPO sessions. When I listened to it, I personally thought something was off especially the orchestra in different parts didn't seen authentic or rhythmically correct. I blame myself because I'm the one that clicked to listen to it but afterwards that night I felt bad that I was surprised before the actual release. Then I'm tagged....it's confirmed from John E that this video did not match the score from the London session. So I feel a bit relieved although I do hope this live track is used on the final product but I'd be happy with the studio vocal either way.

Why all the secrecy? If this version, that we have all been listening to the past couple of days, is not real, shouldn't a certain someone just tell us !?!

It's possible since he was told to clam-up, he stopped reading this thread so as not to be tempted.

Artists might be closed-mouthed about their projects before they're released because they don't want to over-hype the expectations. Or maybe they're just weird that way. Who knows? But can you imagine if they released a track list ahead-of-time and then some certain track didn't work out after all, it would just unleash a fury of complaints about why that track was excluded or why the track-list was "inaccurate." Or any of a myriad of possibilities.

I'm on our local fair board, and since we're a small town we tend to book a lot of "classic" acts (mostly country), and even though some of these guys haven't had a hit in 20 years or more, you wouldn't BELIEVE how sensitive some of them are about what photo gets used, when information is released, and how they're promoted. You'd think they'd be happy enough just to get the work. Maybe Richard just doesn't want everyone to over-expect or over-analyze.

^^ It's not surprising that artists like to have control over how and when their work is presented. That's pretty typical, and IMO, understandable.

In response to the many speculations of the IKINTBIL "video" and it's authenticity to the RPO project; well, I listened to it about five times. Stunning as it is (and it IS quite stunning), the "orchestral" part sounds very much "manufactured" through either a synthesizer or electronic keyboard reproducing the strings and horns; thus, my completely unprofessional assessment is that it is NOT authentic, but a work of love by someone else. Again, Karen's performance here is hauntingly beautiful. It would be cool if this take was included on the RPO, but the video here is just fine. I will enjoy it for many years to come.

IMO, the best news is that Richard is clearly having an incredible amount of fun, pulling together a timely and most welcome reminder of the lasting beauty of the Carpenters' singular sound, in a format that will showcase Karen in a way that can only reinforce what we all know already: she was the best...then, now, and forever! The smile on Richard's face these days looks 100% unforced and almost beatific--and I predict we'll all have our own version of it just as soon as this labor of love is in our hot little hands!!

Stunning as it is (and it IS quite stunning), the "orchestral" part sounds very much "manufactured" through either a synthesizer or electronic keyboard reproducing the strings and horns; thus, my completely unprofessional assessment is that it is NOT authentic, but a work of love by someone else.

The question is how did the person who posted this video get hold of the audio without the audience applause at the end?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom