đź“Ł News Carpenters With The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find it a little strange that Please Mr Postman is to be a Japan exclusive track when it was voted the nations favourite Carpenters song here in the UK.Richard even comments about it on the nations favourite tv special.Great for collectors to find the new variations but odd to me that it's not featured on the UK release.

That's a good point, I hadn't connected the track back to its pole position in that UK countdown. Strange that it's being released in Japan only.

This is the problem with the idiotic way people "listen" to music these days. Downloads, streaming and even CDs have people cherry-picking tracks, when an album should be seen as a body of work and heard through in a complete way. Random tracks from an album like this RPO project don't work.

It's the way of the world. These things go in cycles. Back in the 50s, everything was singles-based. People bought 45s or at most EPs. Then in the 60s, the album took over as a dominant format alongside singles. Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass dominated the album charts, as did The Beatles, The Beach Boys and lots of soundtrack albums. Album lengths began to increase to longer and longer lengths in the CD era, and many felt that full albums that were that long just didn't hang together like the albums of old.

In the 2000s, when the Internet gave us the atmosphere to experience individual songs from these marathon albums, people gravitated toward downloading and/or purchasing individual songs. Unfortunately compression of those files left us with MP3 as a standardized format, one that is not in any way "audiophile". And the devices that people listen on are also not exactly the best. But we can look back at the folks back in the 60s listening to their little transistor radios, and it's not much of a jump to compare it to the same kind of listening to a song on your smart phone.

The slow resurgence of vinyl is starting to give the younger folks a taste of better-sounding recordings, and guess what - most vinyl these days is in the form of albums. Is the pendulum about to swing back to the album again?

As for these two tracks released as a digital single, I suppose we will ultimately refer to these as the single edits from the RPO album, since they will likely be at least a little different from their album versions.

It's the way of the world. These things go in cycles. Back in the 50s, everything was singles-based. People bought 45s or at most EPs. Then in the 60s, the album took over as a dominant format alongside singles. Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass dominated the album charts, as did The Beatles, The Beach Boys and lots of soundtrack albums. Album lengths began to increase to longer and longer lengths in the CD era, and many felt that full albums that were that long just didn't hang together like the albums of old.

In the 2000s, when the Internet gave us the atmosphere to experience individual songs from these marathon albums, people gravitated toward downloading and/or purchasing individual songs. Unfortunately compression of those files left us with MP3 as a standardized format, one that is not in any way "audiophile". And the devices that people listen on are also not exactly the best. But we can look back at the folks back in the 60s listening to their little transistor radios, and it's not much of a jump to compare it to the same kind of listening to a song on your smart phone.

The slow resurgence of vinyl is starting to give the younger folks a taste of better-sounding recordings, and guess what - most vinyl these days is in the form of albums. Is the pendulum about to swing back to the album again?

As for these two tracks released as a digital single, I suppose we will ultimately refer to these as the single edits from the RPO album, since they will likely be at least a little different from their album versions.

That's right Harry !
And as for the single mix ect you must be getting ready to make the page for the RPO on the resource?

It would be cool if inside the gatefold there were a couple of pages of new photos.

I've been wondering about what will be on the inside of the gatefold... The CD booklet will give us a clue. I hope Richard has written some notes about why he did this, what he did, his thoughts ect.

It's interesting how many of us don't want to be "surprised" by anything - which songs, how much have they been changed (or not changed), artwork, etc - and others (like me) actually enjoy the anticipation of waiting until I have the product in hand. For many of you who already own everything Carpenters in multiple formats, wanting more specifics makes sense to me. I do not own everything, let alone in multiple formats.

There's been some opinion expressed that if the tweaks and changes to these songs aren't sufficiently noticeable, fans might be disappointed. I think that applies mostly for the "super-fans" who have indelible, intricate memories of the songs. I agree with something @John Eidsvoog said; they were pretty much perfect already. Flourishes and subtlety was, in my view, the right way to go, and based upon what little I've heard, I love what Richard has done. The most noticeable thing to me is Karen's vocals; how in the world are they even better? But they sound so, to me. And I found it both interesting and revealing when Richard said in an interview that Karen's voice was the primary impetus for doing this; finding yet another way to pair her matchless vocals with music that frames her voice in a complimentary way.

That's a good point, I hadn't connected the track back to its pole position in that UK countdown. Strange that it's being released in Japan only.

another of my favorite artists, brian setzer, usually includes a bonus track on his Japanese releases. although in todays international marketplace it is easy enough acquire the titles, I do feel the japanese are the favored child.

There is a logic as to why Japanese releases get bonus tracks that don't appear on the releases in other territories.

Japanese CDs are subject to a sales tax in Japan that international CDs aren't subject to, which makes them more expensive for Japanese consumers than buying imports from the US or Europe. As such, there's been a tradition for many years now for including a bonus track or tracks to the Japanese CD to make it worth buying for the Japanese audience over simply buying an import copy. So they do get special treatment in one sense, but it's at a price!

I found it both interesting and revealing when Richard said in an interview that Karen's voice was the primary impetus for doing this; finding yet another way to pair her matchless vocals with music that frames her voice in a complimentary way

The best reason! :)
Still haven't broke down and listened. I want Dec. 7th to be a special day, not just a partly special day. But I respect the reasons and curiosity of those who have been listening to the unleashed tracks!

There is a logic as to why Japanese releases get bonus tracks that don't appear on the releases in other territories.

Japanese CDs are subject to a sales tax in Japan that international CDs aren't subject to, which makes them more expensive for Japanese consumers than buying imports from the US or Europe. As such, there's been a tradition for many years now for including a bonus track or tracks to the Japanese CD to make it worth buying for the Japanese audience over simply buying an import copy. So they do get special treatment in one sense, but it's at a price!

thanks for the input. I still feel that I sent to bed without dessert...……..baby.

I never knew that but always wondered why they got the special treatment. How interesting, thanks!

Meanwhile in the US, various retailers try to out-do one another with special deals with record and movie companies. Target is almost always in the forefront of these efforts, going way back to the early 90s and their special cassette single of Amy Grant's "Let The Season Take Wing" with the purchase of her HOME FOR CHRISTMAS.

When Borders was around, they got in the act when The Corrs released IN BLUE with a special edition that included three bonus tracks.

Another retailer that has done this is BEST BUY. They have been aggressive with special extra discs on DVD or Blu-ray sets, particularly with high-demand items like STAR WARS. Often they'll have special packaging or a bonus disc unavailable elsewhere.

This is the first time I can recall any Carpenters disc with a bonus track, either in Japan or the US.

I just listened to the new tracks through my lovely Beyerdynamic DT770's and the additions are rather subtle and dare I say almost underwhelming? :eek:

I am sure there will be more dynamic versions on the album.

A few of us have made similar comments on YOM & MCD. Did you hear tom tom drums (panned full left and right) on YOM and how loud they were? The mastering on these two songs is typical of today's loudness. However, I am very thankful for this release.

Engineer Al Schmitt on Winning 23 Grammys and Working With Frank Sinatra, Paul McCartney & Steely Dan
"11/5/2018 by Melinda Newman
What are you working on now?
"I just finished mixing 18 songs on the Carpenters [for Carpenters With the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, out Dec. 7].
It’s all the old [songs] with Karen and they added some different orchestrations in London and changed some of the drums and keyboard parts."
Source:
www.billboard.com/articles/business/8483138/al-schmitt-engineer-interview-grammys-frank-sinatra-paul-mccartney-steely-dan

Engineer Al Schmitt on Winning 23 Grammys and Working With Frank Sinatra, Paul McCartney & Steely Dan
"11/5/2018 by Melinda Newman
What are you working on now?
"I just finished mixing 18 songs on the Carpenters [for Carpenters With the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, out Dec. 7].
It’s all the old [songs] with Karen and they added some different orchestrations in London and changed some of the drums and keyboard parts."
Source:
www.billboard.com/articles/business/8483138/al-schmitt-engineer-interview-grammys-frank-sinatra-paul-mccartney-steely-dan

Thank you for the link to the article.

Al Scmitt is audio engineering royalty. He did these mixes? I am a little surprised. However, the final step in production is the mastering engineer. The decisions in mastering can greatly affect the quality of a mix.

I will be looking forward to the Hi-Res version of the album..

Last edited:
A few of us have made similar comments on YOM & MCD. Did you hear tom tom drums (panned full left and right) on YOM and how loud they were? The mastering on these two songs is typical of today's loudness. However, I am very thankful for this release.
You have to remember as well that with upto 99 tracks in Pro Tools, each and every drum on one drum kit could be miced and recorded separately, compared to the days where, at 8, 16 or 24 tracks, they might’ve only had a seperate kick drum channel and then all the others, such as the snare and Tom-toms might’ve been recorded on one track. Sure today there is a limit at 99 tracks, but with an 80 piece orchestra, there are still 19 tracks if each instrument were miced individually.

A few of us have made similar comments on YOM & MCD. Did you hear tom tom drums (panned full left and right) on YOM and how loud they were? The mastering on these two songs is typical of today's loudness.

This I have to agree with. Whilst the toms are intended to mimic the original KC drum tracks they replace, they are too intrusive. Yes they’re panned wider in stereo than we’ve heard but sometimes, as the old adage goes, less is more. The intricacy of Karen’s chops has been lost on this new version.

I really appreciate the drums on YOM being replaced with a stereo version, as much as I love the original drums played by Karen....... she was a brilliant drummer. Made In America had some amazing drumming, it was really in your face, I loved it.

I really appreciate the drums on YOM being replaced with a stereo version, as much as I love the original drums played by Karen

Didn’t a stereo version of Karen’s drum track exist already, at least on the remix, negating the need to replace it with another drummer? I know I’ve gone on about previous RPO projects having replaced drum parts, and to great effect in most cases, but with this particular track I just don’t think it should have been the case. Karen’s drumming on this track was immaculate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom