đź“Ł News Carpenters With The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe that "Hurting Each Other" will be included as originally listed. The fact that some sites aren't listing it is one of those cases of copy/paste that goes on on the Internet. One site gets something wrong and everyone copies it.

I've found from buying CDs from Target with bonus tracks that they tend to mirror what the Japan bonus track is. Therefore, I think there's a good chance the bonus track will be Please Mr. Postman.

Well I hope that doesn't happen as I pre-ordered the Japan CD and if it turns out that 'Please Mr. Postman' is the Target bonus track then I wasted my money getting the Japan CD.

I’m wondering if the bonus track will be released as an online download...and I wonder if Those Good Old Dreams will remain as elusive as the footage of the same song on The Merv Griffin Show :laugh:

Some random thoughts ahead of this release:

1. One track I am really looking forward to hearing is Rainy Days And Mondays. The song is so beautiful, I’m wondering if Richard has made any alterations to the existing arrangement.
2. I’m wondering how many of the tracks feature re-recorded drums.
3. Will the liner notes include details of who played on the new recordings and when they were done?
4. Will there be any new photos of Richard and Karen in the booklet?
5. Will there be any more video footage?

^^ Yes, Rainy Days and Mondays is always among my top 3 Carpenters songs (the top 3 seem to move around a bit over time :wink: ) and I'm really excited to hear that one.

I was also really pleased to hear that Hurting Each Other is indeed on the list - that would have been a big disappointment had it somehow been dropped.

Some random thoughts ahead of this release:

1. One track I am really looking forward to hearing is Rainy Days And Mondays. The song is so beautiful, I’m wondering if Richard has made any alterations to the existing arrangement.
3. Will the liner notes include details of who played on the new recordings and when they were done?
4. Will there be any new photos of Richard and Karen in the booklet?
5. Will there be any more video footage?
I would assume that if Richard re-recorded the drums in stereo for YOM, then he probably had all songs with mono drums re-recorded, plus if he had the YOM drums recorded where he could control each individual drum (each snare and tom was on its own track), then he may have redone the drums for all the tracks.

I was just listening to the RPO mix versus the 70/78 mix. One thing with MCD is that there is very little in the way of drums on the track. For both the RPO & 70/78 mix all I can hear over headphones is the rimstick and a drum brush hitting the hi-hat. Otherwise, it doesn’t even sound like there was bass drum (the bass guitar seemed to be handling the bass part just by itself—-although on the 92 remix I could hear the bass drum while the bass guitar seemed to have been mixed lower, so it wasn’t overpowering the drum ). And you don’t really get a stereo sound with those even when they are recorded in stereo. However it did sound like the rim stick might’ve been a lot clearer and had more dynamic range on the RPO than the 70/78 recording, so that might indicate that the drums were re-recorded in stereo.

But on the 70/78 version, when you listen to the piano, it is mono on the left, with the mono celesta on the right (on the 78 mix the celesta seems to have been moved more to the Center but it’s not stereo, it’s mono), and no movement across the sound stage of either. Really on the 70/78 recordings it is the vocals that are played with in stereo and go across the stereo sound stage, while the instruments are mono and are more or less assigned the left or right channel or the Center. Whereas the RPO mix has the piano, celesta and bass in stereo right from the get go and they are mixed all across the stereo soundstage. But even the piano, it doesn’t sound like the 1992 stereo recording of the DX-7; it’s a different sounding keyboard, and the opening notes aren’t as bright as the 92 DX-7.

To me it sounds like the only thing from the 70’s that has been reused for the RPO recording are the vocals, and even then it sounds like Richard May e recorded newer bug vocals.

Even YOM sounds like only the vocals are from the 70’s. But on both songs it sounds like Richard kept the “core” mix with the new instruments to have the old sound but then added flourishes like the flute in MCD.

Do you think the tracks on the 2 LP's are a give away to show which songs will ultimately have cold starts and cold ends.
From this list of LP tracks, it would appear that the following songs might have cold starts and cold endings (meaning no interludes)
Not that the song won't start with some orchestral movement but that there will be no bridge between songs.
CD's should be the same, right?

For All We Know (cold ending)
Touch Me When Were Dancing (cold start)
Merry Christmas Darling (cold ending)
Baby It's You (cold start)
Rainy Days and Mondays (cold ending)
Ticket To Ride (cold start)
We've Only Just Begun (cold ending)

What do you think?

A1. OVERTURE
A2. YESTERDAY ONCE MORE
A3. HURTING EACH OTHER
A4. I NEED TO BE IN LOVE
A5. FOR ALL WE KNOW

B1. TOUCH ME WHEN WE’RE DANCING
B2. I BELIEVE YOU
B3. I JUST FALL IN LOVE AGAIN
B4. MERRY CHRISTMAS DARLING

C1. BABY IT’S YOU
C2. (THEY LONG TO BE) CLOSE TO YOU
C3. THIS MASQUERADE
C4. SUPERSTAR
C5. RAINY DAYS AND MONDAYS

D1. TICKET TO RIDE
D2. GOODBYE TO LOVE
D3. TOP OF THE WORLD
D4. WE’VE ONLY JUST BEGUN

For All We Know (cold ending)
Touch Me When Were Dancing (cold start)

A5. FOR ALL WE KNOW
B1. TOUCH ME WHEN WE’RE DANCING

The overture is probably only brief and I think these two songs will be on side 1 of the LP and segued because they are in the same key. There was also an overlap between the two songs on the 1985 Yesterday Once More collection.

The overture is probably only brief and I think these two songs will be on side 1 of the LP and segued because they are in the same key. There was also an overlap between the two songs on the 1985 Yesterday Once More collection.

I'm taking it that A, B, C, D stands for label side of the LP. I am assuming the first LP is side A & B, 2nd LP is side C & D. Why would they put a track from side B on side A?

I'm taking it that A, B, C, D stands for label side of the LP. I am assuming the first LP is side A & B, 2nd LP is side C & D. Why would they put a track from side B on side A?

Is the breakdown you posted just your guess on how the tracks will be allocated to each side of the LPs or is it from an official source? Because what I meant is that the overture probably won’t really count as a full track and Hurting Each Other and For All We Know both come in at under 3 minutes, so Touch Me When We’re Dancing will probably fit on side 1 of a 2-disc LP and segues nicely into For All We Know. But if the list you posted is official, then ignore me :laugh:

(OVERTURE)
A1. YESTERDAY ONCE MORE
A2. HURTING EACH OTHER
A3. I NEED TO BE IN LOVE
A4. FOR ALL WE KNOW
A5. TOUCH ME WHEN WE’RE DANCING

B1. I BELIEVE YOU
B2. I JUST FALL IN LOVE AGAIN
B3. MERRY CHRISTMAS DARLING
B4. BABY IT’S YOU

C1. (THEY LONG TO BE) CLOSE TO YOU
C2. THIS MASQUERADE
C3. SUPERSTAR
C4. RAINY DAYS AND MONDAYS

D1. TICKET TO RIDE
D2. GOODBYE TO LOVE
D3. TOP OF THE WORLD
D4. WE’VE ONLY JUST BEGUN

Last edited:
Stephen your tripping me out. Why at this point would I post my own list?

Oh right, I hadn’t seen the published LP tracklist before and thought it was your guess at how the tracks would be allocated per side. Sorry :)

It makes me wonder though whether there will be segues on the CD that won’t be on the LP due to the separation.

Oh right, I hadn’t seen the published LP tracklist before and thought it was your guess at how the tracks would be allocated per side. Sorry :)

It makes me wonder though whether there will be segues on the CD that won’t be on the LP due to the separation.
Which would mean alternate versions !!!

Well I hope that doesn't happen as I pre-ordered the Japan CD and if it turns out that 'Please Mr. Postman' is the Target bonus track then I wasted my money getting the Japan CD.
I also preordene the japanese cd, I just heard YOM and Merry Christmas Darling and was a little disappointed, I expected something much more symphonic ...like this Queen cd with arrangements of Mr. Louis Clark.
But it is always beautiful to hear Karen's voice, I'm still waiting impatiently
the-best-of-queen-royal-philharmonic-orchestra-cd-D_NQ_NP_5288-MLA4957753673_092013-F.webp

I haven't listened yet to the 2 released tracks but from what I'm reading from those who have it sounds like we were expecting more from the RPO and that the wow factor is not present. I'm kinda surprised because from a marketing aspect one would think that Universal would release the first 2 tracks that really showcased the RPO to give the listener a true flavor of what the album is all about.

Yet it seems some are underwhelmed. I am also surprised that Universal released MCD as one of the 1st 2 tracks being released. For the public who are not really huge Carpenters fans one would think this song (with the holidays approaching) would have been a track saved well...for the holiday and not released the 1st week of November.

For me I can't play MCD in early November...I mean I can but it doesn't have the same effect as playing it after Thanksgiving or 1st week of December.

I haven't listened yet to the 2 released tracks but from what I'm reading from those who have it sounds like we were expecting more from the RPO and that the wow factor is not present. I'm kinda surprised because from a marketing aspect one would think that Universal would release the first 2 tracks that really showcased the RPO to give the listener a true flavor of what the album is all about.

Maybe the entire album is in the same vein as these two tracks. In the link posted above ("Historic New Album..."), they quote Richard as saying he didn't want the orchestra to get in the way too much. If that's the case, and the result is that they're somewhat buried in the mix and just repeating much of the original arrangement (as is the case with Yesterday Once More), what's the point of having them there at all?

I think they are nice arrangements, clean and clear. True that they are similar, but it’s still refreshing. It is more than just a bleed in as in The Beach Boys product. And to get Richard’s care is nice. I don’t even think Buddy Holly would want his orchestrated, and we have Richard at the helm of his products which is unique to the others. We certainly don’t want these songs to become an easy listening Muzak product and with Richard at the helm they sound refreshing and better in fidelity than other products of the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra doing pop favorites. It’s not the same as the Boston Pops orchestration. It is a true to song representation. I think if we look at it for what it is and not what we might expect, we will see the added value. I enjoy the two we have so far and I can’t wait to hear the others.

I think they are nice arrangements, clean and clear. True that they are similar, but it’s still refreshing. It is more than just a bleed in as in The Beach Boys product. And to get Richard’s care is nice. I don’t even think Buddy Holly would want his orchestrated, and we have Richard at the helm of his products which is unique to the others. We certainly don’t want these songs to become an easy listening Muzak product and with Richard at the helm they sound refreshing and better in fidelity than other products of the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra doing pop favorites. It’s not the same as the Boston Pops orchestration. It is a true to song representation. I think if we look at it for what it is and not what we might expect, we will see the added value. I enjoy the two we have so far and I can’t wait to hear the others.

Totally agree, Craig. Any new showcase for their music is a welcome addition to the catalogue.

2 songs released, not up to "expectations", is it time to panic?!!:yikes: I'm waiting with child-like excitement for the FEDEX/UPS guy to show up at my door around Dec 7th with my gift to myself. I will then take it into my humble abode, clear the room of any distractions (wife, cat, etc.), pour myself a nice glass of California "Old Vine" Zinfandel, put on my headphones, and drink it all in (not just the wine). I am thoroughly going to enjoy this...

I am also surprised that Universal released MCD as one of the 1st 2 tracks being released. For the public who are not really huge Carpenters fans one would think this song (with the holidays approaching) would have been a track saved well...for the holiday and not released the 1st week of November.

For me I can't play MCD in early November...I mean I can but it doesn't have the same effect as playing it after Thanksgiving or 1st week of December.

I’m not sure why you are surprised. Christmas albums and singles are usually released in October/November because the big sales time for Christmas music is the month before Christmas. As many in the industry will recall, in 1974 the Beach Boys released their Christmas single “Child Of Winter” on December 23, 1974. It didn’t hit any Christmas charts and in a lot of places didn’t even go on sale because it came out so close to Christmas that most people had already bought their Christmas gifts and music by that point. And very few radio stations and syndicated radio shows would’ve had time to get it into their Christmas program.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom