📣 News Carpenters With The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well said, GaryAlan and Nick. I have a few songs I don't care for myself and some I actually loathe, but it doesn't change what the music makes me feel in any way and doesn't make me feel less thankful for the offerings that have been put forth. I love Passage but always start with track 2. I don't care much for Mr. Guder either, but that performance in Belgium in 1974 when the camera was on her the whole time was magic. She made that song and I say all the time that if it wasn't for her drumming and singing on it, it would be a totally worthless throwaway cut. I also really don't care for the song Bless The Beasts and Children. It bores me. So I actually find myself skipping over 3 songs on ASFY, even though it is one of my favorite albums. Then there's also Please Mr. Postman, Breaking Up Is Hard To Do, Piano Picker, Flat Baroque, Goofus, etc. Different strokes, right?

I guess that in a roundabout way we end up realizing what Richard has, that with such a blessing Karen was to music, there were certain things that were just not up to par with what she should have been doing. But hindsight is always 20/20, and all we can do is enjoy what we have, and what we are about to receive in this new RPO album. I didn't sit up all night listening to the new cut of Yesterday Once More when it dropped, crying my eyes out because it was a "meh" effort. There is a new beauty and clarity to these new cuts and I am fully prepared to be emotionally gut punched again when I hear the full album next Friday. I am also itching and twitching with anticipation and I say it again. Hurry the hell up, Friday!

...or maybe new choir parts added!

That actually wouldn't surprise me, at least on a few cuts.
I'm still most curious about what will happen with "Superstar" and "Goodbye to Love". The original arrangements are among Richard's very best. So did he view them as sacred, or play with them a bit? I'd actually like to see him going full gonzo Phil Spector on the close to "GTL" (even more than he originally did).
Looking forward to the release, regardless. Nice to enjoy some Carpenters anticipation again.

Discogs updated their website with credits, I see John Eidsvoog name listed as well. So discogs must have already got a copy?

Carpenters With The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra - Carpenters With The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra

Credits

Is it just me or is it odd that Karen is not listed in the credits?
I notice that too, I'm hoping they'll have a track by track personnel listing.

Incidentally, Amazon has a link to the CD listed as 'Japan Version', with 'not available'. Perhaps we'll have the opportunity to order at some point.

What does the last credit mean? Restoration Vocal
Restoration of the vocal tracks from the original master tapes. The tapes are digitized and then a very sophisticated set of software and hardware tools are used to remove 99.9% of the imperfections that are present in 40-50 year old tape. De-essers, de-clickers, de-cracklers, removal of background noise, etc. The result is a track that sounds like it is recorded "only yesterday" (har-har) with a very low signal-to-noise ratio.

Is it just me or is it odd that Karen is not listed in the credits?
Typically, only performance credits are listed in the main credits of an album. Karen's vocals would be classified as archival sources, the differentiation being for the sake of paying recording royalties to the musicians involved. She will be listed in alternate, track-by-track credits, as well as any other musicians used in the original tracks that were used in these mixes. The royalties for those performances, if they apply, will be logged and paid separately.

I'm also so excited to see where this album debutes on the charts here in the UK. It's been in the Top 100 of the Amazon UK best sellers list for a month now based on pre-orders ! It seems everytime they play one of the new tracks on radio it jumps up the best sellers list. Smooth Radio have launched a poll for the Top 50 Christmas songs and what would you know it "Merry Christmas, Darling" is currently at #3 and climbing. Let's see if we can get it to the top for the 40th Anniversary of Christmas Portrait!

VOTE for your favourite Christmas song of all time! - Smooth

I'm also so excited to see where this album debutes on the charts here in the UK. It's been in the Top 100 of the Amazon UK best sellers list for a month now based on pre-orders ! It seems everytime they play one of the new tracks on radio it jumps up the best sellers list. Smooth Radio have launched a poll for the Top 50 Christmas songs and what would you know it "Merry Christmas, Darling" is currently at #3 and climbing. Let's see if we can get it to the top for the 40th Anniversary of Christmas Portrait!

VOTE for your favourite Christmas song of all time! - Smooth
Yeah we can't have George Michael's Last Christmas win this poll for a second year in a row. :crazy:

i wonder if there is any chance that the choir parts could be taken out of I need to be in love in this RPO album.

Technically, it could be done...but I can't imagine it happening. Karen is no longer around so there'd be nothing to replace them with. Also, the orchestra is the promoted addition, not a new choir. We'll know on Friday.

Ed

these tracks (the ones we have heard so far) have not really been given the full RPO treatment

I guess I don't know what "the full RPO treatment" would be. Great swells of sweeping strings and horns drowning everything else out?

I think we're likely to hear Richard's original arrangements, except played by a lot more players, with some extra "decorative" touches added. That's what I'm expecting.

I expect to be most thrilled by the segue sections, because Richard is brilliant at those and I always regretted that he largely abandoned the practice in their later albums.

I guess I don't know what "the full RPO treatment" would be. Great swells of sweeping strings and horns drowning everything else out?

There are many examples on other albums where there are such great swells of sweeping strings that don’t drown out those tracks at all, but actually enhance the recordings way beyond the originals.

I think we're likely to hear Richard's original arrangements, except played by a lot more players, with some extra "decorative" touches added.

That’s a fair summary of what we’ve heard so far :)

I expect to be most thrilled by the segue sections, because Richard is brilliant at those and I always regretted that he largely abandoned the practice in their later albums.[/QUOTE]
I agree. I'm looking forward to the "flow" of the music.

I expect to be most thrilled by the segue sections, because Richard is brilliant at those and I always regretted that he largely abandoned the practice in their later albums.
I agree. I'm looking forward to the "flow" of the music.[/QUOTE]
Richard hates fade-outs so much that segues just became a perfect way to transition from one song to the next. My absolute favorite segue of his is the one he did to bridge I Won't Last A Day Without You and (They Long To Be) Close To You on the Singles compilation from 1999. It gets to me every time I hear it. He is amazing at writing those cues though. It's one of the many things that would have made him an amazing film composer if he had given that a chance.

Regarding the bonus tracks: A question was posed on the Target website and the reply was the bonus track is "Those Good Old Dreams." In Japan the bonus track is "Please Mr. Postman." Two good sources are CD Japan and Amazon.co.jp which has an English translation option.

Regarding the bonus tracks: A question was posed on the Target website and the reply was the bonus track is "Those Good Old Dreams."

Yes, BUT - the answer sites as their source "a Carpenters online forum". You think that might be us? I do, as we've made an educated guess as to what track it must be if it's to be truly "exclusive". Nothing's written in stone yet. Stay tuned.

Yes, BUT - the answer sites as their source "a Carpenters online forum". You think that might be us? I do, as we've made an educated guess as to what track it must be if it's to be truly "exclusive". Nothing's written in stone yet. Stay tuned.

That's definitely us Harry. I was reading the Steve Hoffmann forum thread on the RPO album and they said the same thing... We're being watched ! :blinkeye::blinkeye:
We better be on our best behavior ! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom