đź“Ł News Carpenters With The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra

Status
Not open for further replies.
just been looking at the photos on Richards instagram and couldn't believe this photo, what the hell was going on here with him?
it`s not the first time I`ve looked at how skinny Richard is sometimes, in a lot of photos and in their videos. it surprises me sometimes how it`s Karen that always gets talked about regarding her weight issues, but I`ve never seen anyone mention Richard!

It's well known Richard had addition problems in the late 70s (with no knowledge that the substance being used recreationally). I think what plagued both KC and RC was being overworked.

Doing an album ever year, touring, tv shows, promotion, videos/photoshoots, meetings and interviews etc. is tough.
No matter how successful you are, that's hard work all-in-all.

It's for this reason I'm glad he's doing things in his own time.

I didn't think it was possible (only deducing that this idea would be fit for their legacy), but he proved us all wrong.
Now that he's over a recent lawsuit or negotiations he was dealing with Universal he's back at it! I can't figure out if this new project is using digital transfers or what... Anyway, I think control issues have always been a struggle for The C's, but whatever compromise/deal was made let's just be happy for this news.

Last edited:
It's times like this that I really hope that somehow, some where, Karen knows what's happening... All the albums and songs released since she passed away. All the continued succss and longevity her voice has had and how much the world still loves her. And how Richard is working on this project.

Now that he's over a recent lawsuit or negotiations he was dealing with Universal he's back at it!

This was the first thing that came to mind when I saw the Instagram post about the new album. He settled out of court with UMG in the last year and is now making an album with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra. Make no mistake - this is going to be a very high profile release, with TV advertising etc, at least in the UK, where these albums have been hugely successful. So, given the recent litigation, is his relationship with UMG still intact or will this be released via another label?

It's times like this that I really hope that somehow, some where, Karen knows what's happening... All the albums and songs released since she passed away. All the continued succss and longevity her voice has had and how much the world still loves her. And how Richard is working on this project.
I like your statement. Karen has an intense spirit. She knows.

Looking at Richard's Instagram here ====> Richard Carpenter (@richardcarpenterofficial) • Instagram photos and videos
and no where on that page do I see that picture on that site as you state "just been looking at the photos on Richards instagram and couldn't believe this photo, what the hell was going on here with him?"
Could you please clarify where you actually saw the picture you show? I only see 11 posts and that picture is not included on that page. Thank you.

Posted on Instagram tonight. Recording hasn't yet begun. Trying to figure out what he's playing, a Close To You chord towards the end, can't figure out the rest
Richard Carpenter on Instagram: “Leaving for London in less than a week to start recording the new album. With all of the excitement it’s nice to take a break and play the…”

He is playing sonething I don't recognise but he used the # "New Music" ... Could this mean that we are getting some new, unheard tracks with Karen on???

"Leaving for London in less than a week to start recording the new album. With all the excitement it's nice to take a break and play the piano. #RoyalPhilharmonicOrchestra #London #NewMusic"

This has given me so many questions...

-"Start Recording" ... Does that mean nothing has been recorded yet? If not then what was he recording in those pictures? Maybe it was his Christmas album. Colin did say he was recording Christmas music. Perhaps we will be getting 2 new albums.

-"new album" and "new music" he used those words... Does this mean that there will be new, unheard tracks with Karen? After all it's a new "Carpenters" album, not a Richard album. .

-what is he playing in that video? Could it be one of the new songs? Will we hear Karen singing that?

I'm excited about this...I'm glad that Richard Carpenter has "gotten the word out" !
Wasn't so long ago we had a debate about "timing" and "marketing" for a new album....
Not too many folks agreed with my premise to "get the word out as soon as possible",
this to generate excitement, anticipation, spread the News that a new album is on the Horizon.
And....here we are....definitive news is Out.
Thank You, Richard Carpenter !

"Leaving for London in less than a week to start recording the new album. With all the excitement it's nice to take a break and play the piano. #RoyalPhilharmonicOrchestra #London #NewMusic"

This has given me so many questions...

-"Start Recording" ... Does that mean nothing has been recorded yet? If not then what was he recording in those pictures? Maybe it was his Christmas album. Colin did say he was recording Christmas music. Perhaps we will be getting 2 new albums.

-"new album" and "new music" he used those words... Does this mean that there will be new, unheard tracks with Karen? After all it's a new "Carpenters" album, not a Richard album. .

-what is he playing in that video? Could it be one of the new songs? Will we hear Karen singing that?
It’s sounding to me like this is more of a tie in to the 50th release pkg next year.

AAhhhhh! I saw the title of this thread previously, and didn't understand what it actually meant, and just got around to reading it.

This is great! Some of you predicted exactly this - great insight. I'm excited to see what comes of this.

Richard must be having a blast, albeit probably with a tinge of sorrow. So good of him to do this at this point in his life.

What’s the betting he’s recording this at Abbey Road studios here in London?

Sir Paul was in the news a few weeks ago traversing the famous Abbey Road crosswalk. Could it be that he was on his way to the studio to meetup with Richard ?! :D As we all know, Paul is a huge Karen fan:

Last edited:
^^ Wouldn't THAT be cool! Maybe a new album with others celebrating Carps 50 years. Probably never happen. Calling Olivia, Dionne, etc.

^^ Wouldn't THAT be cool! Maybe a new album with others celebrating Carps 50 years. Probably never happen. Calling Olivia, Dionne, etc.

Not so far-fetched Mark-T. A posthumous duet with Karen wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility. Natalie Cole/Nat King Cole did it with Unforgettable, Celine Dion/Frank Sinatra with All The Way, and Hank Williams Jr/Hank Williams Tear In My Beer. Let me throw this out there, George Benson, singing a posthumous duet with Karen on This Masquerade. Can't happen? Why not? As I check, George Benson is alive and well and still active in the business (according to Wikipedia). I know this project Richard is working on is probably set in concrete, but how great it would be if there were some "guest stars" involved on the project?

Last edited:

There may be some confusion with regard to jcolo1956 post above along with your reply.
First, the link you placed in your quotes above Photos and Videos is NOT Richard's Instagram Account, I'm not sure if your trying to say that the Photo you posted of Richard (looking thin) is on that page or not but it's not Richard's account, looks to me like a fan made instagram acct.

Secondly, (I don't have a sign in for Instagram) but when a person who is not logged into Instagram and you go to Richard's official instagram account Richard Carpenter (@richardcarpenterofficial) • Instagram photos and videos
for me (not logged in) you cannot scroll down there are only 12 photos on his page and that's it. Like I said there may be more but for someone not logged in there are no more pages to see. I also find it really hard to believe Richard would put a photo like that on his Instagram Acct.

Just trying to clarify...but really this photo anyway has nothing to do with the topic at hand but I wanted to clarify since you posted it. In addition the source for that photo you posted comes from a image upload UK site so that cannot be from Richard's instagram account.

There may be some confusion with regard to jcolo1956 post above along with your reply.
First, the link you placed in your quotes above Photos and Videos is NOT Richard's Instagram Account, I'm not sure if your trying to say that the Photo you posted of Richard (looking thin) is on that page or not but it's not Richard's account, looks to me like a fan made instagram acct.

Secondly, (I don't have a sign in for Instagram) but when a person who is not logged into Instagram and you go to Richard's official instagram account Richard Carpenter (@richardcarpenterofficial) • Instagram photos and videos
for me (not logged in) you cannot scroll down there are only 12 photos on his page and that's it. Like I said there may be more but for someone not logged in there are no more pages to see. I also find it really hard to believe Richard would put a photo like that on his Instagram Acct.

Just trying to clarify...but really this photo anyway has nothing to do with the topic at hand but I wanted to clarify since you posted it. In addition the source for that photo you posted comes from a image upload UK site so that cannot be from Richard's instagram account.

Does Richard even have an Instagram account. I'd find the existence of one rather hard to believe. This definitely isn't it.

Ed

#richardcarpenter hashtag on Instagram • Photos and Videos

First, the link you placed in your quotes above Photos and Videos is NOT Richard's Instagram Account

No, that’s not an actual account, it’s just a link to any photos of him on Instagram that come up when you do a hashtag search using his name.

Does Richard even have an Instagram account. I'd find the existence of one rather hard to believe. This definitely isn't it.

Yes he does.

Richard Carpenter (@richardcarpenterofficial) • Instagram photos and videos

His latest post is the video of him playing piano at home:

Richard Carpenter on Instagram: “Leaving for London in less than a week to start recording the new album. With all of the excitement it’s nice to take a break and play the…”

for me (not logged in) you cannot scroll down there are only 12 photos on his page and that's it. Like I said there may be more but for someone not logged in there are no more pages to see.

There are only 12 posts on his page even when you’re logged in. He did have more but he must have deleted them. I find this one very touching, which he posted on the anniversary of her passing last year:

Richard Carpenter on Instagram: “To the best sister, and the most talented person I knew ❤”

Last edited:
Not been on here for a few days and wow.So exciting.New Carpenters release. All a bit surreal.Over the RPO releases there have been several as mentioned.Elvis has had 2 general song release albums plus a full RPO Christmas album which was released in standard and deluxe versions and also a double pack.Then the Beach boys and Roy Orbison have one each.Excited about all this but new artwork to.

I'm so excited to see what songs will be on it. Here are some I think will sound great with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra treatment:

-Yesterday Once More
-Close To You
-Look To Your Dreams
-Superstar
-Where Do I Go From Here
-I Won't Last A Day Without You
-Solitaire
-I Need To Be In Love
-Hurting Each Other
-Goodbye To Love
-Rainy Days And Mondays
-One Love
-Touch Me When We're Dancing
-I Just Fall In Love Again

Maybe even an unheard track with Karen on vocals, this would be a great place to put it.

Among the hits, there are at least four I think could turn out really well with the orchestral treatment: Superstar, I Need to Be in Love, Goodbye to Love, and Solitaire. All but GTL might benefit from a little extra oomph, or at least make for enjoyable alternatives to the originals. GTL is brilliant as is, but I'd be curious to see how it would sound with the fuzz guitar replaced by a massive orchestral arrangement. Not sure I'd even object to having a big choir on the "aahs". Again, just as an alternative to the original, which is on its own plane of perfection. I don't know that I'd bother touching anything that they already used Peter Knight on.

Hearing quite a lot of good buzz on the Beach Boys release. Must really feel rewarding to Richard to have Carpenters picked out next to Elvis, Aretha, Orbison, and the BBs. And it's certainly deserved given their terribly underappreciated catalog.

Went to several concerts in the 1990s that paired country singers with big orchestras to reinvent their hits. Hearing the pedal steel replaced with a mountain of strings was pretty breathtaking on many songs.

So how does this actually work? The orchestra and Richard are in the studio and Richard conducts as the orchestra play listening to Karen’s vocal lead? So her vocal lead would have to be a strippped down version with only her vocals coming across the speaker system while the orchestra create the music. I mean the orchestra would not be hearing the original studio track with all the original instruments as that would clash against what there adding with the full orchestra.

So if Richard is using Carpenters songs with only Karen’s vocals or Karen’s and Richards and their backing vocals then how is Richard stripping away everything from the original studio music? So Richard is taking say 12-15 master tapes to London with only Karen and Richard’s lead vocals and background vocals only?

I guess I’m trying to understand how this process works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom