đź“Ł News Carpenters With The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found this instagram post under the #richardcarpenter hashtag: Beverley Chitwood on Instagram: “It’s always a privilege to sing at Capitol Records. #vocalist #richardcarpenter #younique_corporate”
Someone was singing back ground vocals for RC's christmas album? Don't know if it means anything though.

When asked what she’s working on, her response to the question is unusual. She says it was “background vocals on a Christmas song for Richard Carpenter. An artist I assume he’s producing”.

Now that is weird, Stephen. How can she not know?

I would love if we got a fabulous instrumental overture to open the album. Wasn't there one rumoured for Singles 1969-1981?

Possibilities! This is truly going to be an exciting Carpenters era. Just when I thought we were through!

Now I’m confused about this project. Are we reading too much into this? Maybe this is a Christmas album for another artist and maybe this is not the Carpenters (Karen and Richard’s music) being recorded with the London Orchestra?

Now I’m confused about this project. Are we reading too much into this? Maybe this is a Christmas album for another artist and maybe this is not the Carpenters (Karen and Richard’s music) being recorded with the London Orchestra?

I'm almost positive that the pics Colin posted of Richard conducting the orchestra was NOT the Royal Philharmonic with which the new (Carpenters) album is being recorded. I thought it was at first too, but then Richard's own Instagram post a few days ago mentioned that he was preparing to leave for London to record with the RPO, so it doesn't seem like any recording has been done yet for that project. The pics from Colin were definitely from something else, but I do not know what other than something "Christmas."

The RPO album is definitely "Carpenters" as Richard has said that himself. The photos Colin posted are confusing me, they are in Capitol Studios and look similar to a picture posted of Joe Osborn a couple of years ago with the caption "Working on a Richard Carpenter album".it seems he's been doing something at capitol records for quite some time. Then there were rumours of a Christmas album over a decade ago featuring Petula Clarke... This must be the longest time spent recording an album in history !

I think the RPO album is clearly Carpenters, as Richard has said himself. What I find odd is that a group of musicians and/or singers are invited to a studio to work with Richard on what seems like a Christmas album doomed to perpetual limbo, but who then leave none the wiser as to what they have just recorded and why. Did Richard not talk to them when working with them in the studio, welcome them and explain to them what they were being asked to lay tracks down to? Unless some big secret announcement is being held back. Bizarre.

2 Projects, Ten years in the making! It'll be good.
Somewhere it was said... I think on Chris May's podcast that the music was getting too complicated to play.
I can't wait to hear what he's been doing, and how this has all evolved over this decade.
Awesome, awesome stuff!

Have any of you heard Akiko Kobayashi's "A song for you" album?
It's a similar concept arrangement wise.

To my ears, this 2003 album is like a preview of what's to come for The C's/RPO.
I wonder if there'll be any comparison to be made with the way it's done.

Akiko's orchestral track-listing:

1. Medley: Ticket to ride/We've only just begun/Superstar/A song for you/Desperado
2. I need to be in love
3. Goodbye to love
4. Somebody's been lyin'
5. Rainy days and Mondays
6. Make believe it's your first time
7. Lovelines
8. Sing
9. Honolulu city lights
10. All you get from love is a love song
11. Close to you

I'm excited for this new one!!!
By the way, Akiko's Lovelines sounds beautiful! Really changes it up. My favourite off of this album.

We are all kind of assuming that this new project is related to the recent series of RPO releases ... if it is, would I be correct in thinking that this is the first time the artist has been involved? Obviously Ella, Elvis & Roy are all gone. I don't know if Brian Wilson was attached to the BB one or Aretha?

We are all kind of assuming that this new project is related to the recent series of RPO releases ... if it is, would I be correct in thinking that this is the first time the artist has been involved? Obviously Ella, Elvis & Roy are all gone. I don't know if Brian Wilson was attached to the BB one or Aretha?

The Aretha one is a full studio album so she must have, the Beaches Boys I think they had something to do with it but not sure. And Priscilla Presley was involved in the Elvis ones; as Executive producer.

*Confirmed... Richard is now in London.
His son, Colin posted a photo in London on his Instagram.

There are two photos posted as “stories” and it would seem Colin is here with his dad, as are probably other family members too.

Anyway, exciting times!

Last edited:
The bizarre thing is that there’s been absolutely no media news about this at all. Maybe he wants to keep it low key so he and his family can enjoy their time in London (especially him after all this time), but it would have been great for him to get behind some publicity for this trip, given what it’s going to produce.

Check out the Live Cam ! He could be there already... We've been having a heat wave... Now on RC's first full day It's raining. Typical.

If you look below the live cam, there's a hall of fame. There's an image from 3 hours ago with 2 men. The one on the left looks a little bit like Richard !
15337944208206_56.jpg

I just contacted the reception of Abbey Road Studios asking if Richard is in today recording with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra. Here's the response:

"For security and privacy reasons, we do not give out information about the clients working with us"

I guess that means yes then :laugh:

Maybe this is going on right now...

:violin::fiddle::standup::b-bass::b-drums::guitar:

*Richard In London Update*

Richard and his family (So far I know Mary, Colin and Taylor are with him) are touring Sir Winston Churchill's war rooms right now .

I've uploaded a picture on my Facebook page "The Carpenters History & News" but don't know how to move it here.

We've been having a heat wave... Now on RC's first full day It's raining. Typical.

Here in London in particular there’s been a constant, sweltering 30 degree heat for the past two months - similar to LA weather - and on the day he arrives, it starts raining. I wish the weather had been nicer for their arrival. More rain tomorrow and over the weekend too...

Does anyone know the last time Richard was in London? The last time I can recall was the making of the video for Something In Your Eyes. Filmed at...where else? Abbey Road Studios :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom