📣 News Carpenters With The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra

Status
Not open for further replies.
*Richard In London Update*

Richard and his family (So far I know Mary, Colin and Taylor are with him) are touring Sir Winston Churchill's war rooms right now .

I've uploaded a picture on my Facebook page "The Carpenters History & News" but don't know how to move it here.
Thanks for the update. Keep them coming.

Here in London in particular there’s been a constant, sweltering 30 degree heat for the past two months - similar to LA weather - and on the day he arrives, it starts raining. I wish the weather had been nicer for their arrival. More rain tomorrow and over the weekend too...
All hail Richard, the bringer of rain! (Sorry, I've been watching Spartacus on Netflix... :D )

Does anyone know the last time Richard was in London? The last time I can recall was the making of the video for Something In Your Eyes. Filmed at...where else? Abbey Road Studios :)
For work related purposes you might be right. However, he could have vacationed / visited relatives in the UK any number of times in the last 30 years, and we never would have known about it.

From Colin’s public Instagram page. I think this might be the first time he and Taylor have been to London (for drinks anyway :laugh:).

24E8D62A-517C-4CDA-87DF-BE606E75C79C_zpshmhsburo.png

Last edited:
I would love if we got a fabulous instrumental overture to open the album. Wasn't there one rumoured for Singles 1969-1981?

Getting back on topic, I forgot to reply to this comment. I think an overture would be superb for this collection. Freddie Mercury did one for his Barcelona collaboration album (which originally substituted keyboards for any orchestral parts) and when it was re-done in 2012, faithfully with 80-piece orchestra, it was stunning.

I’m intrigued about there being one planned for the Singles 1969-1981. Where did that story come from?

It sure sounds like this might be the 50th anniv release since recording has not even started and then after recording comes mixing and that doesn't account yet for the packaging and creating the CD's and or vinyl pressing and we are into the 2nd week of August. I'd bet this has to be the 50th collection.

I can only imagine what it must be like next week and the next several weeks to hear Karen's rich vocals being voiced over the sound system with orchestra, surreal would only be touching the surface. I know it's a business but Karen sings with such intimacy and closeness that hearing Karen again like this in 2018 with new orchestral movements will be breathtaking. This could possibly be the release of a lifetime in ways he never thought we would ever hear Karen's vocals being presented. So excited!!

Colin’s instagram shows a pic he’s going into the medical field that was new to me, what happen to the music band he was in? I thought he might follow his dad’s career path.

How long will the recording of this project take? It's probably very expensive to be paying for his family to stay in (I presume) a 5 * hotel in London for weeks. Could this be released in time for christmas in the space of 4-5 months?

^ Richard has the wealth to cover his accommodations in London. I think it would be awesome if Paul McCartney or Elton John would drop by for a visit during the project and add some back up vocals as a tribute if they are in England during this period. I remember reading that Paul would have had Karen appear on an album he was working on with his brother during the Carpenters visit to Strawberry Studios if it was't a rock oriented format.

To keep with the Red Bus theme we have a saying in this country regarding said form of transportation:

"You wait 15 years for a Carpenter project then 2 come along at one".
How long will the recording of this project take? It's probably very expensive to be paying for his family to stay in (I presume) a 5 * hotel in London for weeks. Could this be released in time for christmas in the space of 4-5 months?

Well Karen managed an entire suite for 11 months back in '82 so Rich should be OK for a couple of weeks.

Here in London in particular there’s been a constant, sweltering 30 degree heat for the past two months - similar to LA weather - and on the day he arrives, it starts raining. I wish the weather had been nicer for their arrival. More rain tomorrow and over the weekend too...

Does anyone know the last time Richard was in London? The last time I can recall was the making of the video for Something In Your Eyes. Filmed at...where else? Abbey Road Studios :)

He was over in '97/98 to promote PACC so that was 20 years, professionally at least.

^ Richard has the wealth to cover his accommodations in London. I think it would be awesome if Paul McCartney or Elton John would drop by for a visit during the project and add some back up vocals as a tribute if they are in England during this period. I remember reading that Paul would have had Karen appear on an album he was working on with his brother during the Carpenters visit to Strawberry Studios if it was't a rock oriented format.
Elton John has recently collaborated with Jake Shears so anything is possible, but don’t hold your breath!

How long will the recording of this project take? It's probably very expensive to be paying for his family to stay in (I presume) a 5 * hotel in London for weeks.

They’re staying in one of the most exclusive hotels in London. I’m sure they’re having a great time despite the continued downpour today.

Would be great if Richard was to pay a visit to BBC Radio 2 DJ Ken Bruce and reveal his Tracks Of My Years.

It would be great to think he was going to do a few TV or radio spots while he’s here to promote the planned album. It’s been such a long time since his last visit. I’d be surprised if the media don’t pick up on the fact he’s here and recording a new Carpenters project at Abbey Road (if in fact that’s where he’ll be). They’re still phenomenally successful and popular here in the UK.

Last edited:
Would this make news over in London? Like tv, radio or news magazines especially with a major symphony being involved? I hope if it does someone let’s us know. I wonder if U.K. or Japan reporters will be in London for an interview with Richard.

Would this make news over in London? Like tv, radio or news magazines especially with a major symphony being involved? I hope if it does someone let’s us know. I wonder if Japan reporters will be in London for an interview with Richard.

Usually anything to do with the RPO generates a buzz in the UK, especially if linked to a major artist. Here’s hoping. I’m keeping a close eye on TV and radio activity for any sign that he might surface for an appearance.

It may be that he doesn’t want to be distracted by the media from the job at hand, especially if it’s only a flying visit. It would be a great shame though. I’m sure many people would be delighted to see he’s still around and working on such an exciting new Carpenters project.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom