📣 News Carpenters With The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone posted a Question on Target's website about this release on CD and asked what is the bonus track? Ha is this one of us? Ha
What is taking them so long? It just has to be "Those Good Old Dreams"

The pricing of this CD still baffles me...why would you buy the CD without a bonus track for the same price with a bonus track?
Amazon is $12.59 (no bonus track)
Target is $12.99 (1 bonus track)

Pricing doesn't make sense. In addition, with this many songs on this CD, I would have thought it would have been priced at something like $15.99 (without the bonus)
$17.99 (with the bonus track)

Everybody sets their own price. Target is probably settling for a lower profit margin than Amazon is.

The "manufacturer's suggested retail price" for the album is $13.98. Each label has a default suggested-retail for new records. A lot of new stuff these days has a retail price of $18.98, but $13.98 is a common price too. The mega-selling soundtrack to the new movie "A Star Is Born" is also a $13.98 retail.

Someone posted a Question on Target's website about this release on CD and asked what is the bonus track? Ha is this one of us? Ha
What is taking them so long? It just has to be "Those Good Old Dreams"

The pricing of this CD still baffles me...why would you buy the CD without a bonus track for the same price with a bonus track?
Amazon is $12.59 (no bonus track)
Target is $12.99 (1 bonus track)

Pricing doesn't make sense. In addition, with this many songs on this CD, I would have thought it would have been priced at something like $15.99 (without the bonus)
$17.99 (with the bonus track)

target is mainly interested in the traffic, if they pay more for the bonus track, they will consider it a loss leader.

Universal may want more $ for the album due to the bonus track but nobody will ever know if Target actually paid more or not. These big companies have a lot of leverage over their suppliers.

Plus retailers like Target will usually sell the lower cost items, like CD’s at a loss, knowing that they will get more than enough to cover from bigger ticket items like those 60-inch TV’s or their clothing lines.

What is taking them so long?

We may not know even on release day. For example, today is the release day for the 50th Anniversary edition of the Beatles White Album. Target's page for this still has no track list:

The Beatles (White Album) (Deluxe) (3CD)

Still, with the Carpenters album being an exclusive, there may be an extra push to promote the thing closer to release date. Let's hope.

Wouldn’t it be safe to assume that Please Mr Postman and Those Good Old Dreams were orchestrated to be stand alone tracks? Japan is tacking there’s on the end as track 19. Target would be the same I would think. Still confused why Postman wasn’t the bonus in the US since it was a hit.

Wouldn’t it be safe to assume that Please Mr Postman and Those Good Old Dreams were orchestrated to be stand alone tracks? Japan is tacking there’s on the end as track 19. Target would be the same I would think. Still confused why Postman wasn’t the bonus in the US since it was a hit.

I've found from buying CDs from Target with bonus tracks that they tend to mirror what the Japan bonus track is. Therefore, I think there's a good chance the bonus track will be Please Mr. Postman.

Beware. Target is known for not getting the CD to the customer by the release day. I just finished waiting 32 days for the Monkees Christmas CD with two bonus tracks. I ended up canceling the order and rescheduling it for in store delivery. Needless to say, it was a big hassle. At least Amazon guarantees release day delivery with Amazon prime, plus instant download.

Wow we're almost here gang.
I've already seen criticisms about this release, but it's nice to hear YOM and MCD like this.
The ending of MCD is superb.
If you close your eyes it's literally like Karen is singing in front of you. I don't mind that the orchestra was pushed back in the mix. It's actually kind of a nice effect.
You're getting a private concert.
Really though, turn down the lights, close your eyes and listen to these mixes.

Beware. Target is known for not getting the CD to the customer by the release day. I just finished waiting 32 days for the Monkees Christmas CD with two bonus tracks. I ended up canceling the order and rescheduling it for in store delivery. Needless to say, it was a big hassle. At least Amazon guarantees release day delivery with Amazon prime, plus instant download.
And they don't always put it out ON release date. I have had to ask someone to go get it for me in the back before.

I’ve been keeping an eye on comments posted on the YouTube video for the orchestral version of Yesterday Once More and one person commented “I don’t hear new orchestral arrangements, sounds exactly [like] the original song”.

This was my worry from the first time I heard it. My mam appreciates good orchestral arrangements (she adores Andrea Bocelli) and is a casual admirer of Carpenters music, so as a litmus test I’ve sent the video to her to see what she thinks. I’ll report back here with her comments.

Wow we're almost here gang.
I've already seen criticisms about this release, but it's nice to hear YOM and MCD like this.
The ending of MCD is superb.
If you close your eyes it's literally like Karen is singing in front of you. I don't mind that the orchestra was pushed back in the mix. It's actually kind of a nice effect.

That's how I feel. Whatever we get is a bonus at this stage. It may not live up to everyone's expectations, but neither has some of their past work. I am also just going to close my eyes and enjoy every second!!!

I can’t wait to hear what the musical segues will be like on this album and how the whole thing will flow as a collection. Looking at the running order again, and listening to that cold ending on Yesterday Once More, I noticed that the key it ends in is completely different to the one that I Need To Be In Love begins with. I’ve got a feeling those interludes are going to be quite intricate, with various modulations and will make for a very special addition to this album.

I’m also over the moon that my all time favourite Carpenters song, Touch Me When We’re Dancing, gets such a prominent place in the running order :love:. Great opportunity for a natural segue from For All We Know into that because the key is the same.

The Carpenters announce orchestral album

Last edited:
Looking at the running order again, and listening to that cold ending on Yesterday Once More, I noticed that the key it ends in is completely different to the one that I Need To Be In Love begins with.

I may have spoken too soon. I’ve just noticed that on all the latest press releases containing the tracklist, that Hurting Each Other - which was in the running order after Yesterday Once More - has been dropped. There would have been a natural flow between those two in terms of the key of each song. That now appears not to be the case. It’s now listed as an album of 17 tracks (including the overture). What will that mean for that cold ending on Yesterday Once More?

Last edited:
I may have spoken too soon. I’ve just noticed that on all the latest press releases containing the tracklist, that Hurting Each Other - which was in the running order after Yesterday Once More - has been dropped. There would have been a natural flow between those two in terms of the key of each song. That now appears not to be the case. It’s now listed as an album of 17 tracks (including the overture). What will that mean for that cold ending on Yesterday Once More?
I may have spoken too soon. I’ve just noticed that on all the latest press releases containing the tracklist, that Hurting Each Other - which was in the running order after Yesterday Once More - has been dropped.

UMemusicteam is pushing the Beatles White Album on Instagram. I hope they will do even more for this new album coming out.

I can’t wait to hear it. Even if some of the music sounds similar to what we have, I am excited to have the interludes, etc.

I was wondering though. All of the other Royal Philharmonic albums have a picture of the orchestra on the cover with the artist. Maybe they didn’t because Richard was so involved with this one?

Jonathan

I've found from buying CDs from Target with bonus tracks that they tend to mirror what the Japan bonus track is. Therefore, I think there's a good chance the bonus track will be Please Mr. Postman.

The only reason I don't agree with this is based on previous info from John Eidsvoog who confirmed that there are 19 songs including the Overture. He also sorta confirmed (at that time) Stephens list as very accurate and Stephens originals list had "Those Good Old Dreams" and Please Mr Postman both included.

We know now that the CD has gone on pre-order that there are 17 songs plus the Overture=18. Not like John had originally said. Yet we find out that Japan with have 18 songs plus the Overture=19 (adding Please Mr Postman) This confirms John's original post that 19 songs will appear plus the Overture.

So why would we not get "Those Good Old Dreams" if John confirmed that Stephens list as being very accurate and Target's would be 18 songs plus the Overture=19 (has to be the missing track, Those Good Old Dreams)

Stephen, not sure why you are saying that...Hurting Each Other does appear as track #3.

Carpenters with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra - CD + Litho

Just referencing these UK sites, which seem to have changed in the past 24 hours:

The Carpenters announce orchestral album

The Carpenters are releasing a new album with The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra

If I’m wrong, great :)

These are just news sites reporting inconsistencies. The Official site has the track listing, they can't offer people to pre-order with an incorrect track listing, that's all I'm saying. It's even on CD Japan and they have never been wrong on a track list. Those UK news sites you listed are wrong.

couldn't agree more :)
I listened to these for the first time yesterday, through my head-phones and they are simply beautiful to listen to. there`s a lot you can hear through those very often, that you may not through the hi-fi system, well, at least I find you do.

`Yesterday Once More and one person commented “I don’t hear new orchestral arrangements, sounds exactly [like] the original song.`

must be deaf :)

couldn't agree more :)
I listened to these for the first time yesterday, through my head-phones and they are simply beautiful to listen to. there`s a lot you can hear through those very often, that you may not through the hi-fi system, well, at least I find you do.

`Yesterday Once More and one person commented “I don’t hear new orchestral arrangements, sounds exactly [like] the original song.`

must be deaf :)

I’ve only listened to the tracks through my iPhone speakers from YouTube and while the track sounds similar, there were definitely parts that sounded different and more fuller.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom