📣 News Carpenters With The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry that I haven't been able to answer people's questions about the album. I have to rush to work! I've posted not so much a review as a blow-by-blow description on the 'Personal Reviews' thread, but, warning... Only read it if you want a spoiler!!! Happy listening, everybody!!

I did just hear "Ticket to Ride" which was released a few weeks ago. Why it took me so long, I'm not sure. That sounds really nice. The differences are somewhat subtle but they are there. It's clearer in general and the strings widen the stereo image nicely. The first drum hit on "he said" is slightly late. I'm guessing Richard didn't bother to fix it. It doesn't bother me too much but of course, rabid fans are going to notice. Nice-Sounding track all around.

Ed

Are the Aussies coming in with the first reviews?!! I am not looking just glancing. It is sooooo tempting to read them :twisted:, but I will not...:angel:
Me, too. But I've come this far, I want the first listen to be filled with all the emotions that will come naturally. I won't read the reviews.

came across this review of the album, which I thought was interesting.
the one thing that Richard has mentioned and can be clearly heard on the three tracks released so far, is that Karen`s voice would (and is) be more prominent, which it certainly is, yet this review seems to disagree.

`
Interesting, but.....

This is an interesting recording, but, for me the voice of Karen Carpenter is the important factor, some of the orchestration seems to detract from her voice. Merry Christmas Darling, for instance, I feel was better in its original format, the R.P.O. are clearly talented, but, this does not work for me as a long time fan of The Carpenters, I prefer the original recordings.`

Having heard the album twice this morning I disagree with the reviewer . The fact that Karen’s lead is more upfront is actually probably the most notable feature of this new release. I felt that it took more than one listen to fully appreciate the RPO because the first time around my ears are more focused on the vocals.

Having heard the album twice this morning I disagree with the reviewer . The fact that Karen’s lead is more upfront is actually probably the most notable feature of this new release. I felt that it took more than one listen to fully appreciate the RPO because the first time around my ears are more focused on the vocals.

Couldn`t agree more :)
I did a bit more looking around after spotting that review and was left rather staggered at the amount of bad reviews I came across!
now whilst the tracks may not have been changed as drastically as some of the other R.P.O projects, the very fact that to me, the orchestra makes a difference and Karen` voice is just so much sharper and clearer, is enough for me, so surely that is enough, but I guess you can`t keep everyone happy.
personally, it`s the best £13 I`ve spent all year :)

Yes I am with you totally. There is just enough rpo and Karen sounds even more amazing - if that is possible . Also this album sounds like it was recorded in one session, unlike other best of compilations which to me always sounded like a collection of recordings done at different times. This makes it a joy to listen to. My only complaint would probably be that one punched in lead vocal in goodbye to love . I wonder why Richard did that - perhaps there was some background noise in that part of the lead that he couldn’t remove . Oh and also not a fan of the choir at the beginning and in the end .

I love the small snippets of classical-sounding acoustic guitar on a few songs. Brilliant! And Richard’s arrangements, the musicians and Karen and Richard’s original vocals on ‘Superstar’ and ‘Rainy Days and Mondays’ take these two songs to new heights! The drama and pathos of these songs is brought out all-the-more. Who would have thought that was possible?

Just had my first listen. WOW! Richard wrote a wonderful 'score' - much more than I had imagined. Overall, I'm quite impressed and thrilled to hear Karen in different enough arrangements that the tracks feel new and familiar. Richard's arrangements and attention to detail are genius.

Mine downloaded just a little after 7 pm HST Thursday evening, which is Midnight EST. Going to listen for the first time on my Sony portable CD player tonight before sleep. I am probably one of the last ones to hear this, but it's still better than waiting for my physical Amazon order to ship!

Is there a way for us to listen to Please Mr. Postman? I want to listen to it badly and to see if it segues from We’ve only Just Begun.

All vocals are crystal clear and feel as a fresh clean breeze and Karen’s nuances that make up her vocal style are carefully brought forward to our attention. I love the orchestra weaving in and out between the songs and some new text painting offered during the songs. I’ll keep it this general for there are people who have not yet listened. It’s definately a treat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom