Caterina Valente sings Canto de Ossanha

Status
Not open for further replies.

lj

The link below has an amazingly perfect live 1975 performance by Caterina Valente of the Baden Powell and Vinicius de Moraes classic "Canto de Ossanha."

Now retired, Caterina Valente is of Italian ancestry and was arguably Europe's greatest pop/jazz female vocalist in the last 50 years. In the allaboutjazz.com site critics say:
--Jazz critic Leonard Feather--"Caterina Valente is more a jazz singer than many artists so identified in the U.S. Her conception, phrasing, and timbre are exceptional."
--Folha de Tarde, Brasil 1968--"Ela e a maior do mundo !" (She is the world's best)
--Los Angeles Times 1987--"Valente: A vocal superstar in any language."

Per Caterina's own website's photo gallery she is friends with and/ or worked with the giants of the business such as Gilbert Becaud (composer of the TJB's "What Now My Love"), Michel Legrand, Count Basie, Quincy Jones, Claus Ogerman, Burt Bacharach, Charles Aznavour, and is seen in the 1980's with Jobim, Edu Lobo and Vinicius de Moraes. I have a black and white video distributed some years ago by Nostalgia Family Video of the Hollywood Palace from 1965 where Caterina was the hostess with guests Bill Cosby, Brazilian great Luis Bonfa, and Herb Alpert and the TJB performing live the songs "Whipped Cream" and "Lonely Bull."

For me, only Eydie Gorme can match Caterina's dazzlingly acrobatic vocal technique. Buy Eydie's "Blame it on the Bossa Nova" and "Steve & Eydie, Bonfa and Brazil" albums as proof.

In the age or rock music not much is said nor recognition given towards the incredible Middle of the Road music and talent of the 1960s. Billboard Magazine's Easy Listening charts were dominated in the 60s by the likes of the TJB, Brasil 66, Sinatra, Streisand, Tony Bennett, Steve & Eydie, Peggy Lee, Sammy Davis Jr., Dean Martin, Vikki Carr. With no disrespect towards the great rock of the 60s, as a teenager in the 60s--easy listening was my favorite music. By the 1970s these artists were no longer heard on the radio. How sad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fL8m-Rdx23E

I agree...--Too ordinary sounding...

Something from THE ETHEL MERMAN DISCO ALBUM comes to mind... :sad:

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom