CD warnings

AM Matt

Forum Undertaker
I was looking at Columbia labels & or CBS CD's which say: This Compact Disc was manufactured to meet critical quality standards. If you believe the disc has a manufacturing defect, please call our Quality Management Department at 800 257-5858, Ext. 863. New Jersey residents should call 609 235-4747, Ext. 863. From Warner Bros.: The music on this Compact Disc was originally recorded on analog equipment, prior to modern noise reduction techniques. This Compact Disc preserves, as closely as possible, the sound of the original recording, but its high resolution also reveals limitations in the master tape, including noise and other distortions. Also from Warner Bros.: The music on this Compact Digital Disc was originally recorded on analog equipment. We have attempted to preserve, as closely as possible, the sound of the original recording. Because of its high resolution, however, the Compact Disc can reveal limitations of the source tape. By the way back in May or June of 1990, I bought the late Del Shannon's 1962 CD "Little Town Flirt" (Stereo version) BUT that CD has skipping noise. I checked & it looks like the CD was in great shape but I threw it away back then. Did anyone knew about any CD which had skipping noise??

This wasn’t a commercial release, but I’ve got a CD-R from December 25, 1990 that was sent to radio stations, along with a vinyl version (so that if radio stations were still vinyl-only, or CD-only, then they had the option) of “Solid Gold Scrapbook”, and in the middle of one of the announcer’s segments, you can clearly hear on the CD the record needle jump and skip (the vinyl plays fine all throughout) over the vinyl master. Also, compared to the vinyl, the overall sound quality is not as sharp: clearly the CD was mastered from a vinyl copy rather than the master tapes that SGS would’ve made for the vinyl pressing. Why they didn’t play the tapes twice (once for vinyl) to get the best CD quality is a mystery. I guess they figured that over the radio at the time people wouldn’t notice.

I heard of "Solid Gold Scrapbook" (NOT the DJ Dick Bartley) but the other DJ but I forgot his name (1990 - 1991).

On other parts of the program there were skips in the exact same location (like the opening to Brenda Lee’s “Rockin’ Around The Christmas Tree”) indicating that they were using a worn vinyl copy, but I thought it was interesting how the CD had that one skip and the vinyl didn’t.

The Outsiders "Capitol Collectors Series" (1966 - 1969) (from 1991) (reissued from Collectibles) also had funny noises!! The 1966 song "Time Won't Let Me" has the horn section on the right speaker & the late lead singer Sonny Geraci on the left speaker while the singers are saying "Oh no" & "wait, wait, wait that long" on the right speaker BUT that song on the CD only has the horn section & both Sonny & singers on both speakers in stereo (probably a remix)!! When the 25 track CD was done, it also made funny sounds!!! That CD also had skipping noises!!! That CD is NOT available on Apple iTunes, only the recut new versions though.

Back
Top Bottom